Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto knives? Login/Join 

Picture of John Monroe
posted
So now Texas allows the carry of automatic knives. I've been carrying the same old CRKT Mirage for about 10 years now and I'm shocked that I haven't lost it yet, but maybe it's time to change. Anyone out there carry an auto? I'm not sure I see the advantage but I don't want the cool kids to laugh at me. Any suggestions for a decent auto under $100? Is there such an animal?

------------------------------
John A. Monroe

Posts: 6638 | Location: Thermopylae Ranch, Denison, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
John I like the SOG's myself they are a bit pricey but you can find deals, here is one.

SOG Auts

Albert
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10572 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So educate me... is an "auto" knife the new name for a switchblade or is it something else?

Posts: 2172 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
YUP

Posts: 2075 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
So, if you just have a "flipper" lever, is that a semi-auto? scratch head

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3411 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
John, check out the "Piranha" line of automatics. These are highly regarded at reasonable prices.

Posts: 200 | Location: south georgia | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of John Monroe
posted Hide Post
I actually did give this a lot of thought and finally decided that I just can't see an advantage over my Mirage. Although my brother carries a gerber covert that I envy, but more for the design that the auto function.

John A. Monroe

Posts: 6638 | Location: Thermopylae Ranch, Denison, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of surgicalshot
posted Hide Post
There are just soooo many to pick from. It is hard to just pick one that is my favorite. I collect them, made them and sell them. Now days some of the asst. open is just as good as the auto's (a.k.a. Switch-Blade). Most Stiletto's are not really made to be used for every day chores, but beautiful for special occasions.

I would be glad to help you or supply you with any information that I may have if you an idea of style or use.

Kirk

LEO Sniper Instructor
Precision Rifle Instructor
Patrol Rifle Instructor
Shotgun Instructor
Firearms Instructor
Sniper/Observer

Posts: 535 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: February 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
Lone wolf knives are outstanding.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6974 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Single_Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have carried a SOG Auto-Tac for years.

Gave one to my Father in Law when he saw mine and fell in love with it -he carries his daily as well.

A buddy of mine likes the Benchmade he has but DANG they are pricey.

Posts: 524 | Location: North County, St. Louis, Mo. | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
My daily knife is the Kershaw Blur.
Assisted opening. It does everything I want it to.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://sebrests-usa.com/
http://www.sebrests.com/
SP's by Bayside Custom Gunworks, Nine Run Gun, Aaron Alexander, Mac's Gunworks, and Holland's Gunsmithing

Posts: 12064 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
protech's are nice. well made but they aren't under your price point.

here is a good site to take a look at.

http://www.bladehq.com/

Posts: 29 | Location: Iowa | Registered: December 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of John Monroe
posted Hide Post
I'm sticking with my CRKT Mirage for everyday carry. It opens quick enough and I just can't see an advantage to an auto knife. I do like the Kershaw asst opening knives but more for design than function.

John A. Monroe

posted Hide Post
I have several auto knives from both Benchmade and Pro Tech. Have found the assisted opening style of knive is just as fast and requires less maintenance. Good choice staying with the Kershaw and saving your money!

Posts: 62 | Location: Singapore  | Registered: January 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I live in TX also and recently acquired a Boker AK74 auto opener at House of Blades in Ft. Worth. Excellent quality, very reasonable price...think I paid right around 60 bucks for it.

Butch.

Posts: 4 | Location: Mineral Wells TX | Registered: March 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Crazy I carried a CRKT Mirage for 20 yrs. just retired it now
I carry a New CRKT. Endorcer it is spring assist it is as fast as a switch blade.

Posts: 493 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gibbshooter
posted Hide Post
Being a new member, I’ve limited myself to reading, but I must chime in here. I have a drawer full of knives of every price range and style - folders and fixed blade. I’d have to say that the style is more important than make. I really lean toward drop point and clip point blades, and my “favorite” depends on what I’m doing.

Posts: 2 | Location: Cottonwood Creek at Myrtle, ID | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Here in PA they're illegal and are a felony if your caught carrying. That said, and the fact that Benchmade did some serious anti- gun crap, I sold my last auto and bought an assisted opening Bear Ops. I actually picked it up direct from them at the nraam last year so I paid near retail price for it, about a c note. It gets daily use on cardboard and all sorts of packaging not to mention its been used to pry bar and a hammer. Can't remember the blade steel but it does fairly well at edge retention and sharpens pretty easily. The assisted opening is a fast a the Benchmade auto and I don't have the legal concerns. It is one of their emt knives so it has a integrated glass breaker and seat belt cutter, both features I appreciate in an edc knife since you never know when your going to slide off the road into a lake! Smile);

I realize this post is 7 years old but if you have a mind to look for a new knife, check out BladeHQ.com as they have an amazing selection with some of the best pricing I've seen! They also ship very fast! Placed an order with them 2 days ago and it shipped yesterday.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19534 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Where are the Bear Ops knives made? Been looking at the new autos for a while. Like surgicalshot said, there are so many to choose from it can get mind boggling. Thanks, Steve

Posts: 1200 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: September 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IHMSA15151:
Where are the Bear Ops knives made? Been looking at the new autos for a while. Like surgicalshot said, there are so many to choose from it can get mind boggling. Thanks, Steve
They're all made in USA. Some of the Bear & Son are not.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19534 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post