Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

200gr RN in 357 max Login/Join 

posted
Is anyone shooting the Sierra 200gr RN in a rifle length 357 maximum? I am curious to hear about performance.

Posts: 82 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
Not the 200 grain round nose but we have had good luck with the 200 grain flex tip and 21.5 grains of Lil’Gun crimped in the cannelure using Fed match primers. One barrel is a 26” .358 bore Encore barrel that pushes them along about 2150fps. It’s taken deer from about 30yds to 130 yards with great performance. It’s my buddies and I think between him and his two daughters they have taken 5 or 6 deer with it. The other one is a 20” Contender barrel with a .357 bore. It belongs to another buddy. We used the same loads I loaded up for the Encore and it pushed them out at 2100 FPS. He just got back from a pig hunt where he took one at about 100 yds and two more around 40 yds and they didn’t go anywhere. Both guns shoot them around .75 inch 3 shot groups at 100. I tried to attach photos but that is way over my technological skill level which really doesn’t amount to much. If anyone else wants to giv it a try I can send them to you.

Dave

Posts: 408 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Dave,

Thanks for the info. I do have some of the 200gr FTX and will have to give them a try.

Posts: 82 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A few things I should add. If you use your regular seater stem in your .357 dies you can squash the bullet tip on the Flex-Tip. If you use Hornsby dies they make a seater stem you can buy just for the Flex-Tips I think they are less than $9. I use the seater die out of an older set of RCBS dies that has the 1/4” seater stem and replace the stem with one out of a .35 Remington. I also use one die to seat the bullet and another one with the stem removed to crimp. I think seating and crimping in separate steps makes for a better loaded round.

Dave

Posts: 408 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Dave,

I was thinking of not crimping. I have never crimped any of my reloads shot out of single shot. Do you think it would make a big difference?

posted Hide Post
I would try both crimp and no crimp and see how they shoot for you. If you look on the MGM website where they have their velocity test and look at the 357 Max they did not crimp. Every time I have loaded for a straight wall case and didn't crimp, the accuracy was not as good and the loads were not as uniform. At the same time I constantly see where people load straight wall rounds with no crimp and the bullet seated out farther with good results. I don't know if is something I do wrong when not crimping or what. I do still try both ways when I am working up a load though just in case Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I have looked at the MGM website for their load data. Again I appreciate help.

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with Lil Gun and the 200 gr. Sierra RN bullet. I always crimp my bullets in straight wall cases. With single shot guns, use enough crimp to ensure the bullet is held snug in the case. I think crimping also makes the loads burn more consistently. Many times we use a tad slower burning powder with heavy bullets in the MAX. The crimp helps achieve a more even powder burn. Besides crimping everything eliminates my having to keep separate loads for my RPM single shot pistol and my Seville revolver.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sawfish,

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3316 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post