Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any wildcat based off the 303 British? Login/Join 

posted
I have an old enfield Nr1 i picked up and looking to re-barrel it for a pistol grip short stock rifle. I want something that will fit the bolt with way less recoil. Thanks, Roger.

Navy Chief. Retired.

Posts: 322 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
The Aussies have wildcatted the 303 British a lot. 303-22, 303-25, 303-270 and some more even using 308 bullets, 303-308. There is also a 303-35 and I'm sure more seems I've seen one that was 416 also.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Al beat me to it. I was going to recommend you look at what the guys down under have done with that parent case. I think the 25-303, and "AI" version have been very popular there. Not sure about the 6mm variant. But for lower recoil, that's where I'd be looking.

Posts: 754 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Just a note if you do decide to go with the 303 British case make sure you have a plentiful supply of brass before you start because some times 303 brass can be hard to come by.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. Gives me plenty to research.

Navy Chief. Retired.

Posts: 322 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know Ken Waters did a few articles on wildcats based on the old Krag case, but I don't remember if he did any on the 303 Brit case. I'll go have a look in my "Pet Loads" book and see.

Posts: 754 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
22-303 Varmint-R

I didn't see anything in the Pet Loads volume, but in "Wildcat Cartridges Vol. 1", also by Wolfe Publishing, there is an article by Ken Waters on the 22-303 Varmint-R wildcat. Sadly, there is no loading data listed. There is a cartridge dimension drawing. The reprinted article in the book also doesn't list the original article date.

6mm/303 and 6mm/303 Improved

Same book, "Wildcat Cartridges Vol. 1", has a brief article on the 6mm/303 and Improved. There is no case dimension drawing, and no load data. But says it's just necked down to 6mm with no other changes (although it describes a reduced body taper version as an "improved" version). Again, no original article printing date is listed.

I also seem to remember you could adapt one of the Krag wildcats to work with the 303 Brit bolt face?

James Gates has an article reprinted in "Wildcat Cartridges Vol. 2" on a 25 Krag Improved, complete with cartridge dimensional drawing and some actual load data. It appears to step very closely to the 25-06 in performance.

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have thought about building a 6mm Musgrave (6-303) it would be similar to a 243 I would think, prob wouldn't stomp it as hard as my 6-06 but it would be cool. You can buy dies for it too!

There are also a bunch of 303 variants made by Mr. Epps that are talked about in P.O. Ackley's books.

Posts: 935 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
30-40 years ago I have a good idea why the 303Brit and 7.62x54R were ignored for TC wildcats.

Now, today there is no excuse.
Both should be as easy if not easier than 225 Winchester to find.
30-40 Krag was another and it is scarce as chicken lips at times.
Heck the 405 was all but dead,dried up and blown away up until a few years ago.
The 348 is another that is spotty.

Interesting what the definition of “demand” today compared to when some
of these sporting cartridges came about.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post

Posts: 763 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Been researching this 303 wildcat idea and it brought me to the 30 Harret. The bolt face on the Harret is listed at .506. A measurement of 303 Brit cases that i have are at .533. Now trying to figure out if the extractor will pull a .506 case. Any ideas or recommendations?

Navy Chief. Retired.

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
The .30 Herrett is based on the .30-30 case, hence the different rim diameter. But it is a pretty short round and may not feed well in the long Enfield action. It is a wildcat cartridge requiring considerable case forming and is a handloading-only proposition.

If it were me, I’d simply download the .303 to Herrett velocities with Herrett bullets. Far easier, more reliable. But it’s you, not me.

Posts: 763 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So what do you think about the rim on the 7-30 Waters? I think the bolt extractor from the 303 Brit will pick up this case since it is based off the 30-30 case. My brother has a 7mm br he built on a Remington 700 long action for single shot only. Just throw it and it picks it up. Any recommendations?

Navy Chief. Retired.

posted Hide Post
The ORIGINAL 338 JDJ was based on the 303 case. Had one for a while then sold it to a friend and bought the one based on the 444 case. My friend passed away and another friend got the barrel @ the estate sale and still uses it.

Swamp Donkey

Posts: 523 | Location: USA | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post