Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vihtavuori N130 Has Changed Login/Join 

posted
Hey guys,

My preferred powder in my XP-100 chambered in 22 BR has been N130 for about 25 years. Although I’ve shot close to a dozen other powders in it, I always come back to N130. Although N130 has given me an excellent combination of muzzle velocity and accuracy, what has separated it from other powders has been the fact it produces noticeably less muzzle flash/blast than all others. The biggest draw drawback has been availability as sometimes it just can’t be found. When I last found it, I bought 6# from the same lot number (made in 2011). I just started using powder from that purchase. Prior to that I used a 2# keg that was made in approximately 2005 or so. Here’s my question: I’ve noticed the “new” powder seems to have more muzzle flash/blast than did the “old” powder. This afternoon I shot a few rounds from both the “new” and “old.” The new powder is definitely different. It even had more muzzle blast/flash than the N133 loads I shot in my 6 BR., which is usually not the case. Has anyone else noticed that specifically w/ N130 or some other powder in general? Of course, even if the specifications were changed on my “new” powder, it’s possible they could’ve changed again in the past 8 years. I’ve got nearly 5# of N130 to use up, after which I may find myself again having a power audition. There are probably a lot of other powders w/ as much, or less, muzzle flash/blast than my current supply of N130.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1379 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Is accuracy and vel the same as the old batch? Maybe contact VV and see if there was a problem with the flash suppressant or if they changed anything.

------------------------------

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Accuracy is the same. I haven't chronographed the latest lot. I thought about contacting Vihtavuori.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1379 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post