Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Jules
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New old Encore Login/Join 

Picture of rickt301
posted
Picked up an early Encore made in 1998 the other day. The barrel on it is a 270 and the guy I bought it from said that is the barrel that came on it new. It is a very well made piece, lock up is perfect with zero side play. It came with an older compact Bausch and Lomb 2-8 power scope on it. It shot right at MOA with Remington 130 gr. factory loads and much better than that with reloads pushing the 130 gr. Sierra BTSP, an easy 3/4 inch shooter. This all said I bought this rifle mostly to get a straight walled cartridge barrel for it to use in Michigans Lower deer zone where only muzzleloaders, shotguns and straight walled cartridges are allowed. Presently however I am planning on doing some long range steel shooting and may use the 270 barrel some but really thinking about getting a 6MM Creedmoor barrel to play with because of the availability of good match bullets in that bore diameter and reduced recoil. I see that Bobby has some recent experience with a EABCO accuracy barrel in 6.5 BRM and might consider getting one in 6MM Creedmoor if accuracy is up to par (better than the 270 factory barrel). I ordered a #3 spring kit for it as the trigger is a bit heavy on the pull weight. Anyone think the combination would be a good up to 700 yard steel shooter?

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Heck yea, the 6 creed is good out to beyond 1300. With some of the newer match bullets, you can get beyond that.

As to barrel makers, SSK can make you pretty much whatever you want and accuracy should be well sub moa.

On the straight wall, given any thought to which cartridge? I don't know Michigan regs so no clue as to what you're limited too. If allowed, the 45-70 is fantastic in an encore.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19271 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would be interested in true values of what the 6CM has over the old 243.
Support for the CM line is pretty amazing. Twist and new bullet designs, both of which were unheard of when some “old” cartridges were designed. Other than fitting in a black rifle platform I still don’t see the magic. I have seen results from the 260 and 6.5 CM, bolt gun there is less than the cost of a cup of coffee to argue.

I look to SP for a lot of TRUE information and not inflated to crazy proportions.

I am with Mike, on this. Is there a minimum and maximum case length and bullet diameter?

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2843 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of rickt301
posted Hide Post
Case has to be less than 1.8 inches long and 35 caliber of bigger. 357 Max, 450 Bushmaster,350 Legend etc. I agree that the 243 and 6MM creed are not all that different. Maybe a bit longer barrel life for the latter. I would be happy with a 6MM Remington myself but ammo and case availability on that one have diminished greatly. The 6MM Creedmoor has all that in spades presently. Lots of good to be said for the 243 but it needs a 1-8 twist barrel to push the heavier bullets. The 6.5 Creedmoor has plenty in the plus column also.

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As you know, the 357 max has a lot going for it in the straight wall venue. Mine is a 21" MGM in heavy factory contour. It has taken a lot of deer just south of the border in Northern Indiana for me. Lots of fun if you reload and can find the bullets you like. Hornady XTPs or the old SSPs are great. I think Speer still makes a .35 caliber pointy type soft top in 180 grains also.

Posts: 439 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If your shots are 100 yards or less as they are in these parts a .44 mag carbine will do you about as well - and components as well as factory rounds are readily available.

Posts: 439 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
I would be interested in true values of what the 6CM has over the old 243.
Support for the CM line is pretty amazing. Twist and new bullet designs, both of which were unheard of when some “old” cartridges were designed. Other than fitting in a black rifle platform I still don’t see the magic. I have seen results from the 260 and 6.5 CM, bolt gun there is less than the cost of a cup of coffee to argue.
The Creed's claim to fame is less recoil and fast twist, that's all it has on the original 243. The 243 is a better long range round, in a fast twist, for the long range game WITH the exception of the additional recoil. That's why its not popular for PRS. Less recoil, in PRS, means you may be able to spot your impact and be able to adjust for your next shot. Wink

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19271 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A good muzzleloader barrel makes a great all season deer gun in the Encore. My 209x50 has put more venison in the freezer than any other firearm. The 45-70 smokeless conversions are also an option to consider

Picture of rickt301
posted Hide Post
I have four muzzleloaders and bursitis in both shoulders. I have used Shockey's Gold to a level of satisfaction and done my share of hunting with them. I have gotten where I like centerfire rifles the best to hunt with. I found a 44 magnum barrel and think I will get it for my Michigan yearly trek. I have plenty of bulllets and cases to last a long time.

Picture of rickt301
posted Hide Post
I put some rounds through the 270 barrel today. A fine shooter it is too. Win cases, 43.5 grains of I4895 pushing a 130 gr. Sierra BTSP gave me three three shot touching groups in a row! The Bellem spring kit also came today after I got done shooting and I have to say the factory trigger is a bit harder to squeeze than I like so maybe I can get it just right.

posted Hide Post
Nice! Sounds like you've had a lot of great times already - and many more to come. Those Bellm springs make a big difference too. Great upgrade to the trigger group.

posted Hide Post
I did the 4831 and 130’s for years. It did the job numerous times, but it just left me wanting at times. R26 entered the scene. Buddy and I got a pound to taste test in a few rifles, published data peaked our interest. It was spot on, surprisingly enough. My 270 has always ran faster than his by close 100FPS. I decided I was going to try some 150’s, book load and this thing now thinks it is a 7mag, AND some of the best groups ever with this rifle. That first pound was all but gone, local Scheel’s had powder on sale and I snatched up 16lbs for the two of us.
I made mention to several folks to try some, they were stuck on other powders. Now it sounds like it is as tough to find as Varget and 4350.

I am with you Mike,on the angle of the two 6mm’s. Got into a discussion last week with a few guys, they informed me the 6CM would put the 243 in the scrap heap, because the CM had a fast twist. I mentioned a 243 could have the same twist and got the deer in the headlights look.
Not knocking any of the new cartridges at all. I look at it like a tool box with tools in it, gotta have the right tool for the job.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2843 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of rickt301
posted Hide Post
There are two places where a sharp shouldered case is better, less case trimming and longer barrel life though not sure if the longer neck of the CM doesn't contribute to this as well. I have a Savage 243 that I am shooting now and it works just fine with bulllets up to 100 gr. Boatails 1-91/8 twist barrel. Have not tried the Hornady 105 HPBT yet. This said I already have 600 rounds at least through this barrel.

I have heard of R26 but it might as well be Unicorn horn dust, never seen any! I use I4895 for mild target loads in the long action cases and sometimes it works really well. For full power loads I have been using one of the 4350's for years, not for absolute top speed but good accurate 3000fps level loads. Have to say nothing I have hit well with a 130 out of any of my 270's has ever traveled much. That said if I ever see a pound of R26 I am snatching it up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rickt301,