Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One lite weight hunting rifle Login/Join 

posted
I throw the door on the safe open and have this same thought every year, why do I need to have a dozen rifles......I could cull several and buy a Forbes, Kimber or Cooper. One caliber to go from white tails to elk. Same load,same bullet, same gun, no muss no fuss, just grab it and go.

I looked at Kimbers web site at their mountain ascent, 308,708 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Why no 260?
I think in a more vanilla flavor of cartridge on this. Why? If one were to travel and ammo and gun get separated it should be a common cartridge. Go to the middle
Of nowhere USA and try to find 280AI or even 280. I don't think the 6.5CM would be any easier to find than .260.
So on this short action I am thinking .308.

If I do jump into one of these rifles, I am thinking 308,270,30-06 or 300WM and a very slight lean towards a 300WSM.

I am all ears here as I know several have hand cannons in these cartridges as well.
Jeff

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsh,

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2720 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would stick to the 308 or 30'06 for the ammo reason you mentioned above. There isn't anything either one of those won't do and you can probably find the ammo anywhere. If you really want the lightest rifle then go with the 308. The rifle will be lighter and shorter. I have a Kimber Montana in '06 (84L)and like it but look longingly at the 308. I've had the same conversation with myself often and do pretty well right up to the point where I pick one of the stable up and think of selling it. Sad

Posts: 1183 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: June 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
I would concentrate on what one caliber would best fit my needs. Since anything that will cleanly take elk will also take anything smaller would lead me to look at the .30-06 as the do all caliber. Factory ammo if you don't reload is available with bullets from 110 to 220 grains and it is available everywhere if you were to leave home without packing it or losing it on a flight, etc.
I would look for a Rem 700 Ti and have a go anywhere lightweight rig.

Posts: 2330 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would limit myself too 400 yards,and that being in near perfect conditions.
A 4/13 rifle, scope and ammo, I don't think would hit 6lbs. I wish the barrel was 2" longer myself.

As to the ammo. Had that discussion. I would be really tempted to taste test several varieties of ammo just to know what it liked in that circumstance.

I admit to being a "rifle looney". When I started casting, a few deer seasons back, I shot five deer with five different calibers in five different rifles.
Tried the same with handguns and got three. Then to throw a mix in there I have contracted revolveritis. Have aims of doing the same with a wheel gun.

That thing called a job sure gets in the way of my hobbies.

Posts: 2720 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Kimber, not that I'm a kimber fan, makes a light weight bolt gun 308 in stainless that's really nice. Local shop has one I've handled that I found very comfortable. Don't remember what they call it...

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You might consider a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather. Not as light or pretty as some others but they have nice triggers and my 308 shoots great for a factory rifle. No worries about rain or snow either.

====================

"Preach the Gospel. Even use words if you have to."

Posts: 1896 | Location: SW MO | Registered: November 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bear Skinner
posted Hide Post
I've not owned a Kimber but did have a 7mmWSM Winchester. First day at the range about 4 shots in with factory ammo, the bolt extractor snapped off like a toothpick. Granted I can be heavy handed with these old mits but I hardly put any pressure on that snug case. Then I noticed how small the extractor was. Fixed it. Sold it. Not saying they are bad rifles it just didn't sit well with me.
My friend said try his 300winmag. I must say I was impressed with that round. Shot 2 deer that never left there tracks however one was at a lower angle and quartering shot. Ending up blowing half a backstrap off getting to the boiler-room. What I really liked about it was that the kick seemed more like a push than a whack you get from some other short actions.

Posts: 2277 | Location: East Coast, NC | Registered: December 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This isn't an accuracy, reliability or caliber issue. I have several excellent rigs that shoot MOA with their respective hunting loads.
I find my favorite bolt gun, repeater, gets heavier and heavier through the season. 25-06 700 mountain rifle, which is light by some standards.
I have shot a few of the ultra lites,but opportunity to pack one around for a week has not offered its self.
Being lite, yes recoil can be more noticeable in most calibers. These are made to pack around, "harvest" a critter, clean, back in the safe for 11 months. Then when back out, the shoot to the same POA as the year before.
I have and will retain several rigs just to "play" with.

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Got to be a repeater? I'm sure you could make up a nice light weight encore rig...

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a 28" pro hunter 243 that shoots like a laser. 80 grain GMX running 3500 and change with a dose of hybrid 100V.
It packs nice and all, holds MOA out to around 500 when the winds not blowing.
Believe you me that it has crossed my mind, but going to a 270WW in a 28" tube a 150 SST and a dose of reloader 26, it will think it is a 7 mag for sure.

Honestly part of these thoughts are in down sizing,but up grading at the same time. Thus my wants of a high end pure to the bone hunting rifle.

They say you go full circle and it surely is true. I had pretty much swore off of wildcats,yet just picked up a 10" 357 Herret last week.
I started off with rifles because we know that handguns are good to about 50 yards if your a real good shot laugh Then of course you have to use those full length gas check type bullets paperbag
I stop and look back close to 20 years now that this place got put together. We should all thank Mike,but he knows as well that, this place wouldn't have been possible without a lot of help from good people.
I will whittle on these long guns some but what would I do with all the time without a wheel barrow full of barrels,revolvers and specialty pistols?!

posted Hide Post
If you can find a Forbes Model 20 in .308 or 7mm-08, I'd say that'd be a great option. It is basically a NULA, but not hand made by Melvin Forbes. I have a Forbes 24 in a 35 Whelen, and if I could only have one rifle, that'd be it. Very light, yet mild recoil, and shoots way better than I can with factory Fusion ammo. I like them a lot better than the Kimber's I've shot. I had a Mod 20 .308 for a short time, but ended up getting talked out of it by a friend.

Posts: 506 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know I am a little late to this party, but have you taken a look at Montana Rifle Company rifles?

They are a bit more beefy than the Kimbers and much better quality than the Winchesters.

I wouldn't call the Extreme a "lightweight", but it would definitely be a mid-weight.

As for chambering, I went through the same thing a while back and went with 6.5X284. I realize that it won't be available everywhere, but if I do end up shooting factory ammo in it, I will have some delivered to my location prior to my trip so that it is there when I get there. That is the power of the internet!

Mike B.

1st Toadie and Captain of the Lemming Guard

Posts: 1628 | Location: Missouri | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post