Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else here shooting PRS? Login/Join 

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
Just curious if anyone else has been bitten by the bug of PRS shooting, center fire or rimfire??

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If I were 15 years younger, I probably would. I'm now retired, both knees have been scoped, rotator cuff surgery, and a few other "after market" parts have been added to me.
I have shot in some long range varmint silhouette matches out west, and have copied and scaled back those matches to shoot a similar format here in Indiana with rimfire out to 200 yards. Kind of a cross of silhouette and f-class, with allowances for our physically less abled to fire from a bench. Lotsa fun. CZ, Savage, Ruger rifles and optics that typically total $800.

Posts: 753 | Location: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: August 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aggshooter:
If I were 15 years younger, I probably would. I'm now retired, both knees have been scoped, rotator cuff surgery, and a few other "after market" parts have been added to me.
I have shot in some long range varmint silhouette matches out west, and have copied and scaled back those matches to shoot a similar format here in Indiana with rimfire out to 200 yards. Kind of a cross of silhouette and f-class, with allowances for our physically less abled to fire from a bench. Lotsa fun. CZ, Savage, Ruger rifles and optics that typically total $800.
You should check out NRL22, I think they have clubs shooting it in Indiana. Very enjoyable matches and they have allowances for physical limitations. The matches I attend has a guy that shoots it from a wheelchair. Wink

mike

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple PRS matches and went through an Elite Accuracy training class. I learned a ton about reading wind and calling my shots. I would shoot more of them, but then I'll have to build a dedicated rifle for it, and I don't have the funds at the moment.

Posts: 506 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
They do have NRL here in Indiana, and it has been suggested that we run those matches. I think those events are set up for 100 yard ranges.

I fell in love with the format of the long range (highpower) match I attended out west, so we shoot the rimfire version of it because we have the facility to shoot 200y, and because nobody around here offers anything like it.

Nothing against NRL, it is a great thing. I wanted to take advantage of what our facility offers. 3/8 scale turkey silhouettes are not a gimme at 200y when shooting from a bipod and shouldering the butt of the rifle.

Our next match is one we call "20 straight". 20 targets in a row at the same distance. Three distances: 110, 165, & 200y. I may drag out the Exemplar and have a run at them!!!

Posts: 753 | Location: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: August 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hook, line and sinker...haven't shot much in this discipline this year due to conflicts, but I've got the gear now (and then some).

What you been playing with Mike?

Posts: 604 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Have a local, less than an hour's drive, weekly 50-60 round match that I've shot several times now. The guy running it is a real competitor and his coaching has helped a lot! These matches don't go past 725 so I'm running an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel with Sierra 107TMK's.

The match director is working with another facility, that's also about an hour's drive, that currently has targets out to 1400 yards. In order to be somewhat competitive there, I'm building a 224 Valkyrie upper for the above AR15. Plan is to run Sierra 90MK which should stay super to that distance.

I've also been shooting the monthly NRL22 matches, since spring, at a club about 2 hours from me. These are such a blast and so inexpensive to shoot, especially if you run in Base class.

So, I guess you can say I'm completely bitten too. laugh

mike

posted Hide Post
Fun stuff!

I ran a Grendel in a Designated Marksman series for the first couple of years (team and individual matches), and then built a 22 Grendel this year for the PRS Gas Gun series. Running 80 ELD-M's just over 3000 fps out of a small frame gas gun!

Shot in one smaller team match this year with a 5.56 gasser and won Tac class shooting the 73 ELD-M's out of Krieger barreled uppers

And then there are the bolt rifles...^.5 Creeds, 6 Creeds, a new 6 Dasher, 308's for Tac Heavy, etc I should have an intervention if I didn't like it sooo much!

Posts: 604 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SChunter:
Fun stuff!

I ran a Grendel in a Designated Marksman series for the first couple of years (team and individual matches), and then built a 22 Grendel this year for the PRS Gas Gun series. Running 80 ELD-M's just over 3000 fps out of a small frame gas gun!
I'm really liking my Grendel for the matches above. No recoil, fast back on target (if I don't see my hit) and the thing is amazingly accurate!

22 Grendel, where'd you get your barrel? I had thought about one but I'm so stuck on Ballistic Advantage barrels, with their accuracy, that I don't even look outside of them...

mike

posted Hide Post
Mike - first one I went with Baldwin Gun works and their 22BGW reamer. I know Jim Cannon and his Tactical Cannon line is turning out a good product as well.

I have a couple of blanks and a reamer in the works for for my next 22 Grendel.