Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody loading 380 ACP? (update) Login/Join 

Picture of big10
posted
I loaded up some 380 ACP for my daughter's LCP so she could practice cheap. Used 2.9 grains of Titegroup and a 100 grain Xtreme plated slug. The gun had several failures of the same kind, the slide wouldn't extract the case completely and then would strip the next round and jam it into the underside of the fired case. The gun eats factory fodder up. Do I need to step on them a bit, max is 3.0 grains, or try a different powder? A fellow at the range said he had nothing but problems with TG and the 380, went to HP-38 and happy camper.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: big10,

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have been using Titegroup in my Glock 42 with no problems. My plinking loads are even with cast bullets 2.5 grains of Titegroup with Lee 95 grain RF or the 102 grain RN both shoot great in my gun. Probably 500 rounds thru it so far.

Posts: 158 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big10:
I loaded up some 380 ACP for my daughter's LCP so she could practice cheap. Used 2.9 grains of Titegroup and a 100 grain Xtreme plated slug. A fellow at the range said he had nothing but problems with TG and the 380, went to HP-38 and happy camper.

The biggest problem that I had loading .380 ACP was finding the correct length for a particular pistol. I was using the Xtreme 100gr. RNFP in new XTreme primed brass with 3.0 of Tite Group. SAAMI OAL max length is .984. However certain pistols will not accommodate that length. I started with .980 and tried different pistols. This length functioned perfectly through a Sig P238 with all bullets tried in the factory magazine, with the exception of a Federal HP. The Sig failed to feed these loads reliably in aftermarket magazines. The Beretta digested everything that I threw at it.

Shortening the OAL to .975 produced the same results. I again shortened the length to .965 and loaded a batch with 4.7 gr. of Accurate #5 for no other reason other than that was what was in the powder measure. Shortened loads functioned fine through the Beretta; and in the Sig P238 both original and aftermarket mag., and surprisingly through an AMT backup. I think the difference was the length of the loaded round, and not the powder. Measure the length of your factory loads and compare them to the length of your reloads.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3316 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
The gun had several failures of the same kind, the slide wouldn't extract the case completely and then would strip the next round and jam it into the underside of the fired case.
Too me, that's a failure to completely cycle the slide meaning weak load. I doubt .1 grain of powder will do anything to improve the situation. If you can shorten oal, that could bump pressure enuf but likely still won't give reliable function. If it were me, I'd definitely look for a different powder that generates more pressure.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
quote:
The gun had several failures of the same kind, the slide wouldn't extract the case completely and then would strip the next round and jam it into the underside of the fired case.
Too me, that's a failure to completely cycle the slide meaning weak load. I doubt .1 grain of powder will do anything to improve the situation. If you can shorten oal, that could bump pressure enuf but likely still won't give reliable function. If it were me, I'd definitely look for a different powder that generates more pressure.

Well, the slide cycles enough to strip the next round off the magazine but it leaves the case sticking about 1/4" out of the chamber like the extractor lets go. I seated a few a little deeper to see if that makes a difference. Recoil with factory loads seems a bit stiffer than the handloads. I will try some different powder, but only have Ramshot True Blue on hand other than TG. I have some 700x but that burns even faster than TG. Was recommended HP-38 so will have to get some.

thumbup Rod

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
If you have access to Load Data, there is a whole page of data specifically for the LCP. I sent a copy to your email address.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sawfish,

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3316 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
I appreciate it. Interesting that with all those loads not a single one using Titegroup. I take that as confirmation to find something else.

thumbup Rod

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
You can find other listings of loads with almost nothing but Titegroup. Depends on the writer and who is furnishing the powder(s) I guess! I have no problem with Tite Group but prefer AA #2, #5, #7 because they work well in quite a few of the other calibers that I load. Hopefully, you will find something to your liking.

Rudyard Kipling

posted Hide Post
4.2 grs Unique, WW case, CCI 500, 90 gr Hornady XTP and use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Runs like a sewing machine and is accurate and powerful. I practice with what I carry.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sawfish:
You can find other listings of loads with almost nothing but Titegroup. Depends on the writer and who is furnishing the powder(s) I guess! I have no problem with Tite Group but prefer AA #2, #5, #7 because they work well in quite a few of the other calibers that I load. Hopefully, you will find something to your liking.

I've used Titegroup in many other chamberings without issue. I've never seen anything quite like this. It is hard to believe that .1 grain more would make it run better, but I'm gonna find out. There are other guys who have used less and their guns run. I have some True Blue that I will try and will get some HP-38. Something slower might be the ticket.

thumbup Rod

posted Hide Post
I have a glock 42. I settled on Aliant power pistol. It seams to be more consistent than Tite Group. Although it takes a higher charge of powder to obtain the same velocity than tite Group. It also burns cleaner. I shoot the berry"s 100 Gr plated bullets

Posts: 717 | Location: Pa | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Steve E
posted Hide Post
Can't remember the load off hand but Win 231 works great for me in the 380 with 90 gr bullets.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 640 | Location: SEMO | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried maxing the load out and was no improvement so went the other way and backed of to near minimum and low and behold I had only one malfuncion through 4 mags of ammo. I am going to back down even more and see if it helps. Perhaps the slower slide velocity allows the extractor to hold the case through the cycle?

I took a pic to illustrate the malfunction, beit a bit dark:

thumbup Rod