Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading Information, Data & Equipment    Buyer Beware: Midway 25 Cal Factory Second Bullets, Updated w/ MW Response

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buyer Beware: Midway 25 Cal Factory Second Bullets, Updated w/ MW Response Login/Join 

posted
Hey guys,
I ordered some 257 cal plastic tipped 70 gr factory second bullets from Midway. These are basically Sierra Ballistic King bullets sold undbranded by Midway. MW describes them thusly: "For majority of the bullets being offered, this blemish is a slight discoloration in the jacket or the bullets were run during press set-up." My order of #100 bullets actually has #67 that have a plastic tip (and weigh 70 gr), whereas #39 have a hollow point (and weigh 63.7 gr). Confused There were no loose plastic tips in the shipping bag. I ordered the same bullet 3 wks ago. On their arrival I took one out and compared it to the Sierra 70 BK. They had the same dimensions. Today I looked at the first order again and found out 12 of those bullets were HP and #94 had plastic tips. I've sent an email to MW. I'm sure they'll make it right, but thought I'd give y'all a heads in the meantime. A plastic tip bullet w/o a plastic tip is NOT simply blemished bullet; it's an entirely different HP bullet. I'll update after I've heard from MW.

Left---->right. 70 gr Blitz King, MW factory second bullet (HP), MW factory second w/ plastic tip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1379 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
After having shot thousands of Sierra blems, that is why they are a blem. I have gotten the same thing in years past from Sierra seconds. I have also gotten bullets with multiple plastic tips crammed into the nose.

You want frustration? I had a buddy pick me up some BK’s a few years back 6mm and 22’s. When he dropped them off I thought the sacks were pretty full as they sell them by the pound. I had more plastic tips and empty jackets than anything.

And for those of you buying seconds, don’t be surprised to find an odd caliber in the mix either.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it goes with Midway.

------------------------------

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
That's exactly why I go with Nosler seconds/blem. You get what they say. I never could tell a second from a first. Lsast year when I toured Nosler, I asked what makes a blem. They said they have 4 older ladies that's worked there forever checking the bullets. If they say a bullet doesn't "look right" they throw it in the blem pile.
To this day I cannot tell the difference between a Nosler blem and 1st. The last 4 years I've shot and hunted 100% with blems. You can see from my posts that nothing has suffered and why 95% of the bullets I use are Noslers. Evan their seconds are top quality.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's exactly why I go with Nosler seconds/blem. You get what they say. I never could tell a second from a first. Lsast year when I toured Nosler, I asked what makes a blem. They said they have 4 older ladies that's worked there forever checking the bullets. If they say a bullet doesn't "look right" they throw it in the blem pile. To this day I cannot tell the difference between a Nosler blem and 1st. The last 4 years I've shot and hunted 100% with blems. You can see from my posts that nothing has suffered and why 95% of the bullets I use are Noslers. Evan their seconds are top quality.

I've bought a lot of 2nd's from Nosler and couldn't tell any differences, and at the prices that they're sold at I try to buy what I can afford, a lot of times you find bullets you can't find anywhere else also (.243 90 gr Accubonds)

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3488 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Just scared me away from ordering some. Wonder if this is just limited to the tipped bullets, or just Sierra tipped bullets, or? Not worth the risk anymore I fear.

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6431 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Have ordered and shot a pile of the Nosler seconds too, and all have performed just fine. Have had some that had a little discoloration or staining and some 7mm 140g that the ojives were different on. Just sorted them with a bullet seating oal gauge and was good to go. I did have one without a tip once but that was in a box of first's.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I placed an order for Nosler 2nds yesterday. After placing it I realized that I may not even be able to use some of them due to twist rate of my barrel. Oh well, I'll try them and if needed trade them or I could always buy a new barrel so I can shoot them if needed. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. laugh

Bruce

Posts: 950 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have bought and shot thousands of Midway blems and not any trouble from any of them. There seems to be a glitch somewhere. this is not representative of my experience with this product.

Posts: 759 | Location: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: August 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Midway and I have had some email correspondence. I'll be sending back the box of bullets back for a refund. Bottom line: one should expect for some Sierra plastic tip factory seconds bullets to not have have plastic tips; there's no standard as to how many of the bullets will not have plastic tips. Like many of you, I've bought an untold number of factory seconds through the years but have never encountered faulty bullets like these. Interestingly, in the same order I bought 3 boxes of Hornady 65 gr 6mm plastic tip seconds and all the bullets had plastic tips.

Here are two excerpts from Midway's responses:
#1 "Thank you for your email regarding your recent order. I apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your products. It is not uncommon to have mix tips in Factory Seconds. That is why they are labeled as such and discount as they are. However, please feel free to return them if you are unhappy with them..."

#2 "Thank you for your recent email regarding the factory second bullets your ordered. I do apologize that the bullets you received were missing more of the plastic tips than you had expected. However, there is no standard number for acceptable missing tips. Please return those bullets if you wish and I do apologize for the inconvenience of this matter..."

It looks like the standard for Sierra plastic tip factory bullets has really changed recently. Look at the two reviews on the Sierra plastic tip 20 cal 39 gr bullets. Some of the bullets these guys got were even worse off than mine. Looks like I won't be buying anymore Sierra factory seconds from Midway in the future.

Posts: 1379 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
There seems to be a glitch somewhere. this is not representative of my experience with this product.

It looks like the glitch is w/ Sierra factory seconds. The Hornady factory seconds were fine.