Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Jules
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375JDJ carbine buck Login/Join 

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted
Saturday afternoon i get to the ladder stand around 3:00pm and get situated...stand is in mixed oak timber, mostly mature trees, and we've been burning that area every few years so with the understory & scrub brush gone, visibility has improved to where it is generally not too hard to see 100+ yards depending on direction.

The stand is on a ridge on the north side of my property & this year there seemed to be no hunters on the 280acres the neighbor owns adjacent to me.

about 4:00 i hear something & turned just in time to see a small buck leap the fence a hundred yards or so away, he had apparently came behind me & downwind & caught my scent...he was on alert but not panicked, he stood still for a minute & then slunk off quietly through a small cedar thicket. He was only a 2 yr old smallish 8-point.

An hour later i hear a similar sound back behind me, followed by the unmistakable crunch of leaves of a deer walking...humidity was low & leaves very dry. It pauses now & then, & i finally see him, he had been angling down the hill & would pass on my left. At around 60-70 yards he turns on a trail & is angling slightly away, and i decide i can slip a bullet though the mid-back area & angle it through the boiler room at that angle...i wait for him to stop. I never did raise the binoculars, it was easy to see at that range he was a mature buck, with a solid body.

The gun in hand was a 24" stainless .37JDJ from the TC custom shop, wearing a Leupold 1.75-6x short tube with heavy duplex. It was loaded with a new bullet for me, the Lehigh Defense .375 185gr Controlled Fracturing; at 75 yards the rifle would mostly cloverleaf those..i never did clock those but guessing them to be at about 2500+ fps.

at the shot he was literally shoved forward & did a nose dive in his tracks. I'll post some post-mortem pics of damage, and a pic of the recovered bullet...after passing through the back & rib cage, it broke the offside shoulder & cam to rest under the hide at the base of the neck. Bullet was devastating!

Pics:

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7346 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sweet rig, nice buck, & great story. Thanks for sharing. Waiting in suspense for the PM pics.

Posts: 100 | Location: louisiana | Registered: November 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
VERY nice!! Congrats!

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19687 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
What a nice buck! I enjoyed all of the details.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4631 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Great post all the way around , buck , photos and good details. Congratulations on a really nice trophy !

Posts: 906 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice one.

I'm kind of surprised it didn't exit. That bullet must have expanded dramatically to stop under the hide.

thumbup

Posts: 864 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
It’s an interesting bullet design with an impact velocity range of 2000 fps - from 1200 fps to 3200 fps. I’d hate to see what happens with an impact velocity near 3000 fps, but it certainly worked well for the OP.

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 940 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congrats nice deer.

Posts: 877 | Location: Ga. | Registered: January 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
WTG, Gerald!

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1797 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
nice buck, always a fan of the 375 JDJ...congrats

Posts: 720 | Location: Idaho | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice buck and story.

Posts: 446 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Nice one, congrats!

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2112 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
When i had posted an inquiry a week ago or so, Doc had mentioned that he found this bullet to be very destructive.
That was most definitely the case on the first try, but in all fairness my shot angle was such that a bit of backstrap & tenderloin was sacrificed to get the bullet where it needed to go.

At the point of impact, it created a massive cavity from the hydrostatic shock as the bullet opened up violently. The hole was big enough to stick both fists through; it kind of reminded me of what happens when you hunt gray squirrels with .22magnum HP's, just on a larger scale.

Some years ago back when i was using a 14" .375win, i found that at times i wished the sierra 200's & hornady 220's would open up a bit more when no bones were hit...from appearances i'd say this bullet would be dynamite in that application for .375win pistol use.

I had been loading the 210gr Barnes X bullet in the JDJ, and when switching to the lehigh 185's i kept my powder charge the same. Pressures seemed mild in doing so & i felt i could load up for more speed, but my barrel shot well & after seeing bullet trauma i surely do not need any more expansion. I'l just make it a point to stay off the shoulders so as not to explode the good eatin parts. Smile

When hunting in thick stuff i dont want to look for "iffy" blood trails, and i doubt that will be an issue with this combo. The barnes .375 certainly opens up, but not as much as the Lehigh.

i'll get some bullet pix; all the petals broke off & appeared to take their own paths , as pretty much all major organs were perforated. The base that ended up in the neck area looked like a soup-can full wadcutter...i'll also get weight on that, guessing it gave about 2 feet of penetration.

really itching to go test a few on the local hogs that are messing with my deer feeders.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Posts: 7346 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Holy cow.... what a hole.

Posts: 446 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congrats on a nice buck.

Thanks for the pics and all the details. The little 1.75-6x Leupold is really hard to beat on smaller rifles. Let us know how how those bullets do on the hogs.

Jon

Posts: 1588 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Gruesome! I killed an 8 Point Louisiana Whitetail with my .358 JDJ using the R-P 200 grain PSP Core-Lokt. This bullet was designed for the .350 Remington Magnum but works great in the .358 JDJ good killer without massive destruction.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3484 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great buck!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2703 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very nice buck

I shoot a 21" barreled 375JDJ I load it with 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps so you must be close to 2500fps with those 185gr Lehighs

I'm very interested in trying that bullet especially in my 14" 375JDJ but I'm in BC Canada I do nt believe they are available up here.

Posts: 21 | Location: BC Canada | Registered: January 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camp Cook:
Very nice buck

I shoot a 21" barreled 375JDJ I load it with 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps so you must be close to 2500fps with those 185gr Lehighs
I'm very interested in trying that bullet especially in my 14" 375JDJ but I'm in BC Canada I do nt believe they are available up here.
\

The accubonds shot great in my 15" SSK contender pistol barrel, and several years back i killed a cow elk with that combo.....somewhere i still have the recovered bullet.

This particular barrel has accounted for a few good deer, and a few hogs, and maybe by co-incidence the last deer i took with this barrel was a couple of years ago and was in the very same ladder stand on a morning hunt. In fact, I save the GPS co-ordinates on my phone for all my stands so i can approach from any wind angle in the dark & i had named this stand "375jdj" earlier this year, so maybe it was fated to be?

This barrel has shot pretty much any bullet i fed it more than well enough to use reliably, but glad to have found this combo, and the barnes 210gr X bullets will still print to within an inch or so of the point of aim with the barrel sighted for the 185's. Maybe if i ever take it out for elk i'll use the 210's.

Next time i do a range session i'll try to chrono this combo; in my 22" 338JDJ carbine, the barnes 160gr TTSX's are running about 2670fps, so i had guessed at 2500+ for the .375load in this 24" barrel.

Oh, and the buck as he looked tonight,,,,and he was pretty tasty. Big Grin

Groucho Marx

posted Hide Post
Gerald what times dinner

"The World Spins Forward"

Posts: 2720 | Location: lake of the ozarks, mo. | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Real nice story and shot!

Posts: 254 | Location: N. CA | Registered: November 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Way to go. Great write up and great pics on a successful hunt. And now you're making me hungry. Care to share your recipe? Looks delicious!

Posts: 544 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Is your 338JDJ a 338JDJ #2 ???

I shoot a 14" Contender barrel in 338JDJ #2 loads are 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps and 200gr SST's @ 2350fps.

I have both 14" and 21" 375JDJ Contender barrels been dreaming about having a 21" barrel in 338JDJ #2 as well.

I'm actually looking at selling my shortened to 22" stainless Prohunter rifle in 375H&H if I did I'd put that monies towards the longer 338JDJ #2 barrel.

That's a tasty looking dinner you had last night = I had blacktail deer Salisbury steaks...

Posts: 21 | Location: BC Canada | Registered: January 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If my memory is correct, I believe they are all "338 JDJ #2"s.

I think Jones changed the cartridge while he was still developing it. I think the only "#1's" would have been pre-production prototypes that were never put up for sale.

?

Posts: 864 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
mine is the #2 variant (444 Marlin brass)

Friend of mine had bought that one , decided he didnt want this much barrel, i was able to get it from him.

I really "NEED" a .358jdj to complete the set though. Big Grin
I called Marty a few days ago & he says they are working on a batch of barrels; they had the 358jdj in encore platform but no 'tenders, but to check back in another month or so.

Groucho Marx

posted Hide Post
I have a 21" T/C Custom Shop high gloss blued magnaported 35 Rem barrel been dreaming of rechambering it to 358JDJ but decided not to because my 87 year old dad likes it to much.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camp Cook:
I have a 21" T/C Custom Shop high gloss blued magnaported 35 Rem barrel been dreaming of rechambering it to 358JDJ but decided not to because my 87 year old dad likes it to much.

I don't blame him. That sounds about perfect.

For the JDJ, old Jones-his-own-self used to say about rechambering factory T/C barrels, that he would do it, but the rechambered T/C always seemed to be "slower" than the equivalent purpose built in house barrel.

So you should just have one made straight up anyway.

Hey, glad I could help.

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Beautiful buck and Carbine!!

Posts: 98 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: January 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post