Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder increase Login/Join 

Picture of Snake Reaper
posted
When working up loads how much does everyone increase there powder. In increments of what. tenth , half or whole grain incrments. Starting at minimium and working till most accurate or presure signs or hitting book max i know. But how fast does everyone work up when going by book ? For.example a 6.5 creed using a 140 grain sst and h4350 starts at 35.6 then 37.6 then 39.6 , 40 .5 then max 41.5. by the 10th edition hornady book . Or does everyone start at min and go by 10th or half grain. Just looking for more experience than what i have. Just really getting back into rifle cal. I kniw once hi hit accurate load for the rifle at had u work by 10ths back and forth to find most accurate . Just looking for best way and safest way everyone starts.

Posts: 167 | Location: Georgia | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I usually work in half grain increments till it shows promise then tweak from there ,couple of tenth either way.I look to accuracy first, at a speed I can live with,not trying to get that last tenth of an inch or fps.

Posts: 325 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
If my load work is just to find a maximum charge, it all depends on the case size/powder volume. For a real small case like the 22 CCM, I worked up in .1 grains. For cases the size of 221FB - 223 Rem/5.56 I'd work up in .2-.3 range. Once I get beyond that I'd do .5 and for the big magnums I've gone 1 grain.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
Pretty much what Magnum Mike said. It is about % of increase for the case size. If you have a case that only holds 10 grains and you increase 1gr at a time, each grain is 10%. If the case holds 100 grains and you increase 1gr at a time it is only a 1% increase. The smaller the case the smaller the increments.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1582 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
It depends on the load range. Some data only allows 2 grains or less min to max and some is much wider. I divide the total range in to 8 steps and then start in the middle. I have never had best accuracy in the lower half of the load range. Usually best accuracy comes @ 75% or higher. Once I get two steps that are showing promise I will split the difference to see if it improves and then again if necessary.

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I usually use a 5 step increment from start to max.
5.5-7.5gn, I would use 5.5, 5.9, 6.3, 6.7, 7.1gn, and go above if there was a reason to.
For 47.8-55.6, I would go 47.8, 49.3, 50.8, 52.3, 53.8 and go on up if there are no pressure signs.
I may only fire one or two rounds each, but I have been bitten before where just the mid-range load was already a max load in my gun with that bullet and lot of powder, so I approach MAX cautiously. In fact, once with a .44 Rem Mag and once with a 9x19, the START load was MAX or over-max with my gun and components, so I also always check multiple manuals.

Posts: 24 | Location: arizona | Registered: December 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, once with a .44 Rem Mag and once with a 9x19, the START load was MAX or over-max with my gun and components, so I also always check multiple manuals.

What indicators are you relying on to determine MAX in your guns? You must be scared to death of shooting factory ammo......

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post