Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed 45 J Magnum Login/Join 

posted
Hey guys. I’m reaching out to the historians on this one. I have a set of 45 J Magnum dies I found in a bunch of miscellaneous stuff and I’m trying to find information on it. It is a 4 die RCBS set and it would appear to be a pistol round. RCBS lists the 45 J Magnum die set in H dies as #56553.

Reloaders Manual for Cartridge Conversions lists nothing.
No results here.
Nothing on loaddata.com
Nothing in Wildcat Cartridges Volume II
Nothing in IHMSA Reloading Guide for Handgun Accuracy 1982
Other forums gave no results.

Given the knowledge base here I think this is my best bet. Thanks.

Posts: 37 | Location: Merica | Registered: August 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
All I could think of would be Lee Jurras?

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That was my thought as well, but sadly he is no longer with us to ask. I can’t figure out what brass, how long, load data, or what firearm it was chambered for. I found a post stating it may have been made from 458 Winchester brass, but nothing else.

Maybe it was part of the Howdah line he did?

Posts: 37 | Location: Merica | Registered: August 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I found mention that the 45 J-Mag was designed by John Jeffredo and it was the basis for the 451 Detonics.

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
It starts on page 75.
45 J-mag

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks HotRod. I must have found that book while you were typing your response. I also found this link which people here may find interesting https://firearmsradio.tv/handg...-with-daniel-watters about a podcast episode that is dedicated to mostly forgotten magnum semi automatics. The gentlemen state John Jeffredo made a rotating barrel conversion for the 1911 called the Mach 2. If anyone has one I would like to see a picture.

This search turned me onto that podcast, but also to Jon Power's 44 MAGMATIC pistol. We need to make the 44 Magmatic a reality.

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
Jeffredo Gunsight made several different J-Mags designed for the 1911. They were based off the 308 Winchester case and were made in 257, 308, 9mm, 357 & 45.
I have RCBS dies for both the 9mm and 45 version. I got the dies several years ago when I bought a bunch of misc. stuff at the closing of a small gun shop. I do not have reloading data for them.

Posts: 2335 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xrayoneone:
Thanks HotRod. I must have found that book while you were typing your response. I also found this link which people here may find interesting https://firearmsradio.tv/handg...-with-daniel-watters about a podcast episode that is dedicated to mostly forgotten magnum semi automatics. The gentlemen state John Jeffredo made a rotating barrel conversion for the 1911 called the Mach 2. If anyone has one I would like to see a picture.

This search turned me onto that podcast, but also to Jon Power's 44 MAGMATIC pistol. We need to make the 44 Magmatic a reality.

Since the podcast, I've found a reference to the earlier Jeffredo J-Mag kits in an early edition of "Guns Illustrated." The original kits used standard profile M1911 replacement barrels.

You can see an ad for the Mach 2 kit in the September/October 1986 issue of "American Handgunner" on Pg 83.

https://americanhandgunner.com...es/HSO86.pdf#page=83

Posts: 2 | Location: Iowa | Registered: May 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Alas, it appears that John Jeffredo left the range several years ago. Here is an online profile of his career.

https://prabook.com/web/john_victor.jeffredo/376464

The Jeffredo Gunsight Company operated between 1971 and 1981. It then became a division of JXJ, Inc. It is not clear how long the J-Mag and Mach 2 kits were offered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Daniel Watters,

Posts: 2 | Location: Iowa | Registered: May 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post