Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 special loads Login/Join 

Picture of KYODE
posted
I have some 240gr cast bullets and hodgdon universal powder to try in my “new to me” 4 5/8” flat top blackhawk. What kind of special loads are you using?

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Might as well link a pic Big Grin ...........

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eQzND5qyYAK3L3t36

------------------------

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good looking handgun, been kicking around getting the Bisley version. My current load is a 240 cast over some Green Dot.

Posts: 87 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
Been 7.5 grains of Universal in my 44 Specials. Pretty much duplicates the "Skeeter" loads.

Tim
------------------------------

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6882 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Hodgdons load data states 4.9 start - 5.6 grains max, for Universal.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1508 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
I knew i had seen warmer data with universal. Forget where, other than what magman mentions. Was hoping tim the 44 revolver man would reply. thumbup

Im excited to find a good light target load. Hope universal does it, but there is a lot to choose from out there. Keep your options coming. happy

------------------------

Join the NRA

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
If you have any IMR 7625, Tightgroup, WW231 ect that may be better suited for your needs. I've tried Universal with lighter loads and it leaves a fair amount of unburnt flakes and the accuracy wasn't that great in the ones I tried it in. (ie 45 colt, 38 spec, and medium 45 auto) I didn't really pursue it further and that's why the hotter loadings work better with Universal but as always your milage may vary.

------------------------------

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Wow that gun looks sooooo familiar......

Rusty
—————————
“Dyin ain’t much of a livin”
Josey Wales

Posts: 448 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I really like my pair. Need to find a cast bullets but they like jacketed as well. Replaced the cheese grator grips and made a huge difference.

Posts: 3151 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
I figured id try the cheese graters first n see how it goes. New grips are definately an option ive considered.
Universal and 2400 are the only suitable pistol powders i have so far. Target/plinking is the main purpose. So light loads are preferable. I have 44 mags if revolver hunting.

Unique is always popular.....but as far as i know, universal is very similar.

------------------------

Join the NRA

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
They sure are beauties.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1508 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You might want to google the book of the 44 by John Taffin. lots of good reading about 44 special there, and loads also.

Posts: 192 | Location: shawnee, ks usa | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There is a lot of good reading and data also here http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc...44_Special_Articles/

Posts: 192 | Location: shawnee, ks usa | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Classic load of 7.5 unique 240 commercial cast shoot good in my Mod 24 and 624.
For pure accuracy I use 7.0/unique /240 csw in my Mod 24.

Posts: 3540 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a Model 624 with a 6 1/2" barrel. 250 cast bullet 5.3 gr HP38 for 700 fps target load. 13.0 gr 2400 pushes it up to 950 fps.

Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
Life Member, New York State Rifle Association
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Posts: 141 | Location: Catskill Mountains NY | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
my old bulldog likes 5g of w231 under a 240g keith bullet. shoots very well.

Posts: 41 | Location: Ill | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post