Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading Information, Data & Equipment    Need load data for 300 gr Speer 45 Colt.

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need load data for 300 gr Speer 45 Colt. Login/Join 

posted
I don't have the newer Speer manual and am needing load data for Ruger Black Hawk loads for the 45 Colt with the Speer 300 gr SP bullet. I have H110/WW296 and Blue Dot and Unique powders that should get me into the HEAVY loads. Pistol has 5 1/2" barrel and will be used in case I need to stop a black bear while fooling around in the woods. Those things are getting to be very numerous and bold in my area. I have been loading 250 XTPs or cast SWC but came into a couple hundred Speer 300s and I think they should be about perfect.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon has data for the Speer 300 and H110

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

21.8 min and 22.2 max

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you.
I have Sierra's manual and they have a 300 gr bullet and that is within their data for H110. You never know what a specific bullet make data may be. With the heavy loads for 45 Colt the data is all over the place between sources. After a second look at the bullets I discovered I only have 100. I have two boxes but there is only 50 in a box. Not as good a deal as I thought. Such is life. LOL

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Weather and time finally permitted me to get out to shoot some of the Speer 300 gr. 45 Colt loads yesterday just before my handgun carry permit class students showed up to qualify at the range.
After doing a bunch of looking at loading data which is all over the place with H110 with "Ruger/Contender only load" I decided to start with the suggested hunting load for "Ruger's" out of the Sierra Manual with their 300 gr jacketed bullet. They list as this load what is their max load with WW296 of 20.5 grs. This is also the max load listed with H110 which I know that they are both the same powder. I used some new Remington nickel cases primed with CCI 350s and used a pretty good roll crimp in groove on the bullet. I was shooting off hand at 10 yards. I fired three shots and the point of impact was about 2" higher than where 22 grs H110 with 250 Hornady XTP bullets shoot. I adjusted the sight down and fired three more shots and was about 1" below were I wanted POI so I adjusted the sight up what I thought would correct POI and it did. I fired four more shots and put three of them on the money. The reason for shooting 4 shots was because I jerked the trigger on one and pulled it low left. All groups discounting the one called jerk on the trigger were under 1". This load shot pretty hard and should be running around 1000 fps from the 5 1/2" barrel. I will load up some more and chrno them in the future and if they are not running 1000 to 1100 fps I will bump the powder up a little and see what happens. I am sure that this load would adjust the attitude of any black bear that may have mischief on his mind while I am bow hunting this year.

posted Hide Post
I am using 315 gr RFGC from Matt's bullets cast at 20:1 alloy. In my 5 1/2" Ruger and The sweet spot is at 22 gr/ 296 with a Fed mag primer. This load goes thru the chrono at 1110 fps. This load is safe and not max in my gun.

Posts: 39 | Location: Pa. | Registered: April 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Steve E
posted Hide Post
I have been running 22 gr. of H110 under the Lee 300 gr gas check bullet for around 1150 fps.Very accurate load for me.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 640 | Location: SEMO | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post