Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

first time loading/shooting cast Login/Join 

Picture of moe
posted
Just loaded some cast bullets (GT)for my 327 FM. Have a ring around the top of the lead. Need a different seater plug?? Also, I have been shooting XTP's out of it. Do I just shoot the lead, or clean first, or clean going from one to the other. Been loading for decades but never cast before so I need pointers!

Posts: 1951 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ring around the lead
I don't follow ya.
Ring of lead around the case mouth. You either need to bell the mouth a bit more, or don't crimp and seat at the same time. Crimp and seat seperate.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
I do crimp and seat separate. The ring is near the tip of the bullet. I notice a slight ring on the XTP's also but it does not deform the bullet.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Probably need a different seater plug for your bullet

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 327 suffers from the "mixed history" of 32 cal handguns.

The nominal diameter for 32 cal jacketed bullets is 0.312"

Some 32 cal guns have been made with 0.308" barrels. Many 32 cal guns require cast bullets be as large as 0.315" or even more to avoid leading.

My 327 Ruger SP-101 requires cast bullets to be 0.314" to 0.3145" to work right. Any smaller results in leading, any bigger will not chamber shoothly.

Seating dies suffer from the range of possible bullet diameters. Die makers want the dies to work for "small bullet" users as well as "big bullet" users.

Bullet shaving during seating can occur if the bell is removed and case mouth OD is reduced before the bullet is fully inserted to at least the base of the crimp groove.

Take a belled case with no bullet and run it into your seating die with the die say 1/4" higher than what you have been using, Take the case out and see if there is still enough bell to prevent shaving. If so, adjust the die in until the bell is just barely no longer good enough. Adjust the die in a little more (about 2/3 of the width of your crimp groove) and run it in again. If the case does not have enough roll crimp for your liking, seating and crimping in two steps is called for. The "seating only" step then requires the die to be backed out enough to not remove all of the case bell until the crimp groove reaches the case mouth.

32 Cal sizing dies and expander plugs are generally even worse when it come to using bigger cast bullets. My Lee sizer reduces my starline cases enough to securely hold 0.308" jacketed bullets. This may be nice for some users, but it is not for me. It just over works the cases and ruins cast bullets during seating (sizes them down too much) if I use the Lee factory expander plug. I am still using my Lee sizer (for now), but I use a "home crafted" custom expander plug. It is similar to a Lyman "M" expander, but with my choice for diameters.

If your cast bullets are being sized down too much during seating, making a custom expander is great if you have adequate skills & tools. If not, I strongly recommend investing in a NOE expander plug setup. You may need some help picking the right diameter and/or you can just order several diameters (individual plugs are only $6.50 each).

Paul Flados

Posts: 29 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
Good info! Thanks They are not shaving lead during seating. This is a round donut on the tapered tip of the bullet from the seater plug. I was wondering if I need a different shape plug that will not deform the bullet. I just tried a .30 cal bullet in a sized case and it slips right in with very little resistance so my Hornady dies are sizing correctly. The cast are .312. Checked about a dozen and they were all .312

posted Hide Post
Yes, you need a seated plug shaped to match the nose profile of your bullet.

HHI #1173

Posts: 22 | Location: Ny | Registered: September 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
[I have been shooting XTP's out of it. Do I just shoot the lead, or clean first]

From my experience shooting lead you should clean the bore of any copper fouling before shooting lead.

Albert
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
On your seater plug, take it out and smooth the bottom inside edge (the mouth) of it a little with some sand paper, dremel or whatever you have and see if that helps. Mine had a sharp edge on it and after I put a radius on it the ring wasn't as bad. The depth and angle is wrong for most bullets. If you have access to a lathe you could open it up a bit or shorten the bottom edge to make the bullet hit the bottom and match your bullets.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
Loaded some 38's with no issue. Must need a different seater for sure

posted Hide Post
Moe, not to hijack your thread, but I am curious as to how detrimental to performance it is to having a ring from the seater, or is it a cosmetic issue?

I've been loading for about 12yrs and load very little lead bullets and have not had this issue yet. I'm not a long range shooter, so I wouldn't worry about accuracy, so I would probably run them at the range myself depending on how bad the ring was. Do you have a picture you could share?

Gary

Posts: 544 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That ring will not bother a thing. I have shot thousands of rounds with that ring on them. I did finally get the seater I needed though. You can also use a chamfer tool to change the angle on the seater.

Cast pistol bullets usually have the aerodynamics of a greased brick!!

That being said, I believe cast to be a better choice for revolver loads than jacketed. There are some good jacketed revolver bullets out there, but I have always had better luck with cast. On the range and on game.

Toby
-----------------------
Life begins at 45 caliber!

Posts: 1080 | Location: NWPA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post