Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a flashlight an other gadget? Login/Join 

posted
So I had my old million candlepower spotlight give up the ghost so I went on a foray looking for a replacement.

I wanted something of a size that was manageable, cordless so I could take it anywhere, with rechargeable batteries so it wouldn't just be a battery black hole, and oh yeah..as bright as the freaking sun.. or close, and be able to light up the back yard like daytime!

After a couple weeks looking and researching, this is what I decided on..Its a bit pricey but seems to fit the bill..Got rechargeable batteries and a charger to go with it. Should be here Friday.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fen...2-u2-led-flashlight/

Posts: 2196 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Give the report when you get this. 2900 lumens will be insane. I have their TK35 at 860 lumens and it is amazing. Is casts more light than my old 1M candlepower beast from the old days.

--------------------------------------------------
Southern Arizona FFL/SOT
quiettimesports@gmail.com

Posts: 546 | Location: SoAZ and SoIN | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I will do that, give a report.

I looked at the TK35 in the store but shyed away because of the CR123 batteries it took. I have several flashlights that take the CR123's and they eat them up. After going to the Fenix website I see the TK35 will also take the 18650 rechargeables..if I had known that I might have bought it.

I'll let you know how this thing works.. cant wait to get it!!

Posts: 2196 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 18650 rechargeables sold me. They sure beat the 123's. I look forward to hearing about 2900 lumens.

Southern Arizona FFL/SOT

Posts: 546 | Location: SoAZ and SoIN | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I wish the salesperson at the store would have known his product better.. but then I may have missed out on another 2040 lumens! HAHA!!

Yeah, I'm excited like a kid before Christmas to see how bright it is.

With the 18650's, do they just swap straight up for 2 CR123's or do you get a special battery holder for them with the light?

And what 18650's do you use and what charger? I'm new to these batteries.

Picture of varmint exterminator
posted Hide Post
thumbupI bought a Surefire Defender 500 lumens and don't leave home without it. A good flashlight can be a lifesaver.

------------------------------
Thank-You Jesus for being there for me and my family in times of need.

Posts: 847 | Location: Hill country TEXAS. | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have 3 Surefires..the little ones. They work great but eat the CR123's like candy. I do see they make them in a rechargeable now though.. the 123's.

posted Hide Post
OH THE AGONY!!

Got the flashlight today, but not the batteries or charger yet!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunt4570:

With the 18650's, do they just swap straight up for 2 CR123's or do you get a special battery holder for them with the light?

And what 18650's do you use and what charger? I'm new to these batteries.

Going by memory since the light is ~8000mi away at the moment, the 18650's fit in without an adapter and the 123's need an adapter. Now my head hurts trying to remember. I have to ask the wifey to send me some pix. More to follow.

How's the 2900 lumens!?!

Southern Arizona FFL/SOT

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rancilio:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hunt4570:

How's the 2900 lumens!?!

Again, I got the light but no batteries or charger yet.. mailman just came and still not here!!! cry cry

posted Hide Post
OK....

Got the batteries and charger yesterday, got em charging and by the time we got back from dinner it was dark and they were all charged up!! Whoohoo!!

OMG pointing this thing at the back yard, it looked like someone switched on the lights at the football stadium!! Not just a beam of light but enough spill to fill the yard, and that's an acre plus! Not completely side to side, but you get the idea. The highway is 920 yards from that window, and while I could not light up a car, I could light up those reflective signs!!

All in all pretty cool, and it makes the old 1-2 million candlepower spotlight seem like a bic lighter in comparison. I think its a keeper.

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
I've been pretty happy with the Fenix brand. Have 3-4 (smaller) units, a great headlamp also. My only complaint is that they are made in China. Would pay almost twice the price if it was USA strong. great features & quality.

Mike B

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
my vape pen uses those 18650 batterys... now i need the light, kinda like having a revolver and a carbine in the same cartridge lol

Posts: 86 | Location: princess anne md | Registered: October 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
With 18650's you need to be careful when charging them up...get a volt meter and check them frequently and pull them when fully charged...if you leave them on and your charger is not a smart charger they can "vent" on you...which is code for shooting about a three foot flame out one end of the battery...with dual batteries you have to be careful that they both have the approximately same charge...if they dont you can have a serious issue there as well...like blow the end off your flashlight while holding it...no I am not kidding...

CR123A batteries will work with the adaptor but takes two to equal an 18650...do your homework on the 18650's...some brands are better than others..I use CR123A's as they are easier to find and then just replace as needed...mine last quite a while...

Posts: 213 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree with what he says about paying attention to your batteries, lithium-ion are a different breed. Get protected batteries, they protect against over charging and against over discharging, and yes use batteries in the same state of charge.

Smart charger... Nitecore makes a good one the Intelligent Charger I4, bout 25 bucks

posted Hide Post
THIS is the place where you can get all kind of best flash lights and other useful quality gadgets.

Posts: 1 | Location: New Berlin, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: January 27, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I've kind of been looking for something similar but I want it with the option of a red or green filter along with white light. Any chance your light has that ability or did you run across one with that feature?

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19847 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Luckydawg13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunt4570:
I will do that, give a report.

I looked at the TK35 in the store but shyed away because of the CR123 batteries it took. I have several flashlights that take the CR123's and they eat them up. After going to the Fenix website I see the TK35 will also take the 18650 rechargeables..if I had known that I might have bought it.

I'll let you know how this thing works.. cant wait to get it!!

I have the TK35 mounted on the side of my Remington 870 The LD22 in my pocket and the PD35 at bedside good lights

Kids that Hunt and Fish Dont Mug Old Ladies

Posts: 1144 | Location: illinois | Registered: January 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post