Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 remington loads Login/Join 

Picture of KYODE
posted
What kind of good loads do you have for your 35rem guns?

In My rimmed version in my contender, i shoot 39.5gr H322 and the 180gr hornady ssp....you may have heard before. Big Grin Red Face

We have a new 35rem xp100 here O , and thinkin i want to try some 158gr .357” in it. Anybody shoot those?

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I tried some XTP in the Marlin 336 but was not convinced. A number of hardcore Max hunters up here like this fellows bullets, though I have not tried them.

https://www.furycustombullets....p/p/216/.358-caliber

Posts: 625 | Location: Saint Clair County, MI | Registered: December 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've had my best accuracy with the heavier round nose, 200 gr bullets. Both the Remington corloks and the Hornady's. The Remington's are slightly softer, but also group slightly tighter. Remington's got impossible to find a few years ago, so I switched to the Hornady's.

41.0 grs of Win 748 and a Rem 9 1/2 primer used on both bullets.

My barrel, 12" factory TC, doesn't like the lighter bullets, so I've not tried the 158's.

Posts: 754 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I never had any luck with 158’s myself. I consider most of them varmint bullets at that weight and under.
Hand loader or Rifle had an article a few years back on bolt gun loads for the 35 Remington. Barsness or Pierce wrote it up.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KYODE:
In My rimmed version in my contender, i shoot 39.5gr H322 and the 180gr hornady ssp....you may have heard before. Big Grin Red Face

I know TC loads historically pushed the envelope on the 35 Remington published loads. Looking now at Hodgdon data that figure is 4.5gr over max. Has Hodgdon backed off or was that always the case?

Posts: 724 | Location: Central NH | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Data varies widely between sources anyway. But lever action data specifically is always very conservative for pressure restrictions of the gun. Sierra has had single shot data well above for a long time.

Im having a hard time deciding what powders i even want to try with 158s. Jsh have you tried very many, and what were they?

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
As the OP knows, he can safely exceed published data in his new XP. How much? That depends on his handloading skills.

I’ve shot 158s in my .35 Remingtons, usually with a published load of 15.5 grains of BlueDot (Alliant data). Mild, it was quite accurate in my Contender carbine. Speer currently lists a max load of 37.0 grains Reloder 7, but it pushes their 158s too fast IMO. The Hornady 158 FP is designed for higher rifle velocities if one wanted to push that weight above ~1700 fps. For a lightweight bullet I use the discontinued Remington 150s at ~2450 fps; contrary to “common knowledge” this bullet works very well on deer-sized game and actually penetrates as deep - or deeper - than the sainted 200-grain CoreLokt does.

Posts: 761 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I like the RCBS 180 gr silhouette slug over 4227 in my XP in 35 Rem. Nice load, medium recoil, accurate.
Chris

Posts: 80 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: January 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post