Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16" 6BR Powders Login/Join 

posted
I just ordered a 16" Encore full bull, 10 twist, 6BR barrel from MGM and I'm compiling reloading components and I was wondering what powders might perform the best? The powders I have on hand are BLC2, Varget, CFE223, 4320, 748, & Ramshot Xterminator. I know this means nothing just saying. I've got a few others in mind to try such as 4895 but I was wondering if you all had any experience with this caliber and length of barrel. Thanks for your replies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parisite,

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged. Eight generation Texan.

Posts: 27 | Location: Paris, TX | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
I have a XP-100 6BR with a 14.5" barrel 1-8" twist. Really likes Varget with 107gr bullets.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1582 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
H322 with 70gr sierra match thumbup
Have also had good loads with AA2015 and Benchmark with 70-80gr bullets.

Kinnda like a 223.....lots of things shoot good in it. Great one to shoot.

Mine is a virgin valley custom 15” with 1:10” twist.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Another vote for Varget in my 6BR XP-100.

Gordon

Posts: 121 | Location: SW Ala | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Go to the 6BR.com (?) website. Lots of info, but the one thing that stuck with me was Varget. About 30.0 grains I think. I researched this when I picked up a used 14 inch SSK Contender barrel in 6BR. I'm using the Sierra 85gr HPBT Game King seated out to touch the lands, 31.0 grains Varget, and a CCI 450. Velocity was 2650 fps and shot into .747 inch for 5 shots at 100 yards. The 30.0 grain load was a little better accuracy wise at .604 inch at 100 yards, but velocity was a little lower at 2580 fps. Since I was looking for a hunting load I went with the slightly faster one. Everyone recommends Lapua brass, so that is what I bought, and I believe the website also recommended using CCI 450's with the Varget. I shot my groups using a Burris 3-12X pistol scope, and I believe I used it at 9X. I didn't have good results using CFE223 and the Sierra 85gr, but that is just my barrel. Hope this helps.

Posts: 12 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a 1/14 twist
I use 65 gr Berger column bullets with Varget
Most accurate load I found

DAN

Posts: 677 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of snowsnake
posted Hide Post
My 15" XP Shilen bbl w/a 1-10 twist likes Varget behind a Sierra 85g BTHP.

Posts: 225 | Location: S.W. VA | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of dashers and BRs....I go through lots of Varget

Posts: 935 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What size neck bushing die should I get? The Hornady die set says the neck bushings are sold separately. I have no idea. The barrel is supposed to have a .272 neck.
Thanks!

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged. Eight generation Texan.

Posts: 27 | Location: Paris, TX | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would go 269. three thousand is a safe start place.
Reminder Boattails need more neck tension than flat base
As cases get older you will probably go down lower to keep neck tension consistent.

DAN

Posts: 677 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
Get your brass seat a bullet and measure what the neck is with the loaded round. Subtract .003 and order that bushing. Without knowing a loaded round neck diam it's hard to order the correct bushing.

Posts: 935 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of snowsnake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sawcarver:
Get your brass seat a bullet and measure what the neck is with the loaded round. Subtract .003 and order that bushing. Without knowing a loaded round neck diam it's hard to order the correct bushing.

I agree. Use Lapua brass, the neck thickness is very consistent, much better than Remington brass.

Posts: 225 | Location: S.W. VA | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
Varget & 87VMAX, or the new Sierra 90g tipped GameKing. That 10 twist is good to 6/700ys tho better under.(Bullet BC) Forget the 105, 107g in a 10T bbl. nothing over 90gr will shoot well. (MGM Encore BBL, & McGowanXP-R, both 10T)

My favorite has been the 87 VMAX for years, the new Sierra had shot very well right off the bat. Also don't hesitate to load 10'thou into the lands, when doing load ladders, & OAL testing. My best loads put the bullet 10-15'thousandths into the lands, not off them.

RL-15 Shoots as well as Varget from my bbls.

But 30g Varget is a magic point to try, hard to beat in 6BR, (87 or 107)

YMMV
Mike B.
lapopular@aol.com

email me, happy to share loading data, do look on 6mmbr.com also.

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1509 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the info. I have found great deals on and have acquired Lapua brass, 68gr Berger and 77gr Lapua bullets. I really don't have a desire to shoot over 90gr bullets as my range maxes out at 200 yds. Can't wait to try 4320 powder. It has been a stellar performer in everything I've tried it in and it's about the same burn rate as Varget and smaller cut.

posted Hide Post
quote:
BLC2, Varget, CFE223, 4320, 748, & Ramshot Xterminator. I know this means nothing just saying. I've got a few others in mind to try such as 4895

Parasite, Welcome to the wonderful world of the 6 BR! Strap in and get ready for a fun ride! I've been loading and shooting an XP in 6 BR 7-8 years.

Dies: I use Redding dies, full length to prep for the initial load, then neck bushing die (0.58 since my has a thin neck) and micrometer die for bullet seating.

Brass: I've only used Lapua brass and I've been very pleased. I check for neck concentricity and cull those >0.002", usually <5/100. Remington no longer makes 6 BR brass. I'v heard good things about Peterson brass but have never tried it. Having said that, I'll prob try some in a few mos to load in my 22 BR. Norma also makes 6 BR brass, but I have no personal experience w/ it.

Dies: I've never anything except Remington 7 1/2.

Bullets: My barrel is a slow twist. It was built for prairie dog hunts, not deer hunting. It's shot every bullet<75 grains very accurately, usually 1/2" or less at 100 yards. I shot the 80 NBT once just for curiosity.....4.5" shotgun pattern. I've shot 58 gr and 65 gr Hornady VM, 70 gr Varmageddon, Speer TNT, Sierra BK and NBT and 75 gr Sierra and Speer HP's. I'm about to settle on the 65 gr VM and 70 gr VG as the best combination of economy, performance and accuracy. I need to shoot the 58 gr some more before deciding whether to keep them or not. Watch Midway for deeply discounted factory 2nds on the Hornady VM's.

Powders: I've hunted some Vihtavouri N135, H322 and LT-32, but mainly N133. I've not personally shot BLC2, Varget, CFE223, 4320, 748, Ramshot Xterminato or H4895. My gunsmith didn't like Varget as he said it was real dirty. RL 15 was nothing special in my gun. My project list for this spring has a note to try CFE223 in the 22 BR and 6 BR.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1379 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post