Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Nosler Login/Join 

posted
Anyone but me looked at this?
I am curious as to what this may be capable of in an SSP platform. I still have an itch to scratch with a small bolt face XP.
I was all set for a 223AI,the got side tracked to the 20's. Found a new old stock barrel, priced right, then USPS showed up with an empty box with a hole in it,that is another story for another time. So I was back into the 223AI mode, SHAZAM and the 22 Nosler shows up.
I am tempted to order a long blank and taste test it with half of it and leave the other half until we see how it works.
This would be just a toy, topped with some big rifle glass to see what it can do in the P dog fields. I have not given the Nosler a hard look to see what if any gain would be had over a 223.
Any of you studied up on this yet?
Jeff

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I did read a paper on this round. I am interested in what the accuracy will be sounds like they have the speed.

Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2531 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
If the slicks and adverts are to be believed, the .22 Nosler has 25% more capacity than the .223. That is somewhat more than the .223AI. Too, the Nosler was developed to meet a safe pressure standard; the .223AI was not, so Katy bar the door on pressure......if that matters to you.

Practical accuracy depends on the barrel and loads, not the cartridge. Oh, and the shooter"'s skill too.

But how much more than the AI is required? Brass and dies for the Nosler will be higher, but does that really matter? Expect recoil to approach that of a .22-250, so using a high powered rifle scope may need some care in the field. A neat idea whether it makes sense or not.

Posts: 763 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jeff
You need a manly 22 cartridge and I have one with your name on it!
22-50 BMG Big Grin

Posts: 1896 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at it as its virtually a 22-250 in a 18" AR-15. With PA opening up hunting to semi-autos (will know for sure in March), I may just build one for varminting. I think its a neat round and I'm definitely interested...

As a matter of fact, we have all the Redding die sets, short of the Type-S, in stock for it already. The Type-S will probably be order late this month.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jay, you form the brass and I will buy the first barrel.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The AI's maybe some what over rated. The results from what "we"'deemed as safe for years was quite a bit past a safe level in pressure guns. I look at them as a possible bit better performance with excellent brass life.
I won't BS you, I do and have crowded the AI's I have or have had. For the most part anytime one ventures into the wildcats, you are one your own. However with some of the new "nitch" powders, I have seen improvements in performance with standard calibers. Stick with slow powders and your pretty safe, I see a fair bunch of folks using fast powders because they don't have to use as much to get to the same speed, this they think they are "saving" money.
Reloader 26 in the old plain Jane 270 WW comes to mind. I was shocked at speed and accuracy with a 150, it thinks it's a 7mag. And yes this is a book load from their on line data.
Once again slow powders. The 17 Hornet was a royal pita. I read and studied what others observed. I went to H4198. I am off of factory speed, but accuracy is over the top of what I was getting. FYI, it is a case full,flush with the mouth and had to use a 12" drop tube to get that in there! And, I am still shy of several tenths of getting in there what they listed as a max load.

I don't know what the water capcity between the 22-250 and the 22N is. To my understanding it is nothing more than a 6.8SPC with a rebated rim? To get to 22-250 the pressures are up there,OR, they are using powder unavailable to hand loaders.
Ran into this with the 17 Hornet.

I don't imagine it will be long before a 20-22 Nosler is seen.
Yes I could go with the PPC or BR case. But I have this action that has been all prepped up and don't want to open the bolt face. The original intent was a 6.5 TCU and have not ruled that out completely.

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay HHI6818:
Jeff
You need a manly 22 cartridge and I have one with your name on it!
22-50 BMG Big Grin

Read an article about a 22-50 BMG a long time ago. I think the barrel was shot out after like 6 rounds. Slap_Forehead laugh

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1582 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I bought this cartridge at s little Mom and Pop gun store. It's sporting/craft store. Big Grin
I talked to the guy that made up the dummy rounds. He was a tool & die maker and made the 15 dies to neck it down.

Posts: 1896 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It's a cool round. I saw it at the SHOT Show.
I suspect we will see a 24 Nosler and a 25 Nosler off the same case.

JD338

Posts: 119 | Location: MI | Registered: December 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
FWIW

The case capacity of the sample of fired 22 Nosler brass I have,
is 37.4 grs H20, flat meniscus.

HTH,

Tia,
Don

--------------------------------
"Any person that fears me owning a firearm, then I have reason to fear that person"
--------------------------------
NRA Life Member
Sturm/Ruger Armours School-State of Nevada POST-Remington/ S&W Armour Schools-NRA Certified Range Master-State of Nevada POST Range Master-Jaycor Certified Pepperball Instructor-OC Pepper Spray Instructor-Tazer Instructor-NRA Law Enforcement Armours School-Lassen College LE Armours School-NRA Police Firearms Instructor Development School
Nam "Oct 67-Dec 68"
173rd ABN 2/503rd "Recon"
Retired 10/01/2009, 36+yrs

Posts: 1239 | Location: Western NV | Registered: August 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sheehan93
posted Hide Post
I have also been worndering about this round, how would it rate against the 222 mag improved or the 5.6x50R improved. It would sure be a lot easier to load for if it would give either one of them a run for their money. I have a 7 twist barrel that i need to build into something in the contender platform.....

Marc Sheehan

Life NRA Member

Posts: 1098 | Location: Syracuse, NE, USA | Registered: November 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jeff....small boltface xp? Investigate the 6x45 [6/223]. Long bbl life, accurate and easy to build. Have had several and they are a great way to diminish your supply of 6mm benchrest bullets that just didn't quite make the grade. Ask me how I know. laugh

An analog guy in a digital world

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Uh,kinda late response. It turned into a 6TCU rifle,McMillan stock,Jewel trigger.
Found this thread when I was researching the 22 Nosler again only this time for a Howa Mini.