Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading Information, Data & Equipment    327 Federal Magnum: Your favorite cast bullet loads?

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

327 Federal Magnum: Your favorite cast bullet loads? Login/Join 

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
Ok, what are your favorites? Please be specific about who's cast bullets your using as there's so many different companies now it's kind of mind boggling... nuts

Also, like too know what your shooting them from. Wink

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I’m following....eventually I’ll finish my K frame 327 for bunnies

Posts: 3629 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
I kept messing with my S7 loads. Most were fair at best but not bad. Got a few different kinds of cast without much improvement. Finally got from Acme their Hi Tek coated 100gr RNFP sized to .313 loaded with HS-6 . Bam! lights out. Ordered 1000. Not sure how fast they are but they are very accurate in my gun. I notice that the brass, Fed and Starline grow a lot and have to be trimmed each time to allow those bullets to fit the cylinder (rotate)

Posts: 1951 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
I notice that the brass, Fed and Starline grow a lot and have to be trimmed each time to allow those bullets to fit the cylinder
More then likely from large chambers. I imagine my GP100 will be the same way.

Thanks for your info!

mike

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing about the cylinder. Not sure how all that works. Had another S7 that I sold to get the Bisely and it had 2 chambers that were had to extract except with the lightest loads. I Flitzed them and that helped a lot.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Yup. The Ruger’s chambers will be big. But the throats are generally close.

You can also try only sizing the case down enough to hold the bullet. This generally helps.

Posts: 3629 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
At the end of 2016 I got my 4.2" SP-101 in 327.

This was when the US in a 22 LR ammo shortage.

It was also right after I found that I could no longer buy wheel weights at local tire stores. I was really struggling to get enough lead to keep up with our weekly shooting trips.

I wanted an in production revolver to use as an "alternate choice" to 22 LR.
The goal was to allow me to load large volumes of target ammo for standing practice at the lowest possible cost and with the lowest bullet weight practical.

I hand crafted a two cavity no lube groove mold with a profile similar to what you see used for 380s. It drops at 55 grs, I size to 0.3125" and tumble lube with BLL. I have used titegroup (it meters better) and promo (it seems more consistent) to get close to the same velocity. Charges have been in the 3.0 to 3.6 gr range.

Yes I have used other bullets and loads with more power. This includes a PC coated 98 gr in front of a case full of H110/296. However, probably more than 90% of the ammo fired in my SP-101 has been target loads with that little 55 gr bullet. Thousands of rounds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul Flados,

Paul Flados

Posts: 29 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Looking over Hodgdon data, it appears that "Target" gives the highest velocities with heavy cast but I do not have any. Auto Comp is another that gives decent velocities and I believe I have a pound on hand.

I have some .314" 120RNFP that I'm going to start with and likely Auto Comp. If anyone else has used other powers with success, I'd surely like to hear about them. Wink GP100 is supposed to be back today.

mike

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Mike check with 6 shot (Dick). He shoots a lot of the heavier bullets in the 327. I believe Longshot is the powder he uses and I plan to do the same.

Posts: 3151 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemann:
Mike check with 6 shot (Dick). He shoots a lot of the heavier bullets in the 327. I believe Longshot is the powder he uses and I plan to do the same.
I'm pretty sure I have Longshot, aka "loud shot", in the building too. Hopefully, he'll see my post and offer some advice.

Just got notice that the gun was delivered. Wink

mike

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
I tried LS with the 100 gr Hornady, with so-so results. My most accurate load with the 100gr Hornady was with 4227. I know they are not cast but just trolling.

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I'll check when I get home. I did load up some 120gr cast with Longshot (I think) for my 7.5" S7 and it shot very well.

Posts: 3151 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I lied, H110 with a 120 gr flat point. I do use the Longshot as well.

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemann:
I lied, H110 with a 120 gr flat point. I do use the Longshot as well.
Hodgdon doesn't list either powder with the heaviest bullet they tested, 115 grain. If you can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it! Wink

mike

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Mike I think I got the load data out of a magazine article by Brian Pierce. I'll see if I can find it and post the data. My load is using the #13 rotor in my rcbs little dandy powder measure. It measures out at 12.5 gr of H110 with mine. The Single Action.com web site also has a lot of data but not from any printed source so you need to work up to it carefully.

I used the starting data for the 115 Speer and worked up to the 12.5grs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitemann,

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
327 fed data

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Little more.

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thank you!!

mike