Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-30 Waters Login/Join 

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted
Yesterday I bought a Bullberry’s 7-30 waters barrel on our famous auction site. I think I got a decent deal on it. It’s going to be paired with my new ssk50 contender frame when it gets here. Cool

That being said....and I know this has probably been covered...what are your favorite loads for the 7-30 waters? What kind of velocity can I expect from a 15” barrel? Etc....

Thanks in advance

Rusty
—————————
“Dyin ain’t much of a livin”
Josey Wales

Posts: 448 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Since Hornady discontinued the single shot pistol bullets I've been using their 120 grain HP over 32.0 grains of IMR 4064 and federal large pistol primers with good results in a 14" barrel. 32.0 grains is a mid weight book load. I don't know what the velocity actually is I don't have a chronograph to test. This load gives me very good accuracy 1/2" at 100 yards on my good days but always 1 moa if I don't pull one while shooting 5 shot groups. This round is just as deadly on white tails as my 7mm-08 in a 20" rifle barrel.

Good luck with your new to you barrel. Mike

Posts: 158 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty

Looks like there's no love for the ole 7-30 Waters here on this site. That is a shame because I think the 7-30 is a great round in a Contender platform. Maybe you should cut your loss and barrel and have it stubbed to a 6.5 something or other.

I think I will send mine out and get the bore opened up to .310 and shoot 200 grain Spitzers thru it. Call it a 31-30 Waters Pitzer might draw so attention to that round.LOL.

I think you will be pleased with that combination your putting together. My barrel is a factory stainless super 14 and I have to get me one of the SSK-50 frames to pair it up with.

Good luck Mike

Posts: 158 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
No biggie. I kinda have in mind what I’m going to start with anyways. Be dumb to not try and use powder I already have. H4895, H322..... kyode suggested varget maybe. Seen the imr 4064 in a lot of the load data books too. May try it. Ya never know. Working up loads and experimenting is a lot of fun imo.

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Posts: 448 | Location: Center of the world Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Rusty I used 33 grains H4895 and 120's in mine, don't remember the exact speed but it was in the mid 2300's.

Got a large buck the first season after getting it, the buck weighed 205# and that's a large deer in this neck of the woods, someone had put a load of #6 shot in one ham at some point. That same morning my that owned the property and his nephew took 2 other nice bucks also.

Had that barrel rechambered to a JDJ version using 444 brass.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Only load I've fired from my carbine barrel has been the "Bobby T" load.

140 gr Nosler CT over 36.0 grs of W-748 and a Fed 210 primer.

My fire forming loads were sub moa.

(subtract 1 full grain of powder for fire forming load).

Deer go "bang-flop".

Posts: 754 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 14” 7-30 Waters barrel for my T/C a couple of years ago. Amazingly accurate.

I originally started with Nosler 120gr BT bullets and Varget. I then switched to the Hornady 139gr SST using 32.5gr of Varget. Sub 1” groups all day long at 100 yards. I have not had a chance to shoot at longer distance.

I will be using my 7-30 this hunting season, but I’m hoping to christen the .44 barrel for my T/C first!

Lots of love for the 7-30 here!

Posts: 131 | Location: NEPA | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I use 120 BT over varget.

Took a good mule deer buck at 325 yards...it’s in the hunting section of the forum.

Also took an adult cow elk just under 150 yards.

Posts: 3629 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
I was actually pretty well decided on the 120gr BT. That’s several votes for varget so I think I’ll go that route. Plus if I don’t kyode will rip me for not using his suggestions. scratch head thanks for all the replies!!!

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
120 NBT and H4895 or Varget. I get better velocity with H4895 from 13" MGM barrel.

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6432 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of flipajig
posted Hide Post
120 Nosler BT and IMR 3031 works very well in my 15” bullberry 2500 FPS
Flip

Posts: 360 | Location: Idaho | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
AA2015 has worked for me for over 40 years with 120 grain and under bullets. I use 4895 for heavier bullets.

Posts: 335 | Location: USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In my 7-30 Waters 14" barrel back years ago, I used Varget with the Nosler 120 BT to achieve good accuracy and velocity. Velocity was in the upper 2400 range (2475 fps if I remember correctly).

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1542 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
I bought 100 new starline 30-30 win and sized them to 7-30. I went with Hodgdon data to work up a load as I was fireforming. Just for fun. Hodgdon data started at 31gr and went to a max of 34.5gr. So went to the range with my new contender today for the first time and started forming some brass. It went thru the 31 and 31.5 gr great. I was falling in love with this gun when I got up to 32gr. The first shot felt great but when I checked my case for pressure I had a split shoulder. I debated on what caused it but decided to try another one. I shot 3 more rounds and they were perfect. The 5th and last of my 32gr split another neck. Has anyone had this happen? Could it be the starline brass? Maybe just need to anneal even tho they were annealed from the factory?
I was nowhere near the high end of this and it showed no signs of pressure anywhere on the cases other than the split nicks. Leads me to believe the cases are too hard. Maybe needs annealed.....again. What are your suggestions on this?

On an up note I found another load for my 6ppc with vv n133 and Sierra matchking 70gr. I absolutely love my PPC. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Olrustyencore,

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I had to anneal new Starline to make both 7-30 and 3030ai

Posts: 3629 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Looks like I’m gonna pull some bullets. ohboy

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I had a Starline .44 Mag case split on the second reload. Fired, resized, etc. just like all my other brass. But, this was the only case in the batch that I had that was split. So yeah, could be just some bad or not up to snuff brass.

Posts: 131 | Location: NEPA | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Glad somebody else told him. He never believes me. laugh Razz

My first thought was it needs annealed, but ive not seen brand new brass do this until now.

He be fine. He Has connections with important people that owns an annealing machine.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've had Winchester brass do the exact same thing. Only lost 1 piece out of 100 pcs. I'm not sure if it's actually a "hardness" issue, or if it's a "forming" issue.

This is what the piece would have looked like before firing it:

[URL=

And here is the spot after firing:

[URL=

So, in my case, somewhere in the sizing process, I ended up with a crease in what would become the new shoulder area of the brass. I didn't notice this until all brass was already sized. So I'm not sure if the virgin 30-30 brass I was starting with had a deformed case that I just missed, or thought would "iron out" during the sizing/forming step (possibly this), or if some anomaly in that individual piece of brass caused it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Slowpoke Slim,

Posts: 754 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
I pulled the bullets and annealed all my brass. Kyle thinks maybe I didn’t anneal enough. Idk. But loaded some more up to fireform and went to range. Still same thing. Splitting shoulders. I’m not sure if it’s a hardness issue or if I’m loading too hot or.....? Any ideas why it’s happening? It’s splitting on the low end of 7-30 waters data so I don’t believe it’s too hot really. Actually not at all for 7-30 waters but the 30-30 case is pretty full. Used both varget and h4895. 120gr and 100gr. Seemed a little better with 120gr. I didn’t split as many with that load maybe?

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Have you fired a factory round in it yet? Or different brand of brass?

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1508 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
No I haven’t. I’ve fired maybe 10 shots in it and I’ve split 4 or 5shoulders. But all new starline 30-30 brass necked to 7mm in a 7-30 sizing die.

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Try using a bulkier/slower powder to give a compressed load and use a longer bullet -- one that can be seated to engage the rifling. That tends to give the case the utmost in support upon firing.

I haven't used Starline 30-30 to make 7-30 but have used WW, RP, Nosler, PPU, Hornady, bulk Federal and Federal Premium.

The Federal Premium was my favorite. The Nosler, PPU and Rem worked fine. Hornady was OK as long as it was trimmed to appl. 2.015" before firing; otherwise, tiny splits on the mouth would occur. W-W often was problematic with very thin brass in the shoulder area that tended to split like yours. The bulk Federal seemed to be the rejects from the Premium line and varied considerably in terms of length, weight, etc.

Give Starline a call. Maybe they had a problem with a certain lot #.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4065 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
I emailed starline but no reply. May give them a call.

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Bobby, what was it about the federal premium that you liked over the others?

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Olrustyencore:

It needed minimal prep, was consistent in neck thickness and gave me superb case life. Whether in a 6.5x30-30 AI or a 7-30, I don't recall any issues with it -- much like the scarce 7-30 Fed nickel-plated cases that also exhibited a high degree of quality.

Also, with both RP and WW, it was fairly common for me to cull 10-12 or more out of every 100 due to deep creases or other non-fixable abnormalities.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4065 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! If I don’t have any luck with the starline I might try it out.

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
quote:
Originally posted by Olrustyencore:

It needed minimal prep, was consistent in neck thickness and gave me superb case life. Whether in a 6.5x30-30 AI or a 7-30, I don't recall any issues with it -- much like the scarce 7-30 Fed nickel-plated cases that also exhibited a high degree of quality.

Also, with both RP and WW, it was fairly common for me to cull 10-12 or more out of every 100 due to deep creases or other non-fixable abnormalities.
Would you shoot both of these calibers on a regular Contender frame?

Posts: 39 | Location: Pa. | Registered: April 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dhom:
Would you shoot both of these calibers on a regular Contender frame?[/QUOTE]

I can’t speak for the 6.5x30-30AI as I’m not that familiar with it. I can say mgm offers this barrel only in G2 or Encore. I’m sure someone can give more insight on this caliber.
The 7-30 Waters however seems to be one of the most popular calibers for the contender. It definitely can be shot on a contender frame.

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

posted Hide Post
I would shoot either one in a Contender frame without concerns. I have a 7-30 Waters, and enough guys on here have had the 6 or 6.5x30-30's, both standard and "AI" chambers that I'm confident there would be no problems. If anything, the "AI" chambering would be even better, with less "bolt thrust" than the standard tapered case.

Obviously, standard loading practices and observations need to be followed, as with any loading.

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
So I emailed starline about my split shoulders, had to email them twice, the second time I got a pretty quick response. The guy asked to see pictures of my brass formed before being fired and also the split shoulder. I sent him the pictures and he replied yesterday saying he doesn’t know why it would be splitting especially since I annealed it and he is sending me some .375 win brass to try.....
I appreciate the customer support but that raises a question, has anyone here formed 7-30 with .375...... that was a stupid question Big Grin

and can it be sized to 7mm in one step? Do I need to step it down? 30 then 7 ?

The rep said it’s be less steps than using 30-30. So I’m assuming go straight to 7mm ?.?.? Which would be exactly the same amount of steps as the 30-30 brass. scratch head

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

posted Hide Post
I formed a few cases from 375 Win W-W cases. I did mine in a single pass thru the 7-30 Waters FL die. Some of them would end up with a wrinkle in the neck. Most would form just fine.

I only did a very few of these. Normally I used 7-30W brass or reformed 30-30 since those (30-30) were much more plentiful and cheap.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1542 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you have a 375 sizing die, run them all through that first, to make sure the neck areas are all straight and round. Else wise you may have distorted brass when you run it through the 7-30 sizer.

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have a 375 sizing die, run them all through that first, to make sure the neck areas are all straight and round. Else wise you may have distorted brass when you run it through the 7-30 sizer.

I run new 30-30 Brass through a sizing die first for the same reasons, also anneal the brass to help eliminate splits in the shoulders. (7-30 waters Improved)

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3488 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Hornady 7/30 Waters brass is available now.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1508 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BT:

I seen that, was thinking seriously about getting 100 or so. But I already have the 30-30 brass and starline is sending the 375 now so I hate to buy more.

Sometimes I’m cheap Big Grin but not even in the same ballpark as my “legend” cousin. laugh laugh

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dhom:
Would you shoot both of these calibers on a regular Contender frame?

I did just that for years, still have those frames and no issues whatsoever. I've gone through 2 6.5x30-30 AI barrels and at least 3 rifle-length 7-30s.

The only reason MGM specifies Encore in certain instances is that some genius took a 6 x 30-30 AI barrel they had made and foolishly tried to exceed .243 Win ballistics -- and blamed them when he ran into problems.

If you want one on a standard Contender, call and talk to the MGM guys. Once they know you are an experienced reloader and understand limits of the Contender, they'll chamber it for you.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BT:

I seen that, was thinking seriously about getting 100 or so. But I already have the 30-30 brass and starline is sending the 375 now so I hate to buy more.

Rusty if you are going to use 375 Win brass I suggest (from my experience) that you first straighten out the mouths of the brass then anneal, first size to 35 then 30 and finally 7mm. I just set mine up in my Dillon 550 adjusted each station then went to town sizing. Another thing I use Hornadys spray lube and it worked without spraying between each sizing.

I did the same thing when I sized down 30-30 to 20 Classic, had dies in all 4 stations.

Albert
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
20 Classic

Albert
Life Member NRA

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
Al I sized 50 last night. Went straight from 375 to 7-30. I seemed ok but today I was kinda wondering if I should’ve annealed first. You just answered my question. Thanks for the info!!

Rusty
—————————
Josey Wales

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
It won't hurt sizing first if you are having luck sizing them without any issues.

I first annealed the 30-30 brass and then the first die was 30 Herrett, then 7mm, 6mm, 22 and the final was 20 which I done in a separate sizing then trimming and final fireforming.

Albert
Life Member NRA