Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39 ruger mini 30 Login/Join 

Picture of tdoyka
posted
late this summer, i plan to buy a new ruger mini 30(wood stock) in 7.62x39. when it comes time i can't shoot my big bores, it will be my close-in(100 yards and less) deer gun. now i don't want the mini 30 to be an "ammo dump". i'll reload everything, cast or jacketed bullets, never a fmj, i don't like them. i think i'll buy a 150gr sst and/or a 150+gr fn gc cast boolit. it will be scoped with a 2-7x or 3-9x leupold. i'm planning on going 2 - 3" at 100 yards, 3 - 5 shots.

what do you all think?

i don't like the ar's and ak's and the sks. i've shot them(US Army) and to be frank, they aren't a hunting rifle. i know most of you like the ar, ak and sks and you use them well. thats good, but in my mind, they aren't.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Unless they changed the regs this year, still can't use semi autos for big game in pa...

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
I am loading the 123 gr Xtreme and R-P 125 gr in mine. So far I am very happy with this gun.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
Unless they changed the regs this year, still can't use semi autos for big game in pa...

i have a disability permit due to a bad stroke. my right arm/leg is about 15% good.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Ah, remembered you'd had a stroke but didn't know they'd allow you to use a semi. Good for you, hope you are successful with it!

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In my experience the 150 gr bullets in 7.62x39 are just too heavy. They take up way too much case capacity to allow enough velocity to expand a bullet. As for cast bullets on game use there is really not that much difference between a cast bullet and a FMJ they both just poke a caliber size hole through things most of the time. Only plus would be if the FMJs that are designed for the 7.62x39, 123 gr, usually will yaw or tumble after a few inches of penetration thus really improve the destruction. I have killed quite a number of deer with cast bullets from a number of pistols .357 and larger and with 45-70 rifle. If you do not put the bullet into the shoulders which imparts a bunch of shock plus bone fragments flying into the lungs and much of the time puts them on the ground, they usually run off a ways until they bleed out and if the bullet is not a SWC or wide flat nose that will cut a good hole in the hide the blood does not exit and thus they do not leave a good blood trail. At least that has been my experience.

A Lapua case full of H322 29.0 grs, Rem 9 1/2 primer, Hornady .310 123 gr. SP bullet is a tack driver in both my Yugo SKS rifles and this bullet does a good job on deer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shot1,

Posts: 1070 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just bought one of these new Ruger Americans. I love it already. I reload for all my other guns and I have decided to never load for this one. I wanted a cheap "let it fly" ammo gun to shoot with my can. I have only had it out twice, but I love it so far. So pleasant to shoot with my can.
Red Army 124gr HTPB steel cased rounds, grouped very well and the chrony data shows extreme spread of 32 and std deviation of 10. Can't ask for more than that.

kware

Posts: 178 | Location: Western Missouri | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i was at my lgs yesterday and they had a cz 572 in 7.62×39. fortunately i didn’t have the money to buy it!!!! but now i have a dilemma, do i want a ruger mini 30 or a cz 572?

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tdoyka:
i was at my lgs yesterday and they had a cz 572 in 7.62×39. fortunately i didn’t have the money to buy it!!!! but now i have a dilemma, do i want a ruger mini 30 or a cz 572?

I am actually getting ready to buy a youth model 527 in 7.62x39. Several younger kids at our church really want to go hunting, and I've been using Contenders for them, but a lot of them struggle with the hammer. So I'm going to see how the 527 does. I really like the ones I have, great little rifles. Never gave much thought to the ol 7.62x39, but seems like it would be a great youth gun and plenty cheap to shoot for them to practice. Just my opinion, but I'd much rather have the 527 over the Mini 30.

Posts: 506 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redhaven:
quote:
Originally posted by tdoyka:

I am actually getting ready to buy a youth model 527 in 7.62x39. Several younger kids at our church really want to go hunting, and I've been using Contenders for them, but a lot of them struggle with the hammer. So I'm going to see how the 527 does. I really like the ones I have, great little rifles. Never gave much thought to the ol 7.62x39, but seems like it would be a great youth gun and plenty cheap to shoot for them to practice. Just my opinion, but I'd much rather have the 527 over the Mini 30.

it s seems to me too!!!

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS