Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm TCU load development with SWM/Lovex Login/Join 

posted
Hi There!

Some US-production powders are hard to get even in the US and impossible to get over here in Europe. Thats not helping at all with load development for calibers other than 9mm, 308 and 223.

A (today) good avialable powder with good documented load data is Vihtavuori, and thats it. Personally I dont like VV that much and it is relatively expensive.
So I wonder if further load development without blowing ut the gun is possible Roll Eyes

Good avialable is also Lovex, branded as Shooters World Match. Some say it is nearly identical to the corresponding Accurate-powder. Has anyone experimented with SWM oder Lovex and knows how it compares to accurate?

Match Rifle is very close to the burn characteristics of AA2520 and Lovex D073.6. I know, its on the slow side. If you compare load data for different other calibers (eg. 223 and 308) the powder weights for AA2520, D073.6 and SWM Match rifle are all in the same ball park, only 1-2 grains difference.

So, maybe starting with an accurate min load for e.g. 7mm TCU and substitute it with Lovex/SWM would be safe... or not? Such experiments are experiments you should not do, therefore I ask.

Posts: 12 | Location: Germany | Registered: February 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'll be following the responses to this be cause I have a 6 & 7 TCU that I want to try but primers & powder are holding me back.

Posts: 100 | Location: louisiana | Registered: November 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The only Shooters World powder I have personal experience with is Precision, which is said to replicate VARGET. From what I can tell in using it in 3 different cartridges, it is extremely close in all characteristics to the virtually-non-existent Hodgdon offering.

Extreme spread has been very small, as have groups. So far, I am very pleased with it.

All I can tell you is to check data from multiple sources, interpolate if necessary and then err on the side of caution.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4612 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I got a 10" Contender in 7 TCU to be used with cast bullets in IHMSA.

Then I chambered a 7mm blank in 7 TCU to make a 16" AR-15. Folks that did this before me typically report that bullet selection was poor and held them back. Since I am now making my own custom bullet molds, this was not a problem for my 7 TCU AR project.

Part of why I did the 7 Tcu AR was that in the contender I found that I could use milsurp WC 844 (compare to H-335) in both 7 TCU and 30 Herrett. With two IHMSA guns (a 14" 30 Herrett & a 10" 7 Tcu) along with my "just for fun" 7 Tcu in an AR 15 it gave me an excuse to stock up with three 8lb jugs of WC-844.

I now feel that I can shoot 7mm Tcu ammo all I want with respect to bullets & powder. Primers are a different story cry

FYI, if you had not previously found this, it is a good reference:

Speer 130

Speer 145

They also have data for 110 gr and 160 gr bullets.

For the Lovex 73.6, my chart shows it to be about the same burn rate as AA2520, 4895 or BLC(2). This would be on the slow side for 130s, but pretty good for 145s or 160s.

I took the Speer AA 2520 data for the 145 and loaded it into Quickload (QL). The Speer data seems to indicate that their 29 gr load was not compressed, but Quickload said it would be. I am assuming that Speer had a batch of cases with more than typical internal volume. I increased the AOL to 2.650" to get case fill down to 100.4% and the calculated results were 2434 fps from a 28" barrel with a 45 ksi pressure.

I then switched to Lovex 73.6 with the same charge. Case fill was 102.7% (this powder seems to be a little more bulky), but velocity and pressure were the same.

I then went to the 130 and found no Speer data for AA 2520. I used the BLC(2) data instead. Again, their data indicated 30 gr of BLC(2) was not compressed, but QL said it would be at their AOL. I increased AOL to 2.550" to get 100.8% case fill. Results were 2509 fps at 42.1 ksi.

With Lovex 73.6, I had to drop the charge down to 29.33 gr to get the same pressure and the velocity was 2514 fps. Case fill was 104.4%, so again a little more bulky than the reference powder.

FYI, Lovex 73.5 is supposed to be real close to H-335. I ran the 130 comparison again. Speer data again required and AOL adjustment to get case fill down to 100%. QL inputs for the Speer case were 29.4 gr H335 an AOL of 2.520 for a case fill of 100.5%. Velocity was 2660 fps at a very warm 54.6 ksi. With Lovex 73.5, case fill went up to 102.2%, velocity went to 2578 fps and pressure came down to a still warm 50.6 ksi.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul Flados,

Paul Flados

Posts: 43 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
The only Shooters World powder I have personal experience with is Precision, which is said to replicate VARGET. From what I can tell in using it in 3 different cartridges, it is extremely close in all characteristics to the virtually-non-existent Hodgdon offering.

That sounds promising. Testing one powder in different calibers to get an idea of the burning speed makes finding completely new load data a little bit safer.

quote:
I took the Speer AA 2520 data for the 145 and loaded it into Quickload (QL). The Speer data seems to indicate that their 29 gr load was not compressed, but Quickload said it would be. I am assuming that Speer had a batch of cases with more than typical internal volume. I increased the AOL to 2.650" to get case fill down to 100.4% and the calculated results were 2434 fps from a 28" barrel with a 45 ksi pressure.

Thank you very much for your time putting the data into QL. I use GRT (worth checking out - its QL for free), but I have to create the 7mm TCU as a new caliber since it doesnt exist in the program data base. I'll try that later.

Seems you can fill the case completely with AA2520 using a 145gn bullet.SWM Match Rifle/ Lovex D073.6 should be very close to AA. Maybe starting with 2.650 OAL, 145gn bullet and 25-26gn SWM Match Rifle/ D073.6 would be a reasonable thing to try.

Posts: 12 | Location: Germany | Registered: February 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I use a good bit of SW pistol powders and like them. They do mirror AA powders quite well. The only rifle powder I use is BLKout for the 300BO and it works well also. I think it would work well in the 7TCU also.

Posts: 348 | Location: USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just want to give a short update on the load development.

I tested a few loads with lighter bullets:

case: PMC, already fireformed (tested also GGG, first firing for case forming - works also great)
primer: CCI 450
bullet: Speer TNT 284" 110gn
OAL: 63mm
powder: D073.5, 27.0gn - 28.0gn (27 works best)

A safe load in my gun, about 1" groups at 50m (7x scope). Try at your own risk Wink