Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 Remington Powder Suggestion-Update. Login/Join 

posted
Hey guys,
I’ve always referred to my XP in 260 Rem as my “red headed stepchild”. There’s been a dark cloud hovering over it ever since I bought it. Nevertheless, I have managed to kill 5 deer w/ it, including four in the last two years. Originally, I had a nice load w/ the Speer 120 gr SP, then Speer discontinued the bullet. During initial load development I was disappointed in the velocity w/ Reloder 15. I turned to H414 and was initially pleased, but later the pressures seemed a little high. Last year I used RL 17 and voila! Velocity and accuracy both improved. I developed nice loads for the 120 gr Speer Gold Dot, 123 gr Hornady SST (thanks Bobby T. for both of these bullets) and the 125 gr Nosler Partition. I like to try different bullets during deer season, so last fall I bought #50 Barnes 120 gr TTSX to use this year. But a “small” problem popped up…..somehow I let myself run out of RL 17 so I don’t have enough left to work up a load. Although I’ve been on the lookout for nearly a year, I’ve not been able to find RL 17. In addition, my local powder dealer said last week he’s had RL 17 on backorder for 12 months. Given this, I decided to try some Varget w/ the TTSX. The curse of the “red headed stepchild” continued as pressures of mid-range loads were excessive. So now I seek your wisdom and sage advice. Do you think I should put the TTSX on the back burner until I have RL 17 or should I pursue a new load w/ a different powder? The other powders I have available and have considered include H380 (but published load data varies more than I’d like), RL 22 (I’d have to extrapolate data from other cartridges since there’s little data for the 260), H4895 and CFE 223. Given the current unavailability of powders, please don’t suggest I buy an entirely different powder. Remember, I only have #47 bullets left to work w/. Does anyone have personal experiences w/ any of these powders in the 260 Remington? Thanks for your suggestions.

An "uncursed" hunt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've only used H4350 and Varget in mine so far and not with the Barnes bullet only Hornady and NBT. The H4350 loads were a lot slower that I expected. The Varget had decent velocity and accuracy with the Hornady 123 AMAX. In looking at Quickloads I'm not sure if you can get enough RL22 in the case to get the velocity you want. It shows about 111% capacity to hit max pressure, but who knows about the accuracy. H4895 and CFE223 show similar top velocities but my results don't always match exactly. Example is my H4350 loads are about what QL shows but my Varget loads are about 100fps faster than QL.
I will email you some charts to check out but since I have no real life experience with those powders that's the best I can offer.

Beautiful XP and buck BTW.

Good luck
Bruce

Posts: 1077 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Gary, I don't have a .260, but I do have 2 6.5/.284s which are a step above your .260 in power/velocity.
I started with WW 760 and had decent results, but Gasixgunner found that Hybrid V-100 gave us 150+ fps more than WW 760 with no signs of pressure in our guns. I've used only Hybrid the last 5 years and am totally pleased with it. Might want to give it a try.
Best .260 bullets I've found are 120 Sierra Game Kings- very soft & destructive, 125 Nos. PTs, 120 Nos. Solid bases (if you can find any), 120 BTs, and 130 Nos. ABs (a little tougher than the others, but great on angled shots. All these work in my 1:10" XP.
My 1:8" Encore only likes 140 Bts, 130 ABs, & 143 Eld-Xs (but they're way too soft for angled shots.
Good luck on your "adventures", especially finding bullets. In my area about everything except .260 bullets are easy to get.

Posts: 1810 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
no advice or experience to draw on other then the shared frustration finding components and such. At this point, you have to go with the flow and use/shoot what you have and keep a wish list.

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, after looking for RL 17 for a long time, I missed out on it last week. Sad I've signed up w/ a number of online powder dealers to be notified when some powders are back in stock. Last week I received an email notification from Midsouth Shooters at 10:30 AM that RL 17 was in stock. My phone typically has a weak cell phone signal so I use my employer's wifi for internet access and wifi calling. Unfortunately, the wifi blocks access to certain "gun" sites, like Midsouth. "No big deal," I thought. I'll buy it as soon as I get a chance to step outside to use my cell phone data plan. I didn't get a chance until 3:30 PM. Imagine my surprise and horror when I saw RL 17 was already out of stock......again. Mad I'll keep looking for RL 17, but in the meantime I've also started looking for Hodgdon Hybrid 100v based on the good reports shared here. I did find some 100v for sale at the Hodgdon website buy I wasn't willing to pay $47 on shipping Eek , in addition to $33 for 1# of powder. I'll also load a few rounds w/ CFE 223 and see if it looks promising. If none of that works out, the Barnes TTX 120 gr bullet will have to wait until next season. Thx for the help, guys.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, I looked out and just found some Hodgdon Hybrid 100v on Powder Valley. happy Went ahead and threw in 1# each of Shooter's World 50BMG and Accurate #5 (thank you gifts for a friend) and Shooter's World Blackout (thought I'd try it in my 221 Fireball and 20 VarTarg). Now I just need to hurry up and wait. nuts

posted Hide Post
I have some Hybrid 100V also but haven’t tried it in the 260 yet.

Bruce

Posts: 1077 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My best powder for the 260 Remington is 4350 with 120 grain Sierra SP and Nosler BT.

------------------------------
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 587 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What barrel profile/length is that ? Looks great.

Posts: 447 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
My .260 would not group 100-120 grain bullets until I tried powders in the H414 and IMR4350 range. Velocity was high too.

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 945 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
2 of my best loads in my 308 and my 243 are with W760/H414.

Since you are working with the same case, I'd be very surprised if you can't make that powder work for you. Pressure was high? Maybe play with seating depth more? What primers are you using? I think I'm using Fed LR match primers in both (would have to check on the 308, but I'm certain that's the one in my 243 loads).

Posts: 866 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Pressure was high? Maybe play with seating depth more? What primers are you using?

That's a good suggestion, but since I have so few bullets and haven't seen anymore of them in stock for 9 mos, I'm going to instead try a different powder. As far as the primer, I was using Remington 9 /2's. I've been using nearly exclusively Remington primers since the mid-90's when there was a big primer shortage and the only primers I could find were Remington. I'm having to try different primers now in a number of different calibers since I've run out of Remington. I'm going to try Winchester LR (I've got nearly 4000 of them) Big Grin w/ the new powder.

posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
Thought I'd give an update on load development using Hodgdon Hybrid 100v in the 260 Remington. None of the loads have been choreographed, but they have a similar point of impact to comparable loads using Reloder 17. You may recall my main interest was finding a load using the Barnes 120 gr TTSX bullet. Once that was accomplished, I also worked up loads w/ the Hornady 123 gr SST. These are the loads I ended up with.

43.5 gr of Hybrid 100v/Barnes TTSX 120 gr /Starline brass/WLR primer/COAL 2.770"
43.0 grHybrid 100v/Hornady SST 123 gr/Nosler brass/Remington 9 1/2 primer/COAL 2.815"

Obviously, this was not a day to shoot "benchrest groups", but the TTSX loads are serviceable. The SST load usually shoots 3/4" groups.

Once I had a load for the TTSX, I developed a load w/ 100v and the few Hornady SST bullets I had left. This pic shows 6 shots using 2 different powders, 2 different brands of brass and 2 different bullets. I used a rest like I use in the deer stand, a small sand bag in front and back. The 2 groups on the left both use Hornady 123 gr SST bullets, but w/ either Nosler brass and 43.0 gr of Hybrid 100v or Starline brass and 42.8 gr of RL 17 powder. Shot #1 was from a cold bore. The shots on the right target use Starline brass, 43.2 gr RL 17 and Speer 120 gr Gold Dot. As far as point of impact, happily, these 3 different loads are interchangeable.

With your help I was able to accomplish my goal. I'm looking forward to chronographing the loads and comparing velocity of the RL 17 and Hybrid 100v powders.

Thx guys. thumbup

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Looks like you've got it whipped!

------------------------------
I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2114 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have RL17, just not finding any bullets I like. I only have a single box of 120 Sierra's, and I will save them for my 6.5x30JDJ. I have came up with Three Boxes of Hornady 129 SP's, and may be able to come up with more. I will probably start working with them a little shortly in my 260 Remington. Any idea of what powder charge for the 129 bullets and RL17? I came up with 42.5 @ 57,222 psi that was supposed to be a Quick Load work up, and not a tried out load?

Bob R

Posts: 331 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viper225:
I have RL17, just not finding any bullets I like. I only have a single box of 120 Sierra's, and I will save them for my 6.5x30JDJ. I have came up with Three Boxes of Hornady 129 SP's, and may be able to come up with more. I will probably start working with them a little shortly in my 260 Remington. Any idea of what powder charge for the 129 bullets and RL17? I came up with 42.5 @ 57,222 psi that was supposed to be a Quick Load work up, and not a tried out load?

Bob R

Viper My QL setup is showing even less PSI than the info you have. I have it set to the standard OAL of 2.80 and the standard case volume so changing those could affect it some. Also I'm have shot 43.0 grains of RL17 in my 260 Remington with the Sierra 130grain TGK bullet so you should be able to start with 42.0-42.5 grains. My load shows as being in the 52761psi range but my velocities are running about where QL shows as the 59000psi range.

Bruce

posted Hide Post
BruceP That sounds promising. I have approximately 15 Inches of rifled barrel on the Encore. (Bullberry Integral "Drilled" Muzzle Brake) I wonder what velocity I can expect from RL17, and the 129 Hornady's.

My local reloading shops have not had a good selection of 120 - 130 grain 6.5mm Hunting Bullets for a long time. Our local Club shoots both Steel Tactical and 600 F Class Match's. The shops have a fair selection of 140 and up target bullets in 6.5mm, just no hunting bullets. I came up with a box of Sierra 120 SP for $39.95 at the more reasonably priced shop a while back. A little later I passed on the same bullets at another shop priced at around $54 a box. I guess in hind sight I should have let myself be robbed and bought them. The extra $14 would not have killed me, I was just aggravated knowing they get their bullets from the same distributor, and I am sure paid the same price for them. I also came up with three box's of the Hornady 129 SP's which should work reasonably well in the 260 Remington.
With a 6.5x30JDJ I probably need to reserve the 120 Sierra's for it. This pretty much leaves me with 129 Hornady's to work with in the 260 Remington.

So far all of my work with my 260 has been with 95 V-Max and 107 SMK bullets the best that I remember. The 260 Remington Bullberry barrel is a tack driver from what I have seen from it so far.
I have not gotten into my stash of new Starline 260 Brass so far, so I will be using reformed 243 Winchester brass in Winchester brand cases for my load work-up. With your additional information, I am pretty confident that 42.0 should be a safe load. I may start load development a hair lower, and work up .5 grains at a time to be safe.

Bob R

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Viper225,

Posts: 331 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viper225:
BruceP That sounds promising. I have approximately 15 Inches of rifled barrel on the Encore. (Bullberry Integral "Drilled" Muzzle Brake) I wonder what velocity I can expect from RL17, and the 129 Hornady's.

Bob R

Bob the 260 I have is a Remington XP100R with a 14.5" factory barrel and looking at my notes 42.5 grains of RL17 gave me 2548 fps and 43.0 grains gave 2577 fps both with the Sierra 130 TGK bullet. This was in Peterson brass with a Remington 9 1/2 primer.

Bruce

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not gotten into my stash of new Starline 260 Brass so far, so I will be using reformed 243 Winchester brass in Winchester brand cases for my load work-up. With your additional information, I am pretty confident that 42.0 should be a safe load. I may start load development a hair lower, and work up .5 grains at a time to be safe.

Go ahead and start working on the Starline brass. thumbup When I first got my 260, the only brass available to load were also other issues I've since addressed. Next I bought some Nosler, but could only get #50. That tided me over briefly until I decided to try my first Starline brass. I really like the quality of Starline brass and can recommend it highly. My 260 now shoots much more consistently w/ Nosler or Starline brass than it ever did w/ necked up brass.

posted Hide Post
You might try Superformance powder.

Posts: 19 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post