Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What knife brand do you prefer? Type? Login/Join 

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
For a daily carry knife-Kershaw Blur
It has several blade options, and one is very close to a drop point.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12168 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
There are soooooo many out there. Please tell me which you prefer.

I can’t give a direct answer to that question until I narrow it down a bit.

Folding, gentleman knife… Case

Folding, tactical knife… Kershaw or Cold Steal

Fixed, I am the weird one who likes military knives…

------------------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1524 | Location: Texas!! | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Kershaw DWO III

Posts: 22 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Fixed blades--Randall Made

Folders--Spyderco

Autos--Microtech,M.O.D.,old style w/Cryo treated blades

Tool knives--Leatherman,Wenger,Victorinox

Posts: 66 | Location: US | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ratgunner
posted Hide Post
Boker and Kershaw.

"nuttier than squirrel poop"

Posts: 157 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bear Skinner
posted Hide Post
Partially serated Kabar. Opens up a deer chest like Butta.

Posts: 2277 | Location: East Coast, NC | Registered: December 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of surgicalshot
posted Hide Post
ESEE
These will never let you down. Great fixed blades for every occasion. I just have a hard time deciding which one to take hiking, hunting, camping or work ..........etc...

LEO Sniper Instructor
Precision Rifle Instructor
Patrol Rifle Instructor
Shotgun Instructor
Firearms Instructor
Sniper/Observer

Posts: 535 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: February 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Late to this but I will have to say (MUELA). Awesome knife

Posts: 391 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well after getting my first Muela and how impressed i was i just got 2 more muelas. Incredible knives.

Posts: 391 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm a construction electrician so may be on the fringe, as I actually carry a knife for daily use as a tool.  My blade gets as much use as any screwdriver in my tool pouch, for cutting heavy rope, skinning insulation from large cables... lots of heavy duty jobs.

"Old School" journeymen preferred stout folders like the Case or Schrade Old Timer; then lock-backs like the Buck 110/120 became popular.  They're all proven performers, but I wanted a more burly lock mechanism and settled on Benchmades with "Axis" lock.  This design makes the Open/Close process a 1-hand, ambi move; adding the "assisted opening" feature makes the  knife nearly perfect for my needs.

For heavy duty work, I prefer a small fixed blade.  I haven't settled on a fav; I rotate thru a few - a (budget) Buck Omni, ESEE "Izula," Bark River Mini Canadian and - on the hi-priced end - a Busse Game Warden.  These out-perform the folders, but in many urban settings folks get nervous when they see a sheathed knife.

So my setup comes down to this...
• EDC -- Benchmade "Barrage 586"
• Sunday-Go-To-Meetin' or casual settings -- Benchmade "Emissary 470"  (only 2.2 oz!) 
• Work -- Barrage 587 "Warn" (Tanto blade)
• HD Work -- TBA.
• Multi-tool -- Leatherman "Wave"
• Bug-Out Bags (Get Home, G.O.O.D., SHTF, etc) -- 1 Mora + 1 multi + 1 large fixed like an ESEE 5, Becker BK2, KaBar, etc.

Thanks for listening.

TC Rookie... Full of questions and enthusiasm!

Posts: 23 | Location: SoCal (Bonita, a 'burb of San Diego) | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Every day for work or play- Benchmade Black Mini Barrage assist blade , dual purpose blade.

In my work truck- I have several Spyderco serrated blade knives for working around nylon rope and slings.

Hunting- Custom made knives from my friends-- drop point short blade knives with micarta handles.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3074 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of John Monroe
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago I traded into a Kershaw Splinter and it's taken the place of my Mirage as an EDC. It sits in the hand nicely, small enough to carry easily but large enough to handle most task. I like the blade profile and I'm actually a fan of AUS8.And the lock up is extremely stout. The only thing I would like is a cosmetic change. Mine has some funky red/purple synthetic scales. Some exotic wood would realy set this piece apart.

John A. Monroe

Posts: 6638 | Location: Thermopylae Ranch, Denison, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Benchmade, Gerber, and Kershaw. Being a native Oregonian, it only fits to carry "home grown" products!

Benchmade Stryker for everyday carry typically; however, currently carrying my mini AFCK. Prefer dual edge serrated/plain for my knives.

Kershaw blade trader is great for hunting, as is the Gerber utility exchange blade knive.

So many knives, so little time to use/carry!

Posts: 65 | Location: San Pedro | Registered: January 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I rotate a few different everyday carry (EDC) knives, and they are the Benchmade Axis Flipper, Zero Tolerance 801, and a Boker Tree Brand lock-back. While I own many, my EDC preference is the Benchmade with axis locks (especially their axis flipper). Their Nakamura model is also nice! I find frame locks too cumbersome to close efficiently but still better than a liner lock. The only frame lock I would recommend are the ones made of titanium (like the ZT 801). If I had to choose one knife for all time, it would be a toss-up between the Benchmade Axis Flipper (tan-color G10 grips) or the Zero Tolerance 801. I'd sell all my lock-backs and half my fixed blades before I parted with these two.

Posts: 963 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The Ka-Bar Warthog (old full tang model) has become my favorite skinning/field dressing knife. Easy to sharpen and holds an edge for a long time. I usually have a Ka-Bar BK2 Companion along also. Very strong well made knife that I'm glad Ka-Bar picked up the rights to. It will do almost anything I will ever need a knife to do.

Posts: 214 | Location: SW MT | Registered: July 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Case knives I carry daily. Have for 15 years.

In the kitchen, I have Old Hickory knifes, but half of those were my grand parents or great grand parents.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1524 | Location: Texas!! | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My EDC is two of the Benchmade Emmissary folders. One grey, one black.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/470-1

A 940 Osborne when slightly larger is needed.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/940

And fixed blades are Cabela's Alaskan Guide series.

http://www.cabelas.com/product...BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product...BSearch-All+Products

All of which are S30V.

Posts: 650 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of scratcherky
posted Hide Post
Buck 110 folding hunter.

---------------------------------
Don and man's best friend.
Still looking at the green side of sod.

Posts: 175 | Location: Louisville,KY | Registered: January 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Kershaw, havalon

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 800 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I hate messing up or loosing a nice knife, so my everyday carry is a Stanly folding box cutter I bought at Walmart for $8, if the blade ever goes down I just drop another one in.

Posts: 1162 | Location: California | Registered: November 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post