Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Magnum Mike
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Calibers Login/Join 

posted
My friend that hunts my farm is toting a .44 Ruger and having some fun deer hunting here. That is too much power for me at my age.

I have a couple revolvers,(not for hunting), and a Striker .223. Curious if there is a long barrel revolver available to deer hunt with in a manageable recoil caliber? Never too many long range shots required here.

My budget isn't towards high dollar however. The gun shops around here are low-to-no revolvers on the shelves, would rather shop for a used one anyway.

I'm thinking maybe a .30 caliber would be ok for this area?

Posts: 269 | Location: the brushies | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just learned that Ruger has what I want in .327m with a 7.5" hunting barrel. Finding one will be difficult. Anybody have a suggestion on where to look?

Posts: 269 | Location: the brushies | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Probably gun broker will be your best bet or place a want to buy add in the classifieds. I bought one when they first came out but it's not going anywhere. The 327's have really dried up and the ones out there have gone through the roof price wise. Love the 327.

Good luck with your search.

Posts: 3484 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You should be able to find a 357mag revolver in your price range. That would have manageable recoil and be an effective deer cartridge with the right bullet / shot placement.

Gordon

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ala | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
You need to check your states handgun hunting regulations, I don't know if your state or any state allows any straight walled cartridge less than 357 mag to legally hunt deer.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10673 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I've done a lot of deer and 4 very large bucks with my 6" Python(.357) that worked very well. Think of a .41 Mag., too. Less recoil than a ,44, but equal performance on deer.

Posts: 1805 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You should be able to locate a used Ruger GP100 in 357 Magnum I would think. I had a 6" one for several years that I shot ICORE and Steel Challenge with. The one I had was a Blued version, and I was very impressed with how well the finish held up. I would not have a problem with another Blued one.
I replaced the GP100 with a S&W 627 X8 Custom Shop Model. Nicer handgun, but I do not shoot any better times in Steel Challenge with it over the Ruger.
Put a Fiber Optic front sight on the Ruger and it will be very shootable with open sights.
If you reload you can hunt with any of the Magnums, just turn down the speed, and throttle back on bullet weight to reduce recoil. With the Ruger Super RedHawk you can swap to the Hogue "Tamer" Grips that come standard on the 480 version. They really help soak up recoil.

Bob R

Posts: 331 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know you stated you wanted a longer barreled revolver but you may also want to look at something like a TC Contender. A 10 to 14 inch barrel in something like the 7mm TCU would be very easy on recoil, exceptionally accurate and a handgun that you can upgrade or downgrade as you like with the addition of different caliber barrels; just a thought. I would be cautious though as Contenders have an unusual reproductive system and tend to bread uncontrollably. I bought one and then one day I opened my gun safe and there were four and a fifth barrel; birth control pills do not work. My Ruger's seem to have a similar problem and appear to be just as fertile.

Good luck with your choice; I would second what another responder said to check if the 327 Fed. is legal for deer.

Posts: 12 | Location: Savannah, Ga. | Registered: March 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You can still find Ruger Blackhawks in 357 Maximum. The 10 inch barrel version really takes advantage of the round, and recoil is very manageable.

The 10 inch guns have screw on front sights, an easy thing to upgrade or replace with new if worn.

30 carbine and 327 are getting pretty light for medium game unless ranges are close and placement is certain.

The 44 mag might be too much, but a modest 44 special is a great game-taker. You can stay in the 900-1000 fps range with 200-240 grain bullets tailored to your recoil tolerance.

Posts: 79 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In the past several weeks I have had little luck at my 4 local shops, no revolvers and no TCs. I did find a .357 Tarus Hunter, looks kind of odd but haven't handled one.

I like the new Ruger that has .357 and 9mm cylinders both 7 shot(?). Honestly, all these shops kinda laugh and say good luck finding a revolver.

posted Hide Post
A Ruger 357 magnum shouldn't be to hard to find and with good bullets will serve you well at handgun distance. If you can tolerate a bit more recoil I would move up to the 41 magnum, it's a great caliber, perfect for deer and I'm sure you can find a used one. Good luck! I've taken many, many deer with mine.

Dick

Posts: 36 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: May 04, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The .223 Striker will take deer with the right load and good shot placement, if legal in your area. Also, like Taterjudge said, a .44 mag. or .45 Colt loaded with 240-260 grain hard cast bullets at 900-1000 fps will easily take deer out to 75-100 yards without heavy recoil.

Posts: 100 | Location: louisiana | Registered: November 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Stopped off tonight at a smith's shop and we talked revolvers. I'll keep up the search, that convertible .357/9mm Ruger looks like a choice for my area hunting. Missed a Ruger 41 at a local auction recently, would have filled the bill, but don't have any brass for it stored.

If there is a shop or website I should be watching, please direct me. I have a FFL to send it to. I do want a 7 inch there-abouts barrel if possible.

The smith and I were shooting the breeze about loading supplies, I happen to have put back a bunch of powder and primers, a few assorted caliber bullets and a bunch of .223 and 9mm brass. Finally got lucky and now can't locate a revolver.

I am refitting a scope from member here on the .223 striker, the factory twist is 9 so it will handle the 69 grain sierra game king which are on my shelf.

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Watch gunbroker for revolvers of your choosing. I agree with the others, a lighter loaded 44 mag or 45 colt would be awesome and since you reload it really opens up the options for you. A good 357 mag isn’t a bad choice either. While I have shot a 327 mag and love them, I don’t own one (yet), but I think it may be a bit light for deer. I wouldn’t go below a 357, but that’s just me. Personally I’ve had bad experiences with the Taurus brand and steer clear of them myself.

If you like the single actions, the Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks can’t be beat. If double actions are your thing, a GP100 or Redhawk or Super Redhawk would be tanks that last forever. I love S&W revolvers also, but prices on them have skyrocketed and I prefer the older models (no internal locks on the frame). For a work horse gun I just don’t think Ruger wheel guns can be beat for the money.

My woods walking gun is a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt with the 4 5/8” barrel. Loads can be from mild to wild. I typically carry 250gr in the 1000fps range and don’t feel under gunned for anything I would run into. This gun even with the shorter barrel is plenty accurate to take deer with the irons out to 75 yards, probably further but that’s about the edge of my ability for iron sights. The older I get the worse the eyes get for irons…

Chris

Posts: 644 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This is why I enjoy this site, Thanks Members! My first single six came here 45 years ago, and it still shoots .22 wmr out to 100yrds quite well (just for fun).

posted Hide Post
The most accurate revolver I have is a S&W 610, 10mm.
Probably hard to find one for sale though. Easy to shoot,
Not much recoil. But any 41, 44, or 45 can be loaded down
to a comfortable level, and still give good results with
proper bullet placement. A big heavy gun like a Super Redhawk
Soaks up recoil better, but is more mass to carry around.
Good luck with your search

“Why are you axin’ me?”
-Lizzie Borden’s mother

Posts: 67 | Location: Western NY | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Actually, the 610 is currently being produced by S&W. With its hottest loads or approached the bottom end of 41 magnum, it really is a good in between 357 mag and 41 mag.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19675 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I didn’t know that they brought the 610 back.
The one I have is a 610-1, 6-1/2”, marked
610 classic on the barrel. I love it. The
New ones probably have the hammer lock that
everyone loves

“Why are you axin’ me?”
-Lizzie Borden’s mother

Posts: 67 | Location: Western NY | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Yup, Smith brought back the 610 (think is a -3 in 4" & 6.5") and the 6" 648 last year. To my knowledge they both are still in production. I picked up a 6.5" 610 and a 648 as i dont get caught up in the "lock" sillyness so many seem to have an aversion. Do i like the lock? Hardly. Am i going to let some stupid little hole in the frame stop me from enjoying some really great wheelguns? NOT A CHANCE!

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19675 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My local Gun Shop "Double R Pawn & Gun" in Houston Missouri has a couple you might consider. (417) 967-2706

Ruger BlackHawk 41 Magnum 6-1/2" w/Box "Blued" in as new condition $699.99

S&W 28-2 N Frame 357 Magnum "Highway Patrolman" 6" BBL locks up like a vault on all 6 holes Pretty Clean Gun Does not look to have been fired much $995.99

S&W 25-7 N Frame 45 Colt 5" Non-Fluted Cylinder New $1095.00

He also has a couple Taurus Raging Hunter Revolvers I believe one was a 454, not 100% sure about the other one, but my best guess was a 357 Magnum. I did not look them over closely.

I hope this helps someone.

Bob R

Posts: 331 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
S&W Model 25 or 625 45ACP. Hornady 230 gr XTP +P load does 900 fps out of my 4" 625. Should be fine for deer at 50-75 yards even better if you get a 6" barrel.

Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
Life Member, New York State Rifle Association
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Posts: 165 | Location: Catskill Mountains NY | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
jtf, if you come up with a 41 magnum, I have a new box of Winchester brass I'll give you, just let me know.

Dick

Posts: 36 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: May 04, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post