Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 LC loads for deer from Henry Rifle Login/Join 

Picture of Greygrouse
posted
Lads,
Having some consternation getting a good load for deer hunting this fall. Between my "buddy" Art Ritis and some upcoming cataract surgery I find I need a lighter rifle/load combo to reduce recoil.
Loads I've shot in my Henry (250gr Hornady XTP w/13.0gr Blue Dot, WW LPP's) have given me inconsistent accuracy. Recoil is acceptable, I think.
I won't be taking shots over 75yds, maybe less, scoped from a steady rest.
I'm having a problem finding loads for a suitable copper/lead HP bullet around 200 or so grains - hoping for more speed and terminal performance.
Can't seem to find the right recipe in the reloading manuals I've checked, so looking to you good folks for advice.
I've got time to do some reloading, so a variety of loads will give me lots of play time.
Alternate guns are 243's and TC 44mag pistol - rough on the hand.

Thanks,
Mike

----------------------------
World's Foremost Authority

Posts: 743 | Location: Michigan's Upper Peninsula | Registered: February 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I used a uberti lever gun for a bit in 45 colt. I did unique loads with a 185 Sierra and dumped a few deer under 50 yards

Posts: 3632 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm

Sort through that.

I know a lot of folks like blue dot. I tried it early on when I started moving towards cast. My findings with it, it is very position sensitive.
If you have any of those loads left try this. When a cartridge is in the chamber, raise the muzzle and bump the fore end with the heel of your hand. Then easy back down on to the rest and let one fly. If the powder charge is forward in the case they will strike drastically low.
YMMV

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Hopefully mellonhead or 6shot we'll see this and reply. I'm sure the two of them have shot about every combination known to man in the 45 Colt...

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I use the same load in my Marlin lever gun as I do in my revolvers. My favorite all time 45 Colt powder is HS6. I load 13 grains of HS6 under a 265 grain LFN style cast bullet. I get 1300 fps with the 20” barrel on my Marlin. It is very accurate and I have taken a bunch of deer with it from 30-125 yards.

Toby
-----------------------
Life begins at 45 caliber!

Posts: 1080 | Location: NWPA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What's a good load for a 270 saa bullet??

Aaron

Posts: 2629 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I really like the same 13 grains of HS6 under the 270 SAA. I shot that load for years until I dumbed into this 260 grain LFN. It only slightly edges the SAA bullet for accuracy. I really like the SAA bullet. I shot my biggest buck to date with it. Used the 270 SAA over 13 gr of HS6. Used a S&W model 25-9 with a 4” barrel. Shot was 65 yards hard quartering away. The bullet broke the right rear leg and broke the left front exiting.

All that from a 275 gr. lead bullet going 960 fps.

Toby
-----------------------

Posts: 1080 | Location: NWPA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that the Marlin really likes that load also.

Toby
-----------------------