Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loaded 358 JDJ Round Will Not Chamber Login/Join 

posted
I've made it to the point where today I dropped my first power charge and seated a 220 grain Speer Flat Point into the case. I began by seating the bullet to the bottom of the neck, as recommended. The round would not chamber. I slowly seated it deeper and deeper with no effect. The round sticks out of the chamber maybe an 1\8" to 1\4". I found I could push the round in a tad further with my finger, but then had to force extraction. I don't see rifling marks on the bullet. BTW, I'm using new Starline 444 Marlin brass and Hornady dies supplied by SSK.

I'm at a loss. The formed cases alone fit perfectly and the action closed easily. The formed case necks measure .379 diameter, but when I seat a 220 gr. Speer FP bullet, the neck expands to .384-.385. This seems to be just a hair too large to fit. If I had to guess, I'd say seating the bullet into the case expanded the neck enough to keep it from chambering fully.

Could it be that the Starline brass is too thick for the SSK chamber or that SSK cut the chamber just a hair too tight in the neck? I did send an email to JD as I'm totally flustered at this point. Other than this, the case forming (which is new to me) went very well. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Posts: 25 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: March 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I had the same problem twice-one in Contender, one in Encore.
Both times it was a bent extractor. I didn't know this. Sent one to SSK, one to Bullberry. New extractors fixed the problem. I couldn't tell anything was wrong by looking with my old eyes. Maybe that's it. Worth checking out.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Size and trim the case to specs. Then put the case into your pistol and see if it Chambers. If it does ok. If it does not then the shoulder may need to be bumped back to seat into the chamber. If a loaded round does not chamber then pull the bullet and try again with the bullet pulled. If the case does not chamber once the bullet is pull then resize it and try again. If this works then the case neck may be to thick and needs to be turned to thin it. Hope this helps.

Does JD recommend a specific brand of brass? Different manufactures have different wall thickness. I can reform Rem 30-30 brass every time to 30 Herrett with no issues. Try Hornady or any other brand an I have to outside trimcase necks every time.

Posts: 158 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info gents! I'm leaning towards the chamber neck being cut too tight, but wondering about the extractor being bent as well. I don't believe JD recommends a particular brass, but I could be wrong. It's slim pickings for 444 Marlin brass. It's a drag at this point as I was ready to start working up to one of the Loads SSK sent and prepare to use it this deer season. Hopefully I can get it figured out and resolved quickly. I imagine I'll receive a response from SSK tomorrow and hopefully it'll shed some more light on the problem. Thanks again.

Posts: 25 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: March 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of straight8
posted Hide Post
Never had nay trouble with JDJ rounds with Remington brass, thought the 8mm JDJ I once had I always thought had a tight neck. This is not mine the the price seems reasonable.
https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/...arlin-brass-new.html

------------------------------
XP's: 17FB, 221, 223, 250AI, 7mm/08, 308 Imp, 358, 350, 375/350, 416/350, 458X2"
Striker: 20 Vartarg
Contender: 22LR, 7/30 JDJ, 375 JDJ, 500 HWP
Encore: 7mm/08, 300 BO, 30/06, 375 JDJ, 375 H&H, 44 Mag, 454, 480, 450 Alaskan, 500 LB
Wheelguns: 375 SuperMag
Semi: 45acp, 460 Rowland
CVA50cal BP

Posts: 1047 | Location: "Y" City, Arkansas | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If possible, could someone measure the neck outside diameter of one of their loaded 358 JDJ rounds? I'll compare that to mine . Thanks!

posted Hide Post
M fired Rem. case measures .386.5 -387 .A sized case measures .378 and a case with a .358 bullet seated to bottom of neck measures .381-381.5. Only have Rem cases. thumbup

Posts: 325 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I spoke to Brian at SSK and he said their reamer is good and it is not the chamber. He suspects the Starline brass and said it works with 375 JDJ, but will NOT work with 309 JDJ. He said they haven't tried it with 358 JDJ yet, so I might be in uncharted waters. He said I could send it back, but that'll cost me $20 for postage. I'm trying to see if I can get a loaded round from someone local to me to check. If it works in one SSK cut chamber, but not mine, then I know it's the chamber. Conversely, It could show pretty quickly that Starline Brass is not going to work for JDJ cartridges below .375, which can help others save time and money by not making the mistake I made. Thanks for all the info gents!

posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have what amounts to a tight neck chamber when using the Starline brass. If that turns out to be the case and you want to continue using the excellent quality Starline brass, a relatively simple fix would be to have SSK open the neck slightly. I had MGM do that for me on a 221 FB barrel of theirs that I picked up that had a tight neck. Problem solved, no neck turning, happy camper! Smile Just an idea.

John

Posts: 1235 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: June 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all your help! I met up with a buddy who has an SSK made 358 JDJ barrel yesterday afternoon. He was kind enough to let me try his ammo and he tried mine. His rounds, which fit his SSK barrel, will NOT fit my SSK chambered barrel. My loaded round fits his barrel just fine. I'm sending the barrel back to SSK tomorrow so they can figure it out. My friend and I were left with no doubt that my chamber is the culprit. Exactly what is wrong with it, we can't say with certainty, but it seems to be the neck. It has nothing to do with the bullet or how it's seated and it's not related to the case body or rim. Thanks again for the help everyone. I'll update y'all once I know something for sure.

posted Hide Post
Send a round in with the barrel if you can.

Posts: 706 | Location: Ga. | Registered: January 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ramon, I sent three dummy rounds just to be safe. Good advice though. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
They should be able to fix it. The 358 JDJ is awesome. I have had one for years.

Posts: 706 | Location: Ga. | Registered: January 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with my 338 JDJ. After a few reloads with Rem brass I started noticing that they were hard to chamber and accuracy went to pot. Looking at the neck I saw that it was rubbing on one side and if you looked close while turning the loaded case you could see a bulge where it was thicker on one side than the other. Actually the bullet bulged to the thinner side. Don't know if it happened while forming or if the brass was that way from new. Took my neck turner and shaved off just enough to get rid of the high spot, made the neck concentric and everything is fine.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've ruled out my rounds being the problem at this point and conformed my chamber and an older SSK chamber have different specs. My rounds fit the older chamber and the rounds for the older chamber don't fit mine. SSK should receive the barrel today or Monday, so hopefully I'll hear something soon. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I spoke to SSK today and got the answer. It's an Armor Alloy barrel. T/C plated those barrels inside and out. So, when SSK cut the chamber, it peeled/was rough in a small area where the plating was removed during the reaming. Brian said that's unusual, but can happen. That kept my rounds from chambering fully. He is going to polish the throat to smooth that transition area down a bit. Hopefully I'll have it next week and can get to load development done. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
T/C plated the inside of the barrel?

I did not know they did that on armor alloy barrels.

Posts: 754 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I got my barrel back today. My loaded rounds still won't fit into the chamber. A dummy round they sent using Rem. brass does fit. There was no note, letter, or explanation with the barrel. I can only assume they sent the Rem round to show me it was my brass, even though I was told on the phone the throat was peeling plating. Also, remember my loaded rounds fit perfectly in another owner's SSK barrel and his Rem rounds would NOT fit my chamber. If Starline brass was the problem, why does it work fine in another SSK chamber? At least one of their past chambers is different than this new chamber and that is without question.

I don't know exactly what the deal is but to say I'm irritated is an understatement. What do they expect me to do now? Buy a bunch of Rem brass that may or may not work in the barrel? They didn't offer me a lick of guidance. I had a perfectly good shooting .35 Rem. barrel, which isn't easy to find, and blew $500 to turn it into a mystery barrel promising days or weeks of frustration.

posted Hide Post
Do you know anyone near to you that may have a neck turning tool, and a .358" mandrel?

You could just neck turn your brass and be done with it?

Posts: 754 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Have you tried measuring the dummy cartridge and comparing it to your rounds to see where/what the difference is.

Bruce

Posts: 950 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDK:
Ramon, I sent three dummy rounds just to be safe. Good advice though. Thanks!

Did they send your 3 dummy rounds back?
If so do they fit?

I used Remington to form my 358JDJ and they measure just under .382 and they chamber fine in my gun. You may have to neck turn your Starline brass to get it to fit.

Sorry you have to deal with the hassle. The 358JDJ is a awesome round and well worth the extra work to get it to work properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3523 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have successfully loaded, chambered, and fired 358 JDJ rounds in my barrel! RP brass works perfectly and I shot some work-up loads yesterday. I worked up to one of the non-maximum loads SSK sent me using the Speer 220 FP and AA2520. It should give me somewhere between 2200-2300 FPS, but I have no chronograph, so I'm just going by SSK's numbers.

From the starting load to the load I wanted, I saw zero change in the primer and every round unlocked easily and dropped right out of the chamber. All of the rounds, which was 3 to 4 of each powder charge, shot into an inch or less at 25 yards with me using a pretty poor rest and a sloppy 2.5" circle I drew with a marker as a target. I am going to get to work loading more rounds and dialing them in now!

A word on recoil. This round has it in spades! The brake keeps the muzzle down and drives the gun back. It isn't intolerable by any means for anyone not recoil sensitive, but it gets your attention. I realized that I cannot use my support hand to wrap around my strong hand in usual fashion. The darned trigger guard drives right into my left index finger with gusto. That happens to be a really bad arthritic finger. I'm going to dig out my shooting gloves for range work, but while hunting I won't even notice it. I have wrist problems and I am glad to see the lack of muzzle rise kept me from feeling any discomfort in them. A buddy's 500 S&W revolver (6" maybe) caused me enough discomfort to tell me not to get one of those!

The noise didn't seem bad to me at all while using plugs and muffs, certainly not as bad as an 11 inch .223. I have very high hopes for this barrel and have no regrets with the project. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straight8:
Never had nay trouble with JDJ rounds with Remington brass, thought the 8mm JDJ I once had I always thought had a tight neck. This is not mine the the price seems reasonable.
https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/...arlin-brass-new.html

I bought 100 cases of RP brass from this guy and the price was the best I could find by far. Thanks for the link!

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Great! Try letting your first couple fingers on your offhand ride alongside the trigger guard rather than wrapping.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
A word on recoil. This round has it in spades!

Ain't it the truth!!!

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3316 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Glad you got it going. The 358 is a hammer. It has done well on the deer and hogs i have shot with mine.

posted Hide Post
I loaded up some more rounds and sighted it in today. Using a pretty solid rest, this load shoots three rounds into 1.5” at 100 yards, with two rounds Touching. I’m pretty satisfied with those groups.

I have tweaked my grip and have it as comfortable as possible. The weak hand index and middle finger on the lever works great. I just cradle the action with that hand. If I try to stiff arm my strong hand, it makes the pain worse in my palm, so I just relax a little and let the gun come back. It’s going to come back anyway! At the shot, the gun slides back from my support hand a few inches and my arm absorbs a lot of the recoil as it moves. It still smacks my palm pretty bad, but there is no free ride. 220 grains at 2200+ FPS in a pistol as light as a Contender is going to make things move.

I’m ready to hunt now. It is likely I’ll not shoot anything larger than a doe this deer season and I’m curious how the big Speer slug will behave. Maybe later on I’ll get a shot at a hog. Take care.

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it going! Good luck on the hunt!

Rusty
—————————
“Dyin ain’t much of a livin”
Josey Wales

Posts: 448 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post