Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm single shot pistol bullets Login/Join 

posted
I have a complete box of Hornady 80gr single shot pistol bullets #2435
Are these ok to load in a 243 win.?

Posts: 416 | Location: WESTERN ,KENTUCKY | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
They are just fine in the 243 if you are using them for varmint's or target/plinking. They are not designed for deer at 243 velocities.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10313 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
The sierra sspb were designed for 2600fps if I remember right. You could load around that by data. I would assume the hornady similar, but ive never shot any.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
.....speaking of expansion on deer. Id sure shoot em up if it were me. If using for deer you might back off yer load some.

------------------------

Join the NRA

Posts: 9228 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Like noted above, at typical .243 rifle speeds, those bullets are very frangible. Keep the MV under 2750 fps, and you'll have a projectile that behaves like a typical game bullet as it will provide excellent expansion and adequate penetration.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4066 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I guess I'll just trade them for regular 6mm bullets

Posts: 416 | Location: WESTERN ,KENTUCKY | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You should have no problems selling or trading as they have been discontinued for years and are still in use by many 6mm-.223, 6TCU, 6BR, etc. shooters.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4066 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
My #1 bullet for my 6mm AI is the 85 gr. NPT. Killed deer out to 400 with it. Should do fine in your .243 for deer.

Posts: 1607 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This just gets better and better.

Posts: 756 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I thought they might explode on contact

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Shooting out of a rifle or a handgun? I rarely think of rifle on this site.

Be a great coyote bullet id say.

------------------------

Join the NRA

posted Hide Post
Kyode,

He's loading them for a bolt action rifle.

Tim,

Since you're cross posting this around, I'll just paste the same response here that I did at Greybeard:

-----------------------------------

You can still use them to shoot paper. They make nice holes in paper, very, very close together.

Would be just fine for practice, and for teaching a young shooter how to shoot.

Which was one of the things you were looking for, I believe?

------------------------------------

Shoot them. Shoot them up. Use them on paper. Use them to teach that Grandson how to shoot, and for practicing his marksmanship skills.

Then, when he's "ready" load some Deer Bullets and go hunting.

Wasn't that what you wanted?

Posts: 756 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Works for me, thought somebody might need them, but I'll sure burn through them.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
I have a stash of the Sierra 80 gr SSP bullets that shoots super accurate in my 6mm-225 Win 14" Contender barrel. I killed a few deer with them but running them average 2800 fps and most of my shots were between 50 & 100 yards the bullet was too soft for my liking. It would not exit and deer ran off a bit into the jungle of a cut over and did not leave much if any blood trail. The last few I killed with this bullet I waited until they were facing me and put their head down enough to where I could shoot them between the shoulders where the neck met the body. Bang flop. I demoted this barrel down to varmints and paper punching and got a 14" 30-30AI MGM barrel for deer. It does awesomely. With your Hornady SSP bullets running them in a 243 Win rifle you may run into the bullet coming apart in flight due to the thin jacket if you push it hard.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post