Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  REVOLVER-itis!    Cure for Old Model grip?

Moderators: Magnum Mike
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cure for Old Model grip? Login/Join 

Picture of big10
posted
So my brother acquired a Ruger 3 screw in 44 magnum from a Canadian who was repatriating to his home country and could not take it with him. He shot it and called me on the phone, "this is a miserable piece to shoot, what can I do about the handle", to which I said "trade it for a Bisley", haha. Since that isn't likey, I ask you plowhandle shooters, what grip or grip panels do you use to make heavy loads tolerable?

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6415 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Get a Hogue rubber grip. It fills the had more and stops the roll in the hand biting the web. It turned my heavy loaded 45 Colt Ruger black hawk into a pussy cat to shoot compared to the old wooden factory grips.

Posts: 1110 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Pachmayr grips, or Hogue grips if he has big hands take the bite out of the 44. He could also shoot 44 Specials for awhile till he gets used to the gun.

Posts: 305 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
He could also shoot 44 Specials for awhile till he gets used to the gun.

I suggested this as well. He is a handloader but has never done pistol cartridges. I explained it is easier than bottleneck stuff and that he could get a pound of HS-6 and load from mild to fairly wild in mag brass. I will forward the suggestions for the Hogue rubbers. Do they fit all Ruger handles, including the 3 screw?

thumbup Rod

Posts: 6415 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Yes the grips fit. Hogue also has the wood ones that somewhat convert it to a Bisley.

———————————————-
Bayside Custom Gunworks
(307) 746-9740
www.baysidecustomgunworks.net

Accuracy is final.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Is he shooting it with all 3 fingers on the grip? Depending on his hand size, it may work better to curl his little finger under the butt. That’s what I have to do and it makes a big difference. By sliding your hand down a little like that, you gain space between your knuckle and the trigger guard. Just something that helped me.

John

Posts: 1234 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: June 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 444Thumper:
Is he shooting it with all 3 fingers on the grip? Depending on his hand size, it may work better to curl his little finger under the butt. That’s what I have to do and it makes a big difference. By sliding your hand down a little like that, you gain space between your knuckle and the trigger guard. Just something that helped me.

John

Thanks for the tip, but it's not a knuckle issue, it is a beat up the hand issue. He feels the grip is too slim and it bites. I tend to agree. Even the factory Bisley grips are too slim, I went to the Hogue Cowboy panels and that made a big difference for me. I think a fatter handle would go a long way to distribute recoil, and although that Hogue mono doesn't do much for appearance it seems to work. It also covers the trigger guard so kills two birds.......

thumbup Rod

posted Hide Post
HOGUE TAMER grips will work well but are for larger hands.

Posts: 158 | Location: Washington State | Registered: August 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Maybe look at Herrett's Stocks. I recently put Jordan Trooper on a SW Model 69 I am not a seasoned big bore shooter. Shooting this particular pistol with the factory rubber grips was painful. I started developing a flinch due to the pain. The reduction in felt recoil with the new stocks is amazing. A lot of dry fire practice to get rid of the flinch and my groups have started to shrink considerable.

According to their website they will fit the same stock to a Ruger single action.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/jordontp.htm

Michael Gorman

Posts: 5 | Location: Worland, Wyoming | Registered: December 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If it's a dragoon style grip frame swapping grip frames with thicker grips might do the trick. I can't get used to the dragoon trigger guard.

Check out rwgripframes.com for a wide variety of old model options- many intended for larger hands and heavy kickers.

Posts: 21 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackson:
HOGUE TAMER grips will work well but are for larger hands.

I have small hands and my Hogue grip works well for me. Like I said earlier turned a beast into a pussy cat.

Posts: 1110 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Wondering if this is a Super Blackhawk or a Flattop Blackhawk. The Flattop .44 had a large frame but retained the smallish, original Ruger grip. Owing one, (and its for sale if anyone is interested) (shameless plug) I can say, that shooting the Flattop is a lot of fun, WITH LIGHT LOADS. Even then it can be a handful.

For many years gun writers gushed with love over that small grip. I wonder if they ever shot one, much less one with a full power Magnum load. Not recommended. It can be very painful and I have never been one to shy away from heavy recoiling handguns.

All that said, not sure, if it is a Flat top that there is much that can be done other than shoot .44 Special level loads. The Flat Tops are collector items anyway so why bother with heavy loads

Posts: 1748 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: March 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Wheelgun Aficionado

Picture of 6 shot
posted Hide Post
Not all flat tops are collectors, in fact most are just shooters but nice guns just the same. The slim grips can pose a problem! I have bigger, thicker grips that I make & use on mine that do tame it a bit but mostly I use lighter loads the old girl. Mostly 10 grs of Unique goes down the barrel with a 250 gr Keith. If you are interested in selling, swapping yours let me know.

Dick

Posts: 899 | Location: Soda Springs, Idaho | Registered: June 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Shoot me a pm

Posts: 1748 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: March 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post