Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua Brass Login/Join 

posted
What is everyone’s opinion on lapua brass? Is it worth the money and do you gain any accuracy using it over and “cheaper” more standard brass such as Remington per say. I was thinking about trying some in my 700 and xp both in 223. Are they better in terms of accuracy or do they just last longer and allow you to reload them more time over the Remington (for example).

Thanks in advance

Posts: 309 | Location: Indiana | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 410shooter:
What is everyone’s opinion on lapua brass? Is it worth the money and do you gain any accuracy using it over and “cheaper” more standard brass such as Remington per say. I was thinking about trying some in my 700 and xp both in 223. Are they better in terms of accuracy or do they just last longer and allow you to reload them more time over the Remington (for example).

Thanks in advance

I like Lapua.
Longer and more consistent.
Also depends on your uses as well, when deciding on components.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://sebrests-usa.com/
http://bulletin.accurateshoote...ld-test-by-sam-hall/
------------------------------
SP's by Mac's Gunworks, H-S Precision, Holland's, Aaron Alexander, Chris Rhodes, & Nine Run Gun

Posts: 11848 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Lapua makes good stuff but don't be afraid to take a good look at Starline and Peterson. Its good stuff made in the USA by hard working american families. I see the Starline folks at Brownells and get to chat with them in person, plus Carroll Pilants son is one of the plant managers.

Jon

Posts: 1497 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I use Lapua, Horn., Norma,and Black Hills brass in my 6.5/.284, See no difference in accuracy in any of them. Lapua seems to last a little longer than the others.

Posts: 1608 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I use Lapua brass in my 6.5x284 and base 223 brass to make my 6 TCU brass from. I'm happy with the quality of each.

Posts: 756 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
We've been stocking lapua brass since we started carrying components. It's been very popular until the last year. Now, it seems that Peterson and Starline have taken that market for premium brass. We will be moving out our stock of lapua/nosler/norma and replacing, with Peterson and Starline this year. From the reports I've received, and my experience, it's just as good and a lot less expensive!

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19249 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
We've been stocking lapua brass since we started carrying components. It's been very popular until the last year. Now, it seems that Peterson and Starline have taken that market for premium brass. We will be moving out our stock of lapua/nosler/norma and replacing, with Peterson and Starline this year. From the reports I've received, and my experience, it's just as good and a lot less expensive!

In making 25 Creedmoor brass the starline brass was not as consistent as the Lapua brass as far as weight and neck thickness. I'm not saying it's bad just more variation in weight and in turning necks I could tell there was more variation in the thickness due to some cases removing a good deal of brass and some only a little bit. Even without weight sorting I have got some really good groups with the starline though. Good brass for the money.

Bruce

Posts: 950 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
What is everyone’s opinion on lapua brass? Is it worth the money and do you gain any accuracy using it over and “cheaper” more standard brass such as Remington per say.

I like Lapua brass, but I've never used Peterson nor Starline. I use Lapua in the 6 BR, 25 BR and 20 Practical. Compared to others, there's very little neck thickness variation. I check each piece of brass for case neck variation. I cull all pieces w/ >0.002" variance. Out of 100 pieces of new bras, I'll only cull 2-4 pieces of Lapua. Hornady and Nosler usually run approx #10 pieces culled. Hornady, Nosler, Rem and Winchester can't hold that standard so I cull them at >0.003". Usually 10-15/100 Hornady and Nosler are culled whereas 15-25/100 of Win and Rem are culled. I've not shot any of the Lapua enough times yet to know personally how strong it is. The original Rem 6 BR brass i bought for my 22 BR is getting old now after 8-9 loadings. I'll probably buy some Peterson brass this winter for the 22 BR.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1379 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post