Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for 8x56 rs Hungarian?? Login/Join 

Picture of Greygrouse
posted
Lads,
Picked up an Hungarian carbine in this caliber. bought some Lee dies and have some once-fired brass.
Thought regular 8mm bullets would work - NOPE. Found out the proper bullet is 0.329" instead of 0.323".
Just hoping to shoot it for fun, but need a source for the bullets - tried looking in all my usual sources but no luck.
The gun is in pretty good shape, bore looks not unlike my face in high school!!
Hey... I still got dates, so I'm hoping for at least mediocre accuracy!!!!
Any sources for bullets?? Either lead or copper would be fine.
Thanks,
Mike

----------------------------
World's Foremost Authority

Posts: 743 | Location: Michigan's Upper Peninsula | Registered: February 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Been a while since I looked the Steyrs over. Some guys were shooting .330 cast or bigger if the bores were ok to fair. Seems some were wrapping 8mm with Teflon tape with some success.
I think Grafs had some .330 jackets bullets made up to go with the brass.

Good luck. They are really neat old rifles, but the corrosive ammo sure did them in. I had the chance to dig through about 30 of these. All were in cosmoline, found in the back of a warehouse. I cleaned them all for the chance to find a shooter grade. A lot of time and work, not a decent barrel in the mix I was going to fool with.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Greygrouse
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much!!
Again, this is just a "project" gun, something to have fun with. And they are kinda cool old guns.
Wrapping 8mm's w/Teflon seems like an interesting project, and now I have a LOT of 8mm's. Hmmmm, might have to buy another rifle to shoot all those bullets... pity!!!
Thanks again,
Mike

----------------------------
World's Foremost Authority

Posts: 743 | Location: Michigan's Upper Peninsula | Registered: February 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Seems like guys were even using cast bullets intended for .338’s.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post