Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading Information, Data & Equipment    Looking for an expanding 75 gr .224 bullet

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for an expanding 75 gr .224 bullet Login/Join 

Picture of big10
posted
My 20" SPR AR-15 loves the Hornady 75 grain HP bullet, shoots raggedy holes @ 100 meters regularly. I would like to find a SP bullet, or similar expanding, in the same weight range for hunting and defense that will fit magazine OAL. What have you had success with?

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6432 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Speer 75 gr Gold Dot. They also make it in 55 and 62 gr. It is a pre-scored soft point boat tail bonded bullet. It will expand quickly with five peddles but holds together and keeps on trucking an average of 20" in ballistic jell. This bullet was designed to meet or exceed FBI barrier test.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
62 grain GD or the 73 grain ELD-M

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://sebrests-usa.com/
http://bulletin.accurateshoote...ld-test-by-sam-hall/
SP's by Mac's Gunworks, H-S Precision, Holland's, Aaron Alexander, Chris Rhodes, & Nine Run Gun

Posts: 11848 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Anyone got data for the 75 Speer and/or 73 Hornady using H335, H4895 and Varget? Could I use Hodgdon's data for the 75 JLK?

thumbup Rod

Posts: 6432 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Speer has free data on the web. Just do a search. With the Speer Gold Dots no matter the caliber do not just substitute another bullets load data. This bullet will show pressure quicker with the same powder but you will still get the same velocity with it with less powder as you do with some others with more of the same powder. I think it has to do with it being a bonded bullet. I suggest you use a chronograph doing a work up and do not try to achieve the highest velocity possible. Stay with the normal velocity range. On YouTube Jonny's reloading has done some load work ups in HIS rifle and found that IMR 8208 and Horandy Leverlution (SP?) (LVR) and I think ARcomp worked well. You probably should find good results with Varget.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Never been all too concerned about speed, as long as accuracy is there. Looks like Speer data for the GD is about 2 grains less than Hodgdon data for the 75 JLK. The top end speed for the GD is about the same as starting for the JLK but as I said, speed isn't king. Thanks for the lead.

thumbup Rod

posted Hide Post
Check barrel length when looking a velocity of data given. I don't know why the data is based on 24" barrels in much of the 223 load data when most 223 is shot in shorter barrels. One thing I have also noticed is that Speers load data tends to be pretty conservative. They do list 5.56 data that is a bit better.