Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Knife and tool sharpening question Login/Join 

Picture of mrmurl
posted
I have a 1" X 30" belt sander and am wanting to use it to sharpen knives and also wood lathe chisels. My question is what grit and type of belts should I get for this job? I am planning to start small and then perhaps get a leather strop for the setup later. 400, 600, 800, or 1000 grit? I know enough to not hoss a blade into the belt and get it hot. Was going to practice on some older cheap blades first. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Murl

Mr. Murl
------------------------------
NRA Life Member

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary."

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 423 | Location: Mid-Missouri "Lake Pomme De Teere" | Registered: November 05, 2011Report This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of belt sander for sharpening- now for hoging a badly damaged ok. Much better is a slow speed wet wheel - better finish, won't burn the edge, ect. 900rpm or less motor wise. Those little wet units with 3600 rpm motors are a joke. 60-80 grit tool room wheel for getting, close specialty wheels after that like a paper wheel or a hard felt charged with jewels rouge. Might want to spend a bit of time on some of the knife forums for addition information. Nothing wrong with stropping but I don't have time for that.

Posts: 526 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
There are belt sanders and there are belt sanders. Buddy of mine makes a lot of blades when he has time. He does metal removal on his bar stock. Contour shank and everything. Go with ceramic grit belts. 1" is too narrow his is either 2 or 21/2" wide.
He can take a piece of stock and have it shave hair smooth and no pulling as in razor sharp in about 10 minutes. His belt sander is powered by a 2hp motor.
However it takes a lot of finesse to sharpen a blade and do a good job of it.
Jeff

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3020 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I have had this type of knife sharper for a couple of years now,
and have used it to sharpen lots of knives, including the OLD HARD BUCK models,
and it works off the power plug in the back of my Toyota PU and sxs, atv's with a 300w inverter also, and all I can say is Wow, it works!!!

Once you get use to using it, it will put a shaving sharp edge on just about anything you can get the belt on. I use it to put a sharp edge on the utility blades, the throw away types, arrow broad heades, etc.
The only item I have never tried is scissors, yet.

It was on sale and i got the whole package and carrying case for $120, for the KO version.

see info here:
http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpeners-12.html

Tia,
Don

--------------------------------
"Any person that fears me owning a firearm, then I have reason to fear that person"
--------------------------------
NRA Life Member
Sturm/Ruger Armours School-State of Nevada POST-Remington/ S&W Armour Schools-NRA Certified Range Master-State of Nevada POST Range Master-Jaycor Certified Pepperball Instructor-OC Pepper Spray Instructor-Tazer Instructor-NRA Law Enforcement Armours School-Lassen College LE Armours School-NRA Police Firearms Instructor Development School
Nam "Oct 67-Dec 68"
173rd ABN 2/503rd "Recon"
Retired 10/01/2009, 36+yrs

Posts: 1239 | Location: Western NV | Registered: August 21, 2012Report This Post