Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Campfire    Hunters safety recertification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters safety recertification Login/Join 

posted
I have helped teach hunters safety for some years now. I started because my dad was an instructor so it was another way to spend some time with him. Teaching kids took alot of patience but to watch them learn and see the excitement on there faces when they passed was worth it. When my dad passed away I continued to help teach the classes each year. I did have a good feeling that I was helping to teach the safety part of hunting but I felt it was also way to make sure kids get into the woods to carry on the tradition.

The last time my recertification was due I had to make myself do it. I received an email today saying it’s time again and I’m thinking of not doing it. I have seen a trend and each year it seems to get worse. I see kids show up that have no interest in the class. They don’t pay attention at all. They talk back and show no respect. It’s the parents that want them to take it. I do feel bad for the 4 or 5 kids in the class that really want to be there.

I guess I’m just kind of talking out loud here on something that kind of bothers me. I know there will always be afew that want to hunt and enjoy the sport but from the trend I have seen it is going down hill. Does anyone else here teach hunters safety? If so, have you seen the same trend?

Posts: 274 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: July 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It's sad to say but I think we see it in all walks of life. As a sportsman I thank you for all your hard work to pass it on. No doubt our way of life is in danger of going away.

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
to bad it is considered a pay, attend, and pass class. no one thinks you should fail.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We have a rule that all the book work is done before the class. Anyone shows up without book work done they are out. A lot of parents feel that they paid for the class and they shouldn’t have to do it ahead of time. Other rules that have been argued is we are there to teach safety so we shouldn’t have the rule if a student has his finger on the trigger at anytime while handling a gun or if at any point a gun is pointed at anyone it is a failure. We should be lenient on them as they are just starting out. It is a class that most are just expecting a pass on.

Posts: 274 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: July 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn't want to be a teacher or instructor of any kind nowadays. People are too spoiled and they think that they are entitled for anything and everything. I let my skydiving coach raiting expire because I have no desire working with people who don't want to listen and to show respect.

Posts: 261 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: June 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not a new trend. Experienced some years back teaching pistol and rifle classes. The classes were for competition - juniors starting out- even had to lean on my own middle son a couple times ( in my class and he NEW BETTER). I can believe the attention span is less now days. Stopped teaching in the early 2000's, just plain tuckerd out.

Posts: 526 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
the 4 or 5 kids in the class that really want to be there

You should do it for them.

Stick to your guns (pun intended) and rules, they obviously aren't getting challenged elsewhere.

Easy for me to say, I'm not the one teaching the class.

Posts: 2744 | Location: lake of the ozarks, mo. | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post