Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone load the 25/20? Login/Join 

Picture of Duffy
posted
Do you form from 32/20?
Cast or jacketed and weight?
Powders?
Best dies for forming & loading?
Is it true that 25/20 brass is thicker than 32/20?

Friend of mine acquired a lever action from grandpa and would like to enjoy it. I’ve been reading up on it some to help him out with it. So far have heard brass is delicate & to take time with re-forming brass. Just looking for any tips from the always reliable sources here.

------------------------------

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
i've been shooting a couple of contenders in 25/20 for several years now...have a 9" tapered contour MGM conetnder barrel i topped with a 1X Burris that i do some plinking with. the other is a 20" SSK tapered contour contender carbine barrel, wearing a 1.75-6x compact.

for a while, i also had a 21" tapered TC custom shop contender carbine, also with a 1.75-6x.

i've had pretty good luck with Lil Gun, 4227, and 1680, with 75 grain bullets. I do shoot some cast now & then, mainly in the 9" barrel as plinking load, those are 85 grain cast by Missouri Cast Bullets. The Rem 86gr soft point shot great, but R-P dropped those , and about all of their component bullets in fact.

i'll look up the data, i also had a light hunting load with VV-N320 using 75 grain bullets that was my "slightly-more-than-22magnum-power" loads for smacking squirrels and stuff.

The speer 75gr FN has been my most used bullets, mostly because 10 years ago or so i bought a crate of 7000pcs at a good price....i shot most of those up in various .257-bore rifles, for both hunting & fire-forming loads, and have since been shooting the Hornady V-Max a fair bit.

here's a link to about as much 25/20 loads as you'd ever want:

http://www.marlinowners.com/fo...25-20-reloaders.html

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
almost forgot, i necked down some starline 32/20 brasss, had no issues, but i did anneal 'em first. Most of my brass is older WW and RP cases i got a long time ago.

i kinda remember hearing hornady was thinking about a run of 25/20 brass, dunno if they ever did.

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
My current 25/20 is a 11 1/2" MGM SS barrel threaded for a can and throated for 100 grain bullets, I shoot them subsonic with the can. I also shoot 75Vmaxes using 1680 powder and have taken several deer with this bullet using a T/C 10" barrel, all deer taken with this bullet have been one shot kills the farthest one has run was right at 25 yards, but I made sure to place the bullets in the kill zone on every shot. Those Vmaxes really worked well for deer at the velocities the 25/20 is capable of.

I have a good supply of 25/20 brass and some is over 25 years old and still going good. I have also necked down 32/20 brass just to see how well it would work and I had no problems with it at all.

You will like the 25/20 its a fun caliber to shoot and I have even taken some squirrels and a few ground hogs with it as well and one turkey.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10314 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
H4227/86 grain Remington bullet. Classic load that shoot well in many 25/20's

Posts: 3540 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just got an MGM barrel in 25-20 (15.875" bull). Started it using the loads I have used in my Savage 23 in the same caliber. 12 grains of 1680 and the old favorite Lyman 257420 with a gas check and the gun shoots ragged holes at 50 yards.

I too like the Hornady 75 grain Vmax and have gotten fantastic groupings from it in my Savage, but have not tried it in my Contender yet.

Necking Starline 32-20 brass down to 25-20 is a no brainer. Just do it in 2 steps, the first with the seater die and the second with the sizing die.

Chris

Posts: 81 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: January 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
Using new brass I’ve had good luck with running the cases straight into the sizing die, 99% success rate. I do use Imperial sizing wax.

I have two .25-20s currently, a Marlin 1894 and a BF pistol. The BF shoots well under moa with the Sierra 75HP and Speer 87TNTs. The Marlin likes the discontinued Speer 75FNs.

Posts: 763 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post