Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading Information, Data & Equipment    Crimping bullets for single shot firearms

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping bullets for single shot firearms Login/Join 

posted
I load many different cartridges for the contender platform most fall in the range from 17 hornet to 7-30 waters. I don't have any of the big bore magnums so the 30 Herrett and 357 maximum are my top recoiling cartridges. I usually don't load any rounds to there max potential either. If I want more velocity from let's say a 6mm bullet like my 6mm TCU I'm using I would move up to a bigger case like a 6mm Bullberry and maybe a longer barrel.

So with that being said when I'm reloading for my single shot firearms I do not crimp the bullets in place on any of the rounds I use. I try to seat the bullets as close to the throat as possible but never crimp.

Just wonder how some of you shooting single shots load for the rounds you are using. If you crimp or don't crimp your bullets and why. Does crimping improve ignition and performance? Does not crimping casees like the 22 Hornet and 32-20 help extend brass life?

Thank you for you response. Mike

Posts: 67 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't load 32-20, but I do load 22 hornet. I never crimp them. I never crimp any of my Contender loads, including my "boomers". Those include 375 JDJ and 45-70. If I'm shooting cast bullets, I do use the crimp die to take all the bell out of the case mouth after seating the cast bullet. But I don't put any kind of positive crimp on the brass. Just return it to straight so it chambers easily.

Posts: 647 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
From my 45 years experience reloading I have found that all straight walled cartridges can benefit from some form of crimping, you get a more consistent powder burn. My 357 Max left unburnt powder without a crimp. I do not crimp any of my bottle neck rounds I shoot in the Contender/Encore.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10144 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
100% with hotrodal.....minus a few years. Wink

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9069 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Me3

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6341 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I never crimp bottlenecks but if I'm trying to improve accuracy I will play around with neck tension. On the straight walls I always use an M die so on those anything from straighten the case back up to a varying degree of crimp.

Jon

Posts: 1387 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp the 30 Herrett but I do the Max. Had several Max barrels and were never real accurate without a crimp. Started using a profile crimp on it and now are dead nuts with all different weight bullets too.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank folks for the replies. The 357 max is my latest addiction to my collection. The other straight walled pistol cartridges ( 357 mag and 44 mag ) get a crimp when loading because they serve double duty in revolvers as well as the contender.

Thanks again Mike

Posts: 67 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HotRodAl:
From my 45 years experience reloading I have found that all straight walled cartridges can benefit from some form of crimping, you get a more consistent powder burn. My 357 Max left unburnt powder without a crimp. I do not crimp any of my bottle neck rounds I shoot in the Contender/Encore.

+1

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1406 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post