Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 TCU Collet Die Login/Join 

Picture of ErnieS
posted
I have a 7mm/08 Lee Collet Die I use on both the 7mm/08 and 7/30 Waters. Has anyone used one for the 7TCU?

Posts: 85 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm prowling all the old posts this morning. This one never got a response. I am looking for a collet die like Lee makes to work for 7 TCU also. Wondered if anyone has any ideas or if you know of another die maker that makes something similar. According to Lee, they never made a collet neck sizer for 7 TCU. But I don't like using the expander type dies for neck sizing. Any thoughts?

Posts: 434 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
When you say expander type are you referring to the expander on the decapping rod? You could go to a Redding S bushing Neck sizer.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1582 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
At one time Lee would make a custom collet die. They stopped awhile back I believe because of a backlog of work but I haven’t looked in awhile to see if they do them now. I thought of having one made for my 22br.

Bruce

Posts: 950 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have to admit I am not sure how the other dies work, but the Lee die has a collet that sizes the brass to a mandrel and requires no lube(terminology??) while other types of dies have like an expander type of arrangement (??) that goes through the neck and sizes on the way out (??) and requires lube?? I tried my neighbors old lyman neck sizer die and haven't got it right yet. May need some tweaking in the set up and lube department. Collapsed a couple of shoulders. Point being, I think I need someone with experience to provide a tutorial on how to neck size only with the 7 TCU without wasting brass! Fireforming went exceptionally well. I opened the 223 brass in stages and didn't crack a single neck. Ammo was accurate even during fireforming. I have always neck sized other calibers in Encore and Contender with Lee Collet dies and wish they had one for 7 TCU. I called them and they said they could make one custom - but it was way pricey. Could you say more about the Redding neck sizer "S" busing die and how that works. Obviously a novice here with the TCU. I have the RCBS full length 2 die set which works fine. But it seems like it would be overkill to full length size every loading with this caliber.

Posts: 434 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I should add that I have read online that some guys do a "partial" sizing with their full length dies to get just the neck only, but others think a dedicated neck sizer die is the best way to go. I would tend to agree. But not having experience with any of it with the TCU - I'm looking for advice on which way to go and the best way to set up from those of you who have been doing this for years. I'm coming to the game late in life. The people at Lee seem to think you can't substitute or modify one of their other 7mm dies to work with the TCU because their collet dies are caliber specific in terms of length.

posted Hide Post
I have a Pacific 7 tcu neck sizing die I bought a few years ago.It's not for sale at this time.
There are a few neck sizing Dies for sale on ****.

Posts: 163 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have seen a few of those over on the unmentioned site. How do you like it - and how does it work?

posted Hide Post
It works great I don't remember if I used any lubricant or not.

Posts: 163 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
The type S-Bushing die uses a bushing to do the neck sizing. It fits inside the die and self centers. If you get the titanium nitride bushing you do not need to use lube. They do cost a little more for the die and then you need to get the appropriate bushing. To determine the bushing required you measure the neck with a bullet seated and then subtract .002-.003. The beauty is you can regulate your neck tension with the bushing you choose because it only sizes from the outside and doesn't over work the brass like a normal die or standard neck sizer where it sizes it down and then pulls the expander ball through to bring the neck to the proper size to seat a bullet.
Hope this makes sense.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1582 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the Redding S bushing die. That sounds like something I would be interested in, although I'm sure it's a little pricey too. Like the idea of sizing from the outside and having a bushing that doesn't require lube. Thanks for all the replies!

posted Hide Post
I use an RCBS 7tcu neck sizing die. I got tired of sticking brass in the full length sizing die.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged. Eight generation Texan.

Posts: 27 | Location: Paris, TX | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post