Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I Need a BR Primer Pocket Uniformer? Login/Join 

posted
Hey guy,
I sent this same question to Sinclair's/Brownell's, but they really didn't answer the question so I'll see what the wisdom of SP has to say. I've been using a Sinclair SR primer pocket uniformer since the mid 90's on the brass for my 22, 6mm and 25 BR handguns. For the 22 BR I've been using R-P brass, but I use Lapua and Peterson on the others. I see that Sinclair now makes a primer pocket uniformer for Lapua BR brass. Do I need to buy the new uniformer or just adjust the cutter on my older uniformer to cut to the BR depth? Why shouldn't I cut the primer pocket the same depth on all my brass, whether Lapua, BR or standard? Confused

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1379 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of captain John
posted Hide Post
I haven’t found a need for it with premium brass like Lapua, Peterson looks pretty good also, but this is my first box.
I always use it on “other” brass as their primer holes vary in depth.

IHMSA Industry Director
IHMSA Region 5 Director
Minnesota State IHMSA Director
IHMSA 39199Life
NRA life Member

Posts: 394 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have the Sinclair carbide large/small rifle and large pistol primer uniformers. Use the small uniformer on Remington and Lapua brass and see no difference

Posts: 1896 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Your best bet is work up a batch and test. Will the labor be necessary for the distance you'll be shooting? Yada Yada.

Posts: 35 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Steve E
posted Hide Post
Without a full blown target/bench rest type rifle I don't think you'll see much difference. That being said I used to uniform all rifle primer pockets but give it up as an unneeded step in most of my rifles. Several years ago I mic'ed some virgin cases and found 40 that needed uniforming as far as depth goes and shot 20 as is and 20 uniformed. I shot the test twice (80 round total @100 yds) and in a 6mm Remington 700 BDL with a bull barrel, it didn't seem to make any difference in groups. Some people it has a marked difference for me not so much.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 640 | Location: SEMO | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post