Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AA 1680 in 45-70 for Moose Login/Join 

posted
Hello All
I've looking to work up a full house 45-70 load for my 15" encore using the Barnes 300gn TAC-TX bullet with the goal of having a 150 yard moose gun. I load it now with RL7 and found a MV of ~1900fps was the most accurate and repeatable (magnum primers really tightened up the speeds and groups for this load) and it will literally knock deer over. I found that more powder didn't produce consistent velocity increases, nor did adding heavy crimps to the process. Based on the Barnes load data from their website for Marlin and Ruger No. 1, I was thinking of trying AA 1680. It's ~10% denser (grains/cc) and Barns reports higher velocities with lower load density. I'm looking to get 2050-2100fps from it if I can. For comparison, the Buffalo Barns 300gn flat nose factory load clocks in at >2050 from this gun with a compressed load of unknown powder, but the BC of the FN bullet is a good bit lower then the Spitzer TAC-TX and really sucks the velocity and energy out fast.

Any thoughts, comments, experiences or advice on the loading?

Any thoughts on how much gun is needed for moose at close to moderate ranges?

Posts: 108 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Hey KV,
TXBRASS is tearing it up with his 45-70 XP. Reach out to him.
Derek >>>--------->

Posts: 756 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll try that

Posts: 108 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Update-
I went out to the range with a bunch of loads based on the Barnes 1895 Marlin data and hit the goal of 2050+fps at max load from my 13.5"+break factory barrel with the 300 Barnes TAC-TX bullet. The base of the bullet (after bullet seating for my gun with the TAC-TX bullet) is the same from the Barnes loading data with the 300gn TSX-FN (an incidentally the Buffalo Barnes 300gn TSX-FN factory load which also achieves 2050+fps in the same setup). There seemed to be a sweet spot at Max load but more accuracy testing is in the works. I was using Starline brass and Remington Magnum primers. This is ~150fps more then I was able to achieve with RL7.

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
I’m not surprised. In my .375 WCF older load data with AA1680 often shows significant velocity increases over RL-7 at the same pressures.

Posts: 763 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post