Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Primers??? Login/Join 

posted
Ok I have been reloading for probably 25 years or better but not to the volume/extent that some of you do and I’ve never had this issue. While checking the fired 25 creed brass with the shoulder bump gage I picked up a new case out of the load block to see how much shorter the shoulder length was vs. the fired cases. The case had already been primed so as an afterthought I checked the center of the primer against the case head and found that the primers are about .002"-.0025" high. I know that in an automatic this could be a problem but in an xp100 is there any real problem that this could cause either safety wise or accuracy wise. I don't have a primer pocket uniformer but plan to pick one up maybe tomorrow. Any experience/advice you have with this would be welcomed.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BruceP,

Posts: 950 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Did you CLEAN the primer pockets. Is this pistol brass reprimed with
RIFLE primers. Do you have any extra cases that you CAN measure the pocket depth AND the primer height. Factories COMPtines make a oops that gets out the door. The hole in the case MIGHT BE shallow. A fellow that shot A LOT of sillywets tried to seat some HIGH primers after they were in LOADED CASES. After punching 25 or 30 in flush with case, he had a discharge! Luckily Joe was in the garage

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhalcott:
Did you CLEAN the primer pockets. Is this pistol brass reprimed with
RIFLE primers. Do you have any extra cases that you CAN measure the pocket depth AND the primer height. Factories COMPtines make a oops that gets out the door. The hole in the case MIGHT BE shallow. A fellow that shot A LOT of sillywets tried to seat some HIGH primers after they were in LOADED CASES. After punching 25 or 30 in flush with case, he had a discharge! Luckily Joe was in the garage

This is brand new Starline 6.5 Creedmoor small primer brass. I haven't measured the primers in Lapua brass (some of the starline was already primed) or a different primer yet. Also I haven't thought of measuring the primer hight. I use the Lee hand primer and am use to the feel when it seats but I did try and reseat anyway, still .002" high.

Bruce

Posts: 950 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
In an xp it's not really a safety issue as even slamming the bolt closed on one is unlikely to cause one to ignite, although, theoretically it's possible.

It can definitely make a difference in accuracy, as has been proven by bench ready shooters. The whole reason they uniform their primer pockets.

Obviously, the pockets are very tight being new brass. If you have press mounted priming capability, I'd very carefully attempt to completely seat them with it. Wink

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
You may also want to try another lot of primers. I have a lot that many won't seat flush even with the pockets uniformed. I thought it was the pockets because it was often but not every time. I went to the goodie bin and retrieved another lot of the same primers and had no issues with any of them.

Dave

Posts: 408 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Left Hand Dave:
You may also want to try another lot of primers. I have a lot that many won't seat flush even with the pockets uniformed. I thought it was the pockets because it was often but not every time. I went to the goodie bin and retrieved another lot of the same primers and had no issues with any of them.

Dave

I don't have another lot of the CCI 450's but since I'm still working on loads I planed on trying another primer anyway. I also still have the Lapua brass to check too. I have fired a few of the Lapua cases I just haven't measured the primers.

I also picked up a pocket uniformer today and tried it on a few cases so we'll check those too.

Bruce

Bruce

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
I had some Norma brass once that the corners of the pockets had a large radius to them & did the same thing. Pocket uniformer just took that out & didn’t deepen the pockets any and that did the trick. I did once have a batch of CCI 400’s that were too large in diameter so it could be possible that yours could be off. I would double check that before messing up a good batch of brass. 2cents

------------------------------

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Try seating by hand priming tool, if you were using your priming arm mounted on your press, it could be worn "in" as mine was. 25 years can wear 'in' that part. Buy a new one.

Posts: 40 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: June 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry I thought I had updated this thread. The Lapua brass was fine so I cut the primer pockets on the starline brass. Some it hardly touched and some it cut a good amount.

Bruce