Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.309 JDJ 14" Contender loads wanted Login/Join 

posted
Hi folks,
Wondering if anyone has SSK reloading info for .309 JDJ 14" Contender that you could please send me, I just bought a used barrel and want to start shooting it. I would like paper punching and deer loads if you have it. I would truly appreciate it!
Thanks!

Posts: 386 | Location: terryville, ct | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have 309 JDJ and will send you JD’s load data. New Hornady reloading manuals has a wider list of Powders. Wish I would have keep records on how many deer I have Shot with my 309 JDJ. I’m guessing 30+ and my go to bullet has been the Nosler 164 gr BT.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jay HHI6818,

Posts: 1896 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Jay!

Posts: 386 | Location: terryville, ct | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
309 JDJ Data

Posts: 3151 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
more

Posts: 3151 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
If you want heavier bullet data let me know.

posted Hide Post
Thank you both Jay and Nitemann! You guys gave me what I needed!
Do you know what primers?

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
The Hornady data used Federal 210's.

posted Hide Post
Cool I have a bunch of them!
Thanks a lot!

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I've had a .309 JDJ since it's introduction. Mine wears an old Burris 3-9X scope. It was my #1 deer gun for many years until I got the XP infection. I've taken 318 groundhogs and a little over 80 deer with it. JD developed this round using AA 2520 powder. That's all I ever used. I use 46.0 gr. under 150 gr. BTs, Horn. SPs and 45.0 gr. under 165 gr. bullets.
Both of these BTs do so good that's all I use now. I tried ABs (OK, but the bonding increases pressures a little) and 165 TS (but back off 3 gr.-JD does not recommend these in Contenders). Neither bullet gave any increase in performance than the BTs.
My .309 is much lighter than the XPs, so I use it as a woods walking gun, but I have taken several deer out to 350-375 with the non BPlex scope. Shooting groundhogs that far taught me where to hold.
I've never used anything other than CCI LR primers. Never a problem.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
I've had a .309 JDJ since it's introduction. Mine wears an old Burris 3-9X scope. It was my #1 deer gun for many years until I got the XP infection. I've taken 318 groundhogs and a little over 80 deer with it. JD developed this round using AA 2520 powder. That's all I ever used. I use 46.0 gr. under 150 gr. BTs, Horn. SPs and 45.0 gr. under 165 gr. bullets.
Both of these BTs do so good that's all I use now. I tried ABs (OK, but the bonding increases pressures a little) and 165 TS (but back off 3 gr.-JD does not recommend these in Contenders). Neither bullet gave any increase in performance than the BTs.
My .309 is much lighter than the XPs, so I use it as a woods walking gun, but I have taken several deer out to 350-375 with the non BPlex scope. Shooting groundhogs that far taught me where to hold.
I've never used anything other than CCI LR primers. Never a problem.

I've wanted one of these in a carbine barrel for some time now. You're not helping with the temptation...

Big Grin

Wonder what that 165 BT would do out of a 24" barrel with that load?

Posts: 754 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Link to Hornady’s 309 JDJ Data:
https://press.hornady.com/asse...ete-data/309-jdj.pdf

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1542 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the help. Rog just downloaded your link

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your 309JDJ. This caliber was the first Contender barrel I bought after shooting the 223 Contender for a couple of years.
I found an old 30-30 rifle barrel. One of the first few years they made it from what the guy told me where I got it. I was told it might have different lands and grooves in it compared to the newer barrels. I had it cut off, crowned and the muzzle re-blued.
It is 15" tapered. I put a TC 2x7 pistol scope on it and ordered the dies.
I took a load I got from JD Jones and started with it and never changed.
I load IMR 4350, 51 grns. , Fed 210 primers, OAL 3.135, Nosler 150grn Ballistic Tips. I have chrono'd this load several times and it runs between 2345 and 2350 fps from this barrel. It is about 1 grain under max according to Hornady manual.
I don't even worry about fire forming. I hunt with the loaded rounds and they shoot just as good as fire formed rounds. I have taken several whitetail deer, a couple of hogs and one cow elk with it. With it zero'd at 200 yards, it is 2" high at 100 yards and 11" low at 300 yards. I took one whitetail in NW Oklahoma at 305 yards holding on her back and dropped her. The ballistic tip is bad news on deer.
Hope you have good luck with yours. If it is a JDJ barrel it will probably shoot lights out. The 309JDJ made me decide to get the 6.5JDJ, then the 375JDJ, then the 338 JDJ #2 and just got the 257 JDJ from a friend that can't shoot pistols but thought he wanted the Contender.
Good luck
Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 2931 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, I also have the .375 JDJ I have a bit of a problem buying Contenders, barrels and such. I don't really get out hunting much so most of my shooting is on paper. Although my 12 year old grandson is going thru the NRA safe hunter class the end of the month and he wants to go squirrel hunting with me. I have a nice .22 LR 21" match Contender with a 3X9 TC scope on it for him to use.
Thanks for your input!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrk1500,

posted Hide Post
WV Hitman,
I am going to pick up some AA2520 as I remember you also recommended it for the .375 JDJ. Thanks and I value your input

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
You won't regret it mrk. JD developed about all of his Contender JDJs around AA2520. Accuracy is great in my 6.5, .309, .337, & .375 JDs with it. It's super fine and extremely easy to use in powder measures. No bridging.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
WV Hitman thank you for your info and your Kroc and Hippo photos are the best! You must have nerves of steel to pull off those shots! All your other posts and photos are truly appreciated! I don't want this site to go away