Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading Information, Data & Equipment    Any Powder Suggestion for 7mm-08 in Encore 15"?

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Powder Suggestion for 7mm-08 in Encore 15"? Login/Join 

posted
Hi. New to the forum here. Thanks for maintaining this wealth of info. After parting with a 7mm TCU back in the early 80s, I'm finally back into the fold with an Encore 15" 7mm-08 I just ordered. I have been using Google to find what load data I can, with mixed results. I have some Accurate 5744, and IMR 4895 powder on hand. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for a "go to" powder I should try. I will be using it for anything from longer range varmint to deer size game, as well as plinking, target, etc. Thanks in advance.

John
Rapid City

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BlkHillsBagger,

Posts: 20 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: January 10, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
I’ve found that H4895 and a 120 gr Nosler BT, as suggested by a friend, to be what my 15” 7/08 really likes.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1508 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll check into that. Thats one of the more prevalent I've seen listed.

Posts: 20 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: January 10, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
More often than not a good rifle load works as well.
I shoot the same 308 load in rifle and pistol.
Jeff

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff! I wasn't sure whether the shorter length pistol barrel would make a difference. I picked up 3 lbs of H4895 tonight. Looking forward to setting this up.

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
I shoot H4895 in my XP-100 in 7-08. Initially back in the 80's I was shooting loads from a manual that showed data for 14" pistols which were somewhat reduced from the rifle loads. When I got my chronograph and ran these loads across it I was disappointed with the velocities. They were a couple of hundred fps below what the book was saying from a 14" barrel. I started upping the charge. When I got up to the rifle charge weights the velocities were now where the should have been from a 14' barrel. Currently shooting a 140gr partition right at 2500fps. Just go with the rifle data in the event you see data listed for pistols that is different than rifles. my 2¢

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1582 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
just don't get crazy on the contender frame- encore ok

Posts: 464 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Ernie recommended H4895 to me yrs ago. I load it in my 15” 7-08 encore with great results.

I started at 40.0gr with 120gr nbt and killed a small deer at 200ish yards with that load. I then worked up to 41.5gr. Shot good all the way. I think it works well. Have shot groups 1/2”-1” @100.

Varget gets good reports but i havnt needed to try anything other than the H4895 with that bullet.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thanks for the input! I'm learning lol

Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
I've had two 15" Encore barrels and one 15" XP-100 in 7mm-08....all three liked between 40.0 and 41.0 grs. of Varget and CCI BR-2 primers under 130 gr. bullets.

Vietnam veteran.
NRA Range Safety Officer.
IHMSA # 48226.

Posts: 536 | Location: Central Okla. | Registered: December 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Ike!

posted Hide Post
I run IMR 4064 in my Striker under 140 Seirra's , H4895 also shoots good .

------------------------------
Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Posts: 619 | Location: Rockingham Co. VA. | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks! I've jumped in with both feet...I've got enough H4895 now, I have some molds and lead ingots on the way as well. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlkHillsBagger:
Thanks! I've jumped in with both feet...I've got enough H4895 now, I have some molds and lead ingots on the way as well. Mailman used to get mad when I'd get my .45 and 9mm casts from Missouri Bullet. He's not gonna like 66 lbs of ingots Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! I've jumped in with both feet...I've got enough H4895 now, I have some molds and lead ingots on the way as well. Smile

My 7-08 like the Lyman 160 Silhouette over IMR 30-31 . Ive tried H4895 with promising results , just need some more load development. I have the 150 Hunter mold from NOE , just have to cast some bullets and head to the range .
Good luck

------------------------------
Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Posts: 619 | Location: Rockingham Co. VA. | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, I have the Lee soup can mold on its way, as well as a production pot, gas checks. Ive reloaded plenty of .45 and 9mm on my Dillon Progressive, but this will be the first time doing a caliber like this. Now to figure out which press to get. FedEX is showing that my Encore is on the truck for delivery to my FFL. I'm stoked.

posted Hide Post
John, Welcome to SP. thumbup I've got a 7-08 in XP and it's become one of my go to guns for deer hunting. Unfortunately, I didn't get a deer w/ it this year. I've killed 6 whitetail deer w/ it using a number of different bullets from 120-140 grains. All my loads use either W/W or Hornady brass and Rem 9 1/2 primers. I use H4895 w/ 120 gr Nosler and 120 gr Sierra spire point bullets. I use Varget w/ 120 gr Barnes TTSX, 130 gr Speer Hot Cor and BTSP and 140 gr NBT bullets. I really like the 120 Sierra and NBT bullets so far. I think you'll like the 7-08. thumbup

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1379 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all the input. Thanks Gary. Ive got the trigger down to 3 1/2 lbs from almost 7, with a BellM spring kit. I should have everything I need to start reloading next week. In the meantime I picked up some factory ammo, hoping to shoot early this coming week. Im also looking for an XP-100.

posted Hide Post
I the 1980’s I had a 7-08 and with a 140 gr. Is safe start at 40grs. WW748 .015 settled off the lands not knowing how long your throat is.
748 was the go to powder of the early 80’s
and very flexible in bullet weights
Important. When you go up in bullet weights all
Ways go down in powder charge. Stay with the primers you start with in development
Of a load,

Posts: 3 | Location: Woodward Ok | Registered: December 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BT:
I’ve found that H4895 and a 120 gr Nosler BT, as suggested by a friend, to be what my 15” 7/08 really likes.

This...... killed a doe at 100yds deader than a hammer with this combo this year in a 15” Encore 7-08. I love this round!

Rusty
—————————
“Dyin ain’t much of a livin”
Josey Wales

Posts: 448 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've had great results with BLC2 in my 15" MGM 7-08 barrel.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged. Eight generation Texan.

Posts: 27 | Location: Paris, TX | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
RL15

Posts: 52 | Location: Western NY | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post