Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 MAGNUM CONTENDER DATA Login/Join 

posted
Does any one have any experience with 357 Magnum.
Trying not to buy a bunch of powder.
What is the best powder for accuracy in a 14 inch bull barrell?
I am using 2400 with mixed results, would H 110 or AA No7 be better?
I stay away from IMR 4227, it never burns completely for me.
Using a Hornady 158 XTP bullet

Thx
DAN

Posts: 677 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Dan I personally use H110/Win296 powder, they are they same powder. Mine is in a 6" revolver. In a 14" Contender you will most likely get 1600+ FPS with 158's. You do need to crimp the bullets to get a good consistent burn and not leave unburnt powder in the barrel.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
WW 296 is the way to go. I have 2 Pythons that have taken 5 heavy 8 points from 50-80 yds. and 10+ does. I noticed that XTPs did not expand much and performed less than 158 gr. Sierra JHCs which created more internal damage. None of the bucks ran more than 5 yds. Most dropped, including the 80 yarder.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Al
Do you use a roll crimp or taper?
Do you seat and crimp separately?
I believe crimp is my accuracy problem

DAN

Posts: 677 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Dan I use both but on straight walled cases I normally use a roll crimp and I also do the crimp in a separate operation.

Albert
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Lilgun and a 180 is what I like.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Depending on the barrel, you can run some really hot loads thru a contender 357 mag barrel. Years ago, I ran apile of W296 and noslers 158jhp. It was really hot and case life was short. W296 and H110 and my favorites in this round.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Went to test today
The H110 did not really group and printed low left - tried 15gr

I tried 2400 again and backed off load to 12.5 gr
Pistol did not jump off the rest, lighter recoil
Shot pretty good
15 round group at 50 yards

DAN

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
I prefer Accurate #9 for bullets 158 gr and heavier in the .357 Mag.

Posts: 3316 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
13.5 grs H110 which is a max load according to Hodgdon data with the Hornady 180 XTP is super accurate and very deadly on deer out of my 10" Contender 357 mag.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know you mentioned you didn't want to use IMR 4227 but I have a 13" .357 Mag Match Grade Machine Heavy Factory Contour for the Encore that is scary accurate with the 158 XTP's and that powder. I don't know if it's the barrel, or the powder or both. But I like it. Yes it leaves unburnt kernels but I can live with it when it seems so hard to miss what I'm shooting at. You might give it a try if you already have the powder.

Posts: 434 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I like Alliant 300MP for 180's in my Contender. Great speed and accuracy plus it knocks deer stone cold dead.

----------------------------------

Happiness is a target rich environment.

Posts: 293 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Max charge , from Lyman #46 manual, of 296 and mag primers. The 158 XTPs are doing 1600+ from my 10" barrel . If you are looking for a hunting load that is one
thing target loads are usually much lighter.

Posts: 3540 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post