Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low recoil 38 Special? Login/Join 

Picture of big10
posted
So I have a Ruger LCR that I want to loan to my daughter so she has something to hold her over but she hates the recoil of that gun and to be honest I don't like to shoot more than a few cylinders a session either, even with standard 38's much less +P. It is "snappy" to say the least, with a minimum load of Titegroup (4.3) and a 125 JHP. Was thinking of triming down cases to 1.012" from 1.145" and loading to 38 Long Colt data but thought I'd ask if anyone has reduced power loads for 38 Special to save me the effort. I suppose I could also just deep seat the bullet.

TIA, Rod

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
For some reason Tightgroup seems to be sort of a snappy powder. If you have access to some Hodgdon Clays you might give that a try as it seems to give a softer recoil at the lower loadings. Also 700X is a bit softer too.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but don't have either of those. Do have some HS-6

thumbup Rod

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
HS 6 works great in my 38 Special Contender
Start with about 6.5 gr and work up, about 900 fps

DAN

Posts: 677 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss, it's the ticket for lite 38 loads. You'll want to run a 110 or 125 grain bullet to get the lowest recoil.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
Trail Boss, it's the ticket for lite 38 loads. You'll want to run a 110 or 125 grain bullet to get the lowest recoil.

Thanks, Mike. I had thought of that but I'd like to use something that pours well from a Lyman 55. What velocity can one expect from TB?

thumbup Rod

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DAN L:
HS 6 works great in my 38 Special Contender
Start with about 6.5 gr and work up, about 900 fps

DAN

Thanks, Dan. Might have to load some up and see how it feels.

thumbup Rod

posted Hide Post
I load 3.1 grains of Titegroup and a 148 grain double end wadcutter. With a lighter powder charge but a heavier bullet I don't know how that would compare in recoil with your load but my wife shoots it in her Taurus 85 which is also a heavier gun that yours. Just another option to try. I believe that a hollow base wadcutter can go even lower with the powder but I don't have a manual in front of me right now.

Bruce

Posts: 950 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
I just tried some Ramshot Silhouette in my M10 S&W 38 with some 125 and 158 HP's and so far am pretty impressed. Haven't had a chance to chrono because of weather but it was hitting about 2" lower and tighter than HS6 with the recoil of a target wadcutter. Muzzle flash was non-existant and the report was much milder, more of a thump than a pop. I've messed with this powder before when WW offered it as WAP and it always was accurate in the 45 acp but it needs to be loaded "right up there" at the top to burn clean. Going to do some more testing when time and weather allows. Might be something to try or if you can find someone local that has some to borrow and test for yourself.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Duffy. I am thinking of picking up another powder but I need it to be useable in 380 ACP and 9mm as well. Have heard that HP-38 works but will have to look into Sihouette as well.

thumbup Rod

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big10:
Have heard that HP-38 works but will have to look into Sihouette as well.
HP-38 is the same as W231. It will work good for light loads but isn't as soft shooting as a powder like trail boss. W231 works good in 9 & 380 too.

mike

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Get you some Bullseye with 2.7gr behind a 125gr bullet. A nice bunny fart load.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged. Eight generation Texan.

Posts: 27 | Location: Paris, TX | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It is old school but it still works and if it ain't broke why try to fix it. Get some Unique. It will not only work in all the calibers you mentioned but it will work really well. Get some hollow base wad cutters 148 gr and load 3.5 grs Unique. If somebody has grabbed a hold of her if she putts one or more of these center mass they will turn her loose. the wad cutter will cut a caliber size hole and a low moving jhp will leave a hole about half the size because it does not expand and just slips through flesh. If she can't handle this light recoil give her a ball bat.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes
Unique works great!!
I suggested HS6 because you said you had some in the garage

DAN

Posts: 677 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Shot1, that's been my carry load in a Smith M15 2" for years at times. I use a little more Unique than you. I tested it on groundhogs. Very ugly results. I carried it hunting a lot to try to get a double (with one shot). Worked great. Then I got cocky and tried to do more with one shot. I spent over an hour sitting at one hole ...waiting. Eventually momma and 4 little ones came out & got in a straight line!! I got the first-little one, and momma next, but the HBWC expanded too much to get the next 3. I was crushed. Carried big revolvers after that trying for 3 or more with one shot. Never got that many lined up.
Bottom line- the HBWC expands rapidly, creates a lot of damage, but won't penetrate for crap. I actually knew that, but I had to fins out. It's a great low recoil, carry round.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Doc were you loading the HBWC backwards with the hollow base forward? The load I mentioned was to load it the conventual way and that was about the lowest powder charge to use because he was wanting low recoil.

I did load some HBWC backwards with a little stiffer charge just to see how they would shoot. Just so happened where I used to live in east NC the place that I did my shooting was an old sand pit that people had started dumping lots of trash. They would also drop off unwanted dogs or because of the garbage strays would end up there. Some of them were mean. The day that I went to try out my HBWC backward loads some dip stick had dumped a load of house shingles not very far into the property on and into part of the road. I decided not to drive past them for fear of nails in my new truck tires. I parked and gathered my zip lock plastic bag of loads and the pistol and stick a target in my back pocket and a pack of thumb tacks in my shirt pocket and was walking to where the target back was. As I was walking I loaded the pistol, a 6" Dan Wesson 357 mag. I had just closed the cylinder when to my left there was a large pile of garbage and out popped about a 30 lb mutt mixed with pit-bull in full attack mode. I went into combat mode and popped three shoots so fast double action that it must have sounded like one. First went center of chest the other two went in a line from right to left one in the shoulder and the other tight behind the shoulder at an hard angle and the charge ended in a nose plow with blood spiriting from various places quickly. The shots were from about 8 yards. The first exited 3/4 way back in the chest cavity on offside. The one in the shoulder did not exit. The third exited in the gut on the offside. The exits were about nickel size. I was really surprised at the penetration. Latter I shot some for accuracy at 20 yards and they were pretty accurate. I shot some into some damp pieces of sheetrock that I stacked together enough to catch a couple bullets and they expanded to nickel size. I never fooled anymore with them after this.
My carry load for 2" 38 Special is a +p load of Unique and the Speer SB 135 gr. Gold Dot. It averages 850 fps and expands very well and will hold together being a bonded bullet and it does pretty good at penetration in water jug and wet pack newspaper. This load is really accurate and shoots to the sights of my Tarus 85.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get some Unique.

Thanks but I prefer powders that will pour consistantly from my Lyman 55's.

thumbup Rod

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DAN L:
Yes
Unique works great!!
I suggested HS6 because you said you had some in the garage

DAN

I will give it a shot. I like HS-6 because it is versatile. I use it in my 45 Colt, can go from mild to fairly wild with the one powder. It also pours like water from a Lyman 55.

thumbup Rod

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
If she can't handle this light recoil give her a ball bat.

It's not about handling recoil, that light little revolver is just painful to shoot. She loves to shoot my GP-100 with 357's and my 1911's and even my American and LC9s. I don't even enjoy shooting that LCRx, but I figured the simplicity of a revolver might be a plus. I wonder if there is a different grip for it that might help. Think I may just loan her the LC9s, she has no problem operating it and it is much more comfortable to shoot.

Ball bat? Really? nuts laugh

thumbup Rod

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's not about handling recoil, that light little revolver is just painful to shoot.
Different grips an option? I'm trying that for my wife with her Bodyguard 38. To her, its not pleasant to shoot so I replaced the factory grips with a Hogue. She hasn't tried it yet but I'm fairly confident they're going to be a winner. Wink

mike

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
quote:
quote:

It's not about handling recoil, that light little revolver is just painful to shoot.
Different grips an option? I'm trying that for my wife with her Bodyguard 38. To her, its not pleasant to shoot so I replaced the factory grips with a Hogue. She hasn't tried it yet but I'm fairly confident they're going to be a winner. Wink

I am going to look into it, Mike. Even if just for me. I don't enjoy that thing one little bit, and that is with 125's and standard loads. With 158's and +P it is a royal pain.....

thumbup Rod