Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading Information, Data & Equipment    25 Bullberry in a Contender rifle, Reloading questions

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 Bullberry in a Contender rifle, Reloading questions Login/Join 

posted
I bought the barrel a while back from a member here on the form. 21 inch rifle barrel.It really does shoot any of the bullets that I have tried. One of my most accurate barrels after Bullberry opened up the neck! A great company that still provides customer service!! Thought I would add that comment. For this years hunting season I settled on the 85 Gr. Nosler ballistic tip and Varget as the powder. This combination performed as I thought it would on game. My question is does anyone use a 70 to 80 grain bullet for deer in this caliber? If so what is the bullet and powder combination? I would like to pick up some speed and extend the range.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 48 | Location: Harrisonburg | Registered: January 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ttred1956
posted Hide Post
Had one a couple of years ago and was amazed at how accurate it was. Never used it to hunt with but it was a lot more accurate than I am. Finally settled on a 6.5 BB IMP. but the 25 BB is one of the barrels I really regret selling. Shoot the sub calibers more nowadays than the bigger ones. Bobby T (Bobby Tomek) & Gerald (FyrepwerX) have a lot more experience in game use of the 30/30 based wildcats. Maybe they will chime in. You will love it for sure
Safe shooting
Merry Christmas
Doug

------------------------------
Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better

Posts: 1619 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: June 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Never used this case, but did about a dozen deer years ago with a 6mm/.223 Contender with 70 gr. BTs and 85 gr. Sierra HPBTs. Not much else was available in those days.
I recovered all deer, but it wasn't pretty. Double shoulder shots with the BT showed about 1 1/2" of internal damage on the on side hit, with much less on the off side with no total penetration.
The Sierra bullet wasn't going fast enough to cause much damage, but I did get complete penetration. Those deer ran a ways.
I did load the BT in a friends daughter's .243 rifle (recoil shy). I coached and watched her drop 2 deer at 140 and 190 yds. with high shoulder shots. No exits with either and 2" of internal damage. Bullets disintegrated.
So the light weights will work, but a better bullet would be the 6mm 85 gr. NPT. I took 2 deer at 400ys., one at 120 or so, and a 55# javelin at 177 yds. this year with my 6mm AI Encore. I was impressed with these kills.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses gentlemen. Not a lot of info out there on the 25 Bullberry. Bullberry does provide data on there site, but the info. is dated. I found a custom bullet manufactured by Maker while searching the net. A 75 grain tipped copper bullet similar to Barnes I am guessing. Sent an email to the company for some additional information. Might fit the criteria that I am looking for. The down side is the cost for a box of 50. Not really if they do as I want..Once I get a load worked up it will be for hunting only. I hope the specifications for the bullet meets what I am looking for. Most likely will be next year before I receive a response from the company.
WV Hitman // I have Two 6TCU Contender barrels both are custom. One of my many favorite TC rounds. The pistol has a 15inch barrel and a rifle came with an 18 inch barrel. Both were second hand buys. I have been lucky with my purchases so far. For the pistol I use the Sierra 80 grain SSPB ( no longer manufactured) and a load of V135. A lethal combo on deer with ranges out to 300 yards. For the rifle ( not the best twist 1 in 12) I use 8208 and the Speer 85 grain bullet. The Speer 85 grain is a gem for this setup. The 80 grain SSPB with Benchmark is also a very good combo.
Happy Holidays!!

Posts: 48 | Location: Harrisonburg | Registered: January 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I haven't loaded or shot the 25 BB, but I have shot/loaded for several quarter bores, including a standard Roberts, and an AI Roberts.

As far as light weight .257 bullets, I've played around with the 75 gr Vmax on varmints, the now discontinued 87 gr Hornady, and the 85 gr (?) hot core Speer.

The Vmax was very accurate, but opens very fast, at least at Roberts velocity, which you would expect from a varmint bullet. Big entrance and exit holes on 'yotes if you're pelting, this is not your bullet. Poor choice on deer imo, but I never shot it at a deer.

The 87 gr Hornady was a "big game" constructed bullet. Good for deer, and was accurate in my Roberts and AI Roberts. Too bad it's no longer made.

I never got the Speer to shoot good for me out of either Roberts or AI, so gave up on that bullet.

The lightest 257 bullet I load now is the 100 gr Nosler BT, which goes in my daughter's Roberts. Shoots accurately, and performance on deer-weight game is assured.

For my little 6mm's, 6 TCU and 6x47 (222 Rem mag), I've never found a bullet that shoots as good as the old Hornady 80 gr SSP. I have a small horde of those, but I sure wish Hornady would bring those back. Then I would be more inclined to shoot those barrels more often.

Posts: 754 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 85 grain BT you are currently using is going to be hard to beat, but there is one 80 grainer that I do recommend: the Barnes 80 grain TTSX. I generally shy away from most of the conventional Barnes bullets due to minimal expansion in Contender rounds, but this is one of the exceptions. I used it in a 23" 25-35 with superb results, including taking two hogs with a single shot and getting complete penetration on both.

You should be able to run it into the 2900 fps range, which I did using LVR. At that speed, you'll get very nice expansion on soft tissue out to 225+ yards, and while the energy levels are getting a little low, I'd have no issue using it on a deer out to 250 simply due to how predictably well that bullet performs.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4065 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bobby T. Thank you for the information on the 80 grain Barnes bullets. I have used the Barnes bullets in the past with great results in high velocity cartridges. I did not think that the 25 Bullberry cold drive tha Barnes bullet fast enough for expansion past the 100 to 125 yard mark. The Nosler 85 grain Blastic Tip did a fine job at the speed I am sending the bullet down range. 2740fps. I will test the 80 grain Barnes this winter to see how it shoots. I will also try some Lever powder which I had bought to try in the Grendel. I see no reason why it will not shoot. The 25 Bullberry has shot every bullet that I have tried less than 1 inch at 100 yards if I do my part. I know it will shoot better if I had a different scope on the setup. A fixed 6X42 Leupold scope that I sent back to the custom Shop to get some modifications completed. A great hunting scope for the $$$. I may try the Maker 75 grain bullet if the specifications for expansion is around the 1600 fps. Once I receive the info I will post on this form. Thanks agin for all of the responses. T24

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
No problem. I ran at least a full box of the .25 cal/80 Barnes into test medium before convincing myself they actually were going to work. I think my old images of those are on photo bucket, which I can no longer get into, but I took a phone picture while ago of one of the recovered bullets from the 250 yard test. It expanded to .431 at its widest point. The 200 yard recoveries weren't much different.

Many other of the Barnes offerings do not do as well as this one. I used it on hogs, coyotes and quite a few raccoons, all with very good results. Most of my shots ranged from 155 to 225 yards or thereabouts.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4065 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say that the impact speed of this particular bullet was 2227 fps (I actually shot it over a chronograph at 250 and don't rely on paper estimates, foolish as that may be ha ha!).

Its energy at that range is 881 ft,/lbs. The MV of that particular load was 2931 fps, if memory serves.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
Information updated using Leverevolution. The data provided by Hodgdon when using this powder in a 30-30 case is true. Bobby T. Thanks for the information you shared. I was able to reach 2860fps with the 85 grain Nosler BT. That is more than a 100fps increase above what I was getting with Varget. The ladder test I had decided on was .3 grains increase per load. I loaded 4 rounds in place of three while testing. I really enjoy shooting this round. Accuracy was great with each load and the last load was superb. Analyzing the data from the Oehler I am sure I can go up an additional .6 of a grain and maybe more. I should receive the 80 grain Barnes Tipped TTSX end of the coming week. One question that I have is relegated to the primer choice for the powder which is spherical. Should I look at using a magnum in place of a standard primer? I utilized RWS for the ladder test. The SD was more than what I am use to. Anyone with past experience on this powder and primer combo, please chime in. Thanks. T24

posted Hide Post
Twitch, sorry I misread your post. I wrote about 6mm bullets. A senior moment I guess.
AS far as .25 cal. bullets I have tons of experience with my .250 AI XP, very close to your Bullberry round. 85 gr. BTs have worked excellent on groundhogs over the years, having taken 993 by the end of this year, with the longest at 508 yds. and complete penetration.
For deer size game I've had fair luck with 100 BTs, 100 Horn. SPs. I've had great luck with 110 gr. ABs-did one at 417 this year.
Horn. ELDxs did great on groundhogs, but poor on deer- too soft, poor penetration, but very accurate.
85 gr. BTs were acceptable on broadside shots.
Xs are a head scratcher. Normally I love them, but in 6.5mm caliber and smaller they don't expand much and penetrate poorly on angled shots. I've recovered them and they're so small that the bullets aren't much different than FMJs. Maybe the TTSX will be better with the tip. May be worth a try.
For now, I'm a AB guy on anything angled or maybe a BT on broadside shots.
AS for powder ,I've only used WW 760 and std. CCI primers.Never any problems.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No worries WV-HM. I have read a lot of your posts over the past year. Informative and a joy to read. I believe that you and I have walked some of the same fields in Pendleton CO. WV. A little town outside of Upper Tract called Mozier. Does Dove's Country Store ring a bell? I do shoot 2 6TCU barrels / one in a pistol and one a BB custom rifle. One heck of a round IMHO!! I have become somewhat addicted to the Contender's over the past years. I have a 6.5 Grendel and a 6 AR Turbo 40 that I have used over the past 3 years, both are rifles. The Turbo is truly a game changer in the Contender with the right powder and bullet combination. The Grendel is by no means a slouch when it comes to a hunting round.
The 25 Bullberry is my current project. So far every thing that I have tried has been very accurate. I loaded the 80 grain Barnes Tipped TTSX today while it was raining. I did use Fed 215 mag primers with Leverevolution powder to verify if it is beneficial to go magnum primers with spherical powders. Maker Bullets never responded to my email so if the Barnes 80 grains does what Bobby T. stated,I will stop my search for a bullet. Providing I am able to get good accuracy with the combination of powder and bullet. I am guessing 2950FPS or there about with the Barnes bullet. I am using Nosler brass that has been fire formed in the barrel. The Ohler will provide the information that I am looking for. Bottom line is that Leverevolution powder does add 100 FPS or more to a 30-30 based cartridge. Hunting season is over and before the cleaning process is to begin, I need to do some testing. This is almost as enjoyable as hunting!! T24

posted Hide Post
T24, Mr. Dove was a patient of mine. I hunted his farms for groundhogs since the late 70s, plus deer permits then, too. AS far as I know I shot the farm out. His son had a .225 Win. rifle. I tried to beat him out his brass for my 6.5 JDJ. Never would give in. You still coming here? If you do PM me for directions. I live about 15 miles from there (Petersburg). Small world!