Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Project Ready for Testing Login/Join 

posted
Purchased a Remington 700sps in 308 Winchester with the Hogue Overmolded Stock. Didn't particularly care for that stock. So I changed it out to a Magpul 700 Hunter Stock with their magazine well. Then I added a Weaver 20 MOA Extended Base with a set of Weaver 30mm Medium height 6 hole rings to hold the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope with BDC reticle. Lastly I added a Green Blob 6.5-9inch Bipod. Now to get some range time to tryout different loads to see what it likes.

Darryl

------------------------------
Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

Posts: 3253 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
The clone I had really liked Varget with Sierra 168's. I put it in an hsp stock and it really shot well, 5/8" 5-shot groups at 100 was normal.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19014 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My SPS is in .223, so I can't help much with loads unless you want the loads I use in my old Rem 700 VS or my Savage 10FP. For what it's worth, I use 175gr SMKs in the VS and cast in the 10FP. A friend has a SPS in .308 and swears by anything that weighs 168grs. I've heard of, but haven't yet seen a SPS heavy barreled rifle that wouldn't shoot excellent groups, so I bet you will be very pleased.

Posts: 179 | Location: TX | Registered: July 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Doing case prep work in preparation of reloading, you know the drill
1. Deprime/Debur cases
2. Turn case necks
3. Clean & polish cases
4. Prime cases etc.

Gathered up some 30cal bullets to do some loading, founds some Sierra 168gr International H.P.'s and some 200gr Matchking H.P.'s. These were left over from my days of big bore sillywet matches. Also have some Nosler 165gr Spitzer's to try out. We'll have to see if the gun likes any of these. I believe my old go to powder was H380, but I'm going to also try Varget and go from there.

Darryl

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

Posts: 3253 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post