Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/410 accuracy Login/Join 

posted
Has anyone tried using a 460 S&W case with trail boss (and trail boss only!) using cast bullets in a 45/410 contender. It would remove a lot of the Free bore from the 410 chamber and possibly improve accuracy which seems to be a problem with the 45 LC. Don't think I would try it if I owned a 460 and had regular ammo laying around. From the reloading info I've found it seems max trail boss loads in a 460 run around 20,000 PSI and 1000-1200 FPS. w/250 gr. cast. Not much different than a 45-70.

Probably wouldn't be worth it if accuracy didn't improve. Just curious not a recommendation.

Posts: 135 | Location: pacific northwest | Registered: January 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
While it might be a bit closer than 45lc, I think the overall case length on a 460 is 1.8 inches. That’s still quite a bit shorter than the 3” chamber of the 410. I’m afraid the free bore jump would still be significant enough to hurt accuracy.

A better option in the 45/410 barrels for accuracy is the old 450 Mongo, it uses 444 brass expanded to .452. It was made to replicate 45-70 trapdoor type loads but with today’s powders like trail boss a 45 colt equivalent load could be come up with. The longer brass would fix the free bore jump and prevent no dangers of accidental firing of a full house 460 load.

Just my thoughts...

Chris

Posts: 355 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
wouldn't be worth it

This is my sentiment ^^^

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever shot 410 slugs and check accuracy?

------------------------------

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I may have to pull the choke and give it a try. I have some 3" slugs that I was wondering what to do with.

Posts: 3151 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just use mine for 410 and leave the 45 to my 45 barrel.

Posts: 706 | Location: Ga. | Registered: January 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of rickt301
posted Hide Post
I have not yet shot a 45 long colt shell in my 45/410 barrel and use it as my snake/rabbit gun. Patterns best with 2 1/2 inch shells using 7 1/2 shot and works pretty good inside of 25 yards just like a regular 410.

Posts: 55 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've found the same thing the 2' shells pattern better than the 3 in. I have an old single shot bolt action winchester that will almost obliterate a 6" paper saucer at 25 ft. I can't imagine what kind of choke it has.

Thanks for the thoughts and Ideas on the 45/410. It is what it is !!

Posts: 135 | Location: pacific northwest | Registered: January 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post