Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading Information, Data & Equipment    HELP! Looking for load info 25 Bullberry!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Looking for load info 25 Bullberry! Login/Join 

posted
I'm wanting to find out what 30/30 brass you guys would recommend for case forming my 25 Bullberry out of! I would appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks, AlanFound brass

Now I'm wanting to know if anyone has a good load that you like for deer? Please let me know if you have any input on this!
Thanks again, Alan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Camoguy69,

Posts: 83 | Location: Anderson SC | Registered: October 18, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Stronger recommendations on what not to use then what to use.
Not PPU (it sticks in every caliber I have tried and at any loading) and not Hornady (I got a lot of head separation after 3 reloads when my lot of mixed brass is still going strong after ~5-10x).

I have some fresh Winchester which seems to be good, but have only ran some of it to 2x (used only for hunting loads). I got a bunch of Federal primed pull down brass which seems to be holding up well at 2-3x after culling out the damaged cases.

Posts: 108 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks kv! I don't reload 3030 but I'm getting into
forming other calibers out of it and trying to figure out the best brass to use.

Thanks, Alan

Posts: 83 | Location: Anderson SC | Registered: October 18, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Bullberry

You might call Bullberry to see if they have recommendations or have collected feedback from other shooters.

Posts: 108 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
I've used most brands of 30-30 brass to forming different calibers. depending on your chamber some might work better than others. I had a factory T/C 30 Herrett that only Rem brand worked others wouldn't chamber, necks where too thick, my MGM 30 Herrett will work with all brands I've tried but settled on WW brand to keep them uniform. also Todd Kinder recommended WW brand for his 20 Classic and that's what I use. Just use whatever you can get but try to stick with one brand to make them uniform.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'd use Starline 30-30 brass

Posts: 916 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Start with new, unfired brass. Federal has been strong for me as far 30/30 AI goes, getting 6-7 loadings with no failures yet.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1508 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Win1917:
I'd use Starline 30-30 brass

I didn’t realize they made 30/30 until you mentioned it.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1508 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys! I want to use only one brand and definitely new brass for forming! With my limited knowledge and experience, I have a great teacher and I'm constantly reading and listening to you guys to learn as much as I can!

I was looking online at brass today and happened to see Nosler makes 30-30 brass! Has anyone ever tried it or have any input on it? Is it worth the couple extra dollars or would Rem, Win, or Srarline be better or just as good? Also I have bought several bags of Win. brass in the red new bags in different calibers and every bag has had 3 to 5 bad cases crumpled necks! Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem with Win. brass? I know I see a lot of people asking about the old blue bag Win. a old new stock Remmy! Is this something I should look for?

Thanks, Alan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Camoguy69,

posted Hide Post
I used new WW BLUE bag 30-30 Win cases to form my 30-30AI and they have been great. Have around 10 or so firings and they have never needed trimming and still look good as new.
I have 225 Winchester cases made by Winchester that I made my 6mm-225 cases out of and they exhibit the same thing.

The first Contender pistol I ever had was a 10" 30-30 Win and I got better accuracy and case life out of WW cases than Rem.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Camoguy69:
I was looking online at brass today and happened to see Nosler makes 30-30 brass! Has anyone ever tried it or have any input on it? Is it worth the couple extra dollars or would Rem, Win, or Srarline be better or just as good?

I didn't know Nosler sold 30-30 brass. As far as I know, Nosler brass is typically made by Norma and from the cartridges I've used it in it's been very good quality. There's a good Benchrest shooter, IIRC his name is Turner, Mike Turner maybe, anyway he's known for shooting a 30-30 in Benchrest matches. Probably Hunter Benchrest I'd guess but that's neither here nor there, he's hot on Starline brass. After reading some of his reviews about Starline, I'd decided that when it comes time to cycle in new cases for my 30-30 based stuff, it would be on Starline cases.

Norma/Starline, I don't think you could go wrong with either. Federal was my go to before and with a Bullberry barrel, it's the most accurate Contender pistol I've had so it worked well too. Lots of good choices.

Posts: 916 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I use Nosler brass in my 25 Bullberry. I bought a bunch on sale a few months back. To me the Nosler brass was well worth what I paid for it. When fire forming brass or creating a wildcat caliber, utilizing quality brass is the only way to go. The definition of quality brass varies from individual to individual. New brass should be utilized no matter what brand! T24

Posts: 48 | Location: Harrisonburg | Registered: January 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Alan,
Congrats on your new project. Keep us updated.
quote:
I want to use only one brand and definitely new brass for forming!

Disclaimer: I load for a lot of different guns, but chambered in the same caliber. I agree on using new brass for case forming. OTOH, I like to use different brass for different guns in order to help differentiate which brass is used for each gun. The headstamp will definitively tell me which gun the brass is for, especially when there's not much different in the caliber. For example, I have 3 XP's in different chambering, all of which use the 6 Rem BR as the parent case. The "Rem" headstamp brass is for the 22 BR. I also have a 6 BR and 25 BR. At the time I bought the 25 BR I couldn't find 6 BR brass made by Norma, so I use Lapua in both. But I use different colored primers to differentiate the loads: Rem 7 1/2 primers (gold colored) in the 6 BR and CCI Match (silver) in the 25 BR. Likewise, I differentiate between my son's 223 Rem loads and my 20 Practical loads (uses 223 Rem brass) by headstamp: his gun uses Guatemalan brass (only brass I could find at the time) and the Practical uses Lapua.

quote:
I was looking online at brass today and happened to see Nosler makes 30-30 brass! Has anyone ever tried it or have any input on it?
I've used Nosler brass only in a 260 Rem XP. It was the only brand available at the time. I check for neck concentricity. The Nosler was more concentric than Win and Rem usually are, but not as good as Lapua. I've not shot it enough to comment on case longevity.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1379 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary T! I appreciate your response.

posted Hide Post
I have been using Federal for a 6.5-30-30 A.I. and have been very happy with case life.

Posts: 192 | Location: shawnee, ks usa | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok guys, all of your help really helped me out with the brass, but now I'm switching gears and need some guidance with a good deer bullet and starting load for my 25 Bullberry!

Thanks in advance!
Alan

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Alan, in my .250 Sav. AI, the best bullets have been 100 gr. BT, 100 Sierra SP. I'd avoid 110 gr. ELDXs (too soft for angled shots), 110 gr. ABs ( a little hard with poor expansion) unless bones are hit, and Xs (opening in nose is too tiny to get much expansion, less tissue damage, acts like FMJ).
The BT and Sierra are very soft and expand extremely well on deer.
Normally I like Xs, but they have not done good on deer below 7mm cal.
I'm a fanatic AB guy, but they have not performed very well in 6mm, ,.25 in all my handguns.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
WV Hitman, is the AB's you are referring to Accubonds? If so are you including Partitions in that?

posted Hide Post
Alan, AB is Accubonds. Not Partitions (NPT). I went back through my notes on deer kills and I did use NPTs on 5 or so deer. Damage was around 1 1/2" internally with a 3/4" exit. I would also recommend them for deer. The 100 gr. PTs did a little better than the 120 PTs due to better velocity.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
Fred built my .25 Bullberry over thirty years ago. I used nothing but new Federal cases, but the reason is because they have lasted many dozens of firings. I hunted with the barrel and shot thousands of rounds in silhouette competition. For Kodiak Island blacktails I used Nosler 100-grain BTips. Only recovered one bullet out of about a dozen deer shot, terminal performance was excellent.

I have only shot it occasionally in the past ten years, but its accuracy has always been exceptional.

Posts: 761 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Hitman and Lone Star for the info! What would be the best powders to use to start my load development for my 15" barreled 25?

posted Hide Post
I've used only WW 760 in my .250 AI. It has worked fantastic for the last 17 years. +How much in your case? Don't have a clue. Better get an idea from our members or Bullberry.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
Alan, in my .250 Sav. AI, the best bullets have been 100 gr. BT, 100 Sierra SP. I'd avoid 110 gr. ELDXs (too soft for angled shots), 110 gr. ABs ( a little hard with poor expansion) unless bones are hit, and Xs (opening in nose is too tiny to get much expansion, less tissue damage, acts like FMJ).
The BT and Sierra are very soft and expand extremely well on deer.
Normally I like Xs, but they have not done good on deer below 7mm cal.
I'm a fanatic AB guy, but they have not performed very well in 6mm, ,.25 in all my handguns.

Hitman have you tried the 115 grain BT in your .250AI. If so how did they work out. I have some to try in my .25 creed but haven't loaded any yet.

Posts: 950 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bruce, never tried 115 BTs in my AI. I'm not totally pleased with the performance of 100 BTs beyond 300 yds., so I'm thinking less velocity from the heavier bullet is not going to be a good thing. 85BTs do fantastic on groundhogs. 100 BTs are fair on deer beyond 250. 110 ABs are my penetrator loads. 100 NPTs are my all around, do everything bullet.
The only other bullet I've experimented with is the 110 ELDX. Shoots really great in my gun, but penetration is a big problem. Really soft bullet. Once it looses 60-80% of it's weight, there's not much left to do my damage, especially on angled shots.
My best deer shot ever with my .250AI was last year. 419 yds. Instant drop. Hit high shoulder/spine with the AB. That's the only bullet I'd try that far in this little round. Much better choices for long range shots.

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
The smaller capacity .25 BB is not going to quite match a .250AI in velocity, making the 100BTips more appropriate at closer ranges. I had good luck with WW748 and haven’t changed, but there may be better powders available today. Fred had some load data years ago, Bullberry may still have some they can provide.

Posts: 761 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you Lone Star, and I realize the 250AI is a totally different cartridge than the 25BB. I'm glad you stated that the the 100gr BTips were a good choice. That actually is the first ones I grabbed up to try out. I think I'll do some comparing between those and Partitions!

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
My 25 Bullberry is a Fred Smith rechamber of a 25/35 Merrill Sportsman, so it is a fairly strong pistol, as break open pistols go. I have taken Antelope with 85 and 100 gr. Ballistic Tips, and 100 gr. Speer Hot Cor bullets. Comparative Water capacities are: 25/35 Win. 35.68 gr; 25 Bullberry 43.0 gr.; 250 Ackley 45.72 gr.; and 250 Savage 46.0. Any of these are a tremendous performance step above the old 23/35. While the 25 Bullberry is not the most powerful of the lot, it will deliver reliable expansion with most old school .25 caliber bullets at modest cost. It performs best with powders with burning rates similar to 4064, 4895, etc.. I have had good success with RL-15 and H-322. There is an increase in the "got to have the most powerful" trend, which ignores many useful and effective cartridges from bygone days.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3316 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 25 BB barrel that I am currently working up a load for is a 21 inch barrel that was made years ago as well. Bought the barrel second hand and I believe that I received a response from the original owner as well as some brass and the dies. (Still have the original Winchester brass) The neck was Very tight and I did not want to neck turn the brass. Called BB and spoke with one of the gunsmiths, don't remember the guys name. He stated to send it back with a case or 3 fired from the barrel. Long story short version BB opened up the neck .003 as I had requested. I am using Nosler brass for fire forming new cases. I could not be more happier with the current setup on the Contender rifle. BB is a top notch company which most of us who are addicted to Contenders are aware of.
Reloading information that I have compiled so far for my rifle setup. Started with Varget and the 85gr ballistic tip. Performed great on game with awesome accuracy and decent speed. Currently in the process of finding a load with Leverevolution and the Barnes 80gr tipped triple shock. So far the results have been above my expectations. The ladder test that I shot at the range (Ohler chronograph)show that I can increase the powder. I may just do so to see where the stopping point is. I am a tad over 2900fps with this combo. I do not provide specific powder weights due to unknown variables. The 2900fps with some change to me is above what I was looking for. Moving forward I will be fine tuning the seating depth for the 80gr. Barnes TTTX. I had two or three of the loads primed with Fed. 215M magnum primers. I will be using magnum primers moving forward with this combination. Will be March before I make it back to the range. I did not use magnum primers when loading Varget! T24

Posts: 48 | Location: Harrisonburg | Registered: January 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post