Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ball/spherical Powder for 204 Ruger Login/Join 

posted
Hey guys,
I just finished loading some rounds for my son-in-law's 204 Ruger. The first year he went w/ me I was pushed for time so had what I had available, 32 gr V-Max bullets and H4895. The load is accurate and velocity is ok (3850-3900 w/ acceptable pressures), but the powder just doesn't flow very well through my Harrell so I'd really like to change to a spherical/ball powder. I've also tried H322, LT-32 and Ramshot X-Terminator (same powder as Accurate 2230). Compared to 4895, H322 wasn't quite as accurate while LT-32's accuracy was horrid; Ramshot X-Terminator's velocity was a little lower. I realize there's a bunch of good powders for the 204 and I'm not going to try all of them. I'm beginning to wonder if I should try a ball equivalent for 4895. In that way, Ramshot TAC and Accurate 2520 look promising. In a perfect world, I'd like to have a powder I could use in the 204 as well as my other prairie dog rifles, 223 Rem and 20 Practical. If that doesn't work out, I've got powders that will cover the 223 and the 20 P. What does the collective wisdom of SP have to say? Confused

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The more I use CFE223 the more I like it.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2691 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
I find H335 very accurate with 55 grain pills in my two AR's in 223 and it pours like water from my Lyman 55. Velocity is right there with 4895.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6339 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Don't have a 204 but H335 is what I use in my 223's with good results. Tried BLC2 and Varget and always come back to H335 for the flow and accuracy.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4545 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I won’t argue with Ryan or Rod, H335 gives good results, but.
All the years of using it I never noticed anything that I thought was pressure from the heat. Saw some others making comments on it giving spikes in the varmint fields.
I have two lots of H335. One gifted to me by a friend that got it back in the late 70’s from Bruce. The other is some fresh made in the last year or so.

The old stuff is what I have used for years. Played with it some last year, saw zero issues. The new stuff was shot at the same session, it got a bit spikey but nothing I was concerned with as I was off of top end loads. But none the less it got goofy.

Read some at 204ruger and they will say H335 is good but watch the temps.
The heat may or may not cause issues going from the NW to the S.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2691 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of mrmurl
posted Hide Post
A friend gave me advice on using Win 748 in the 204. I have used it and have real good results. Have not noticed any problems with using it in warmer weather. Shoots very well and meters well too. Of course I would not give a specific load but the range is 26.5 to 29.5 grains. Good luck. It is my prairie dog loading.

Mr. Murl
NRA Life Member

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary."

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 327 | Location: Mid-Missouri "Lake Pomme De Teere" | Registered: November 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thx for the suggestions, guys. After reading some more, IMR XBR 8208 and CFE223 seem to be popular in the 204, as well. JSH suggested CFE223 already. Any other CFE223 or 8208 users?

Posts: 1293 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I run 8208 in my PRS rifle in 6.5 Grendel, works great but its not a ball powder, its extruded. I run it out of a Lyman Gen6 and then trickle up to finish. I like 8208's performance so much i'm now working with it in my 224 Valkyrie PRS rifle.

I've got CFE223 and I've worked with it a little bit. The load I tried wasn't all that accurate or consistent in my Grendel. I've read a lot of comments that its temperature sensitive. While I have not had enuff experience with it to confirm or deny that claim, I sure have read it from a bunch of different people.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18771 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
run 8208 in my PRS rifle in 6.5 Grendel, works great but its not a ball powder, its extruded. I run it out of a Lyman Gen6 and then trickle up to finish.

So 8208 doesn't meter well like spherical powders? My powder charger throws small extruded powders like N130, N133 and H322 well.

posted Hide Post
Well guys, about reflecting on my choices, I decided to go w/ CFE223. 8208, Benchmark,H335 and 748 were all worthy contenders. OTOH, I have friends who own this powders, but no one owns CFE223.

If I'm not satisfied w/ CFE223, I might borrow some 8208 or 335. Thx for the help.

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
I have read good things about CFE223. Haven't gotten around to trying it tho.

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6339 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post